Making bushings
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Making bushings

Downloads
    Uploads

Making bushings

I'm planning to replace the old rubber bushings (which are in absolutely terrible shape) of my car with new self made ones.

I've heard that poly acetal (POM) would be quite good material for this purpose. Maybe not as good as poly urethane, but still better than rubber or nylon, easy to work with, and about at 1/5 of the price of PU (at least in here). I have not heard any negative comments about using POM, but not many positive either. :-) Anyway, I think it's worth of trying.

I was wondering if anyone had ready dimensions of the bushings for pre '70 GT. That would make my life sooo much easier. :-) Especially if the original metal sleeves could be still used. If I can't find dimensions anywhere I'll probably have to try measure them somehow. But well, that shouldn't be impossible either?

Lasse H.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Senior Contributor
    Real Name
    Travis Woodbury
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why not just buy poly bushings? They are quite inexpensive and will save you lots of hassles. You can get them through OGTS in the US or likely through Lenk in Germany. If your looking for all out performance(Racing) have some made in Delrin AF. Although I have not yet personally used it for suspension bushings I have used it in other applications where low stiction was a priority. Others have used Delrin AF quite sucessfully in their race cars.

-Travis

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe you're right. At least that would be *a lot* of easier. I'll think about it. The price of a ready bushings set would be something between 180-200 dollars or euros in USA or Germany? Money transfer, shipping, etc. adds probably about 20 euros.
    On the other hand, one meter of 40mm diameter POM costs here 28 euros (PU 142 euros!) and I can buy that on my way home. Manufacturing of the bushings would probably cost me nothing (only the materials, bolts and sleeves if needed).
    I'm working with quite tight budget, but if I'm going to spend all my money to this GT anyway... ;-)

Lasse

Thread Information