GT Body Unit Production Numbers - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: GT Body Unit Production Numbers

Real Name
    Bruce
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just looked at my 69 - it also just has 4 numbers in the stamp without a 'U'.

When I was replacing the right rear brake cylinder I saw what appeared to be a month/year stamp on the frame - has anyone else seen that?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    If it's not leaking oil - it's out of oil!
    1969 Opel GT
    2004 330i ZHP
    2008 SRT4

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Opelupogus View Post

When I was replacing the right rear brake cylinder I saw what appeared to be a month/year stamp on the frame - has anyone else seen that?

There should be a date stamp near the panhard bar body mount.

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There's also that silver early GT now up for sale, whose owner could also be asked for the number stamped next to his radiator.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Brad
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My US spec 1969 GT VIN 94187XXXX has # "7069" stamped in the front cross bar about 1 foot behind the bumper. Perhaps it means July 1969?

I also have a 1973, but no # in that location, unless it is hidden underneath some paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Opelupogus View Post

Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Steve Daniels
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opeljohn View Post
    Steve
    If I read the post from Jose correctly, it would seem your GT Crispy came off the B&L line and may have been meant for something other than the US market. He states the GT's from B&L in 69 had no marks other than the number. He also says the U was a designator for the US Market and had cut outs for the side marker lights. Any chance crispy was sold outside the US?
    John not sure of Crispy's early history but I have a old magazine (November 1969 Poupular Imported Cars) with a 1969 split bumper GT green with buckskin interior on the front cover.....maby it is crispy? how many green split bumper built???
    Steve

1970 yellow Gt (Good girl)
    1970 red Gt (Ozz)
    1969 silver Aero Gt (Oscar)
    1969 Green Aero Gt (Crispy)

"You have learned much,young one"
    "Your destiny lies with me"
    "It is ussless to resist"
    "There is no excape"
    "You have only begun to discover your power"
    "JOIN ME.... AND I WILL COMPLETE YOUR TRAINING"
    With our combined strength,we can end this distructive conflict and bring order to the OPEL GALAXY
    If you only knew the power of the ....
    OPEL SIDE

4,000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads

Promotion GT´S

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Daniels View Post
    John not sure of Crispy's early history but I have a old magazine (November 1969 Poupular Imported Cars) with a 1969 split bumper GT green with buckskin interior on the front cover.....maby it is crispy? how many green split bumper built???
    Steve
    Steve
    I mean,in this colour most of the first promotion GT`s for showrooms by the US-dealer
    going at first over the pond.
    That is also i wrote in your Aero thread.I would rebuild this GT original
    But now its to late

Norbert

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was just rereading Projekt 1484, beginning at the lower half of page 63. If I read this correctly, by March B&L had reached their capacity of 80 GTs per day, so at that time some GT bodies began to be shipped directly from Chausson to Bochum to be finished with parts kits sent from B&L. If I have misinterpreted this, someone who reads German more fluently than I do please correct me. If I am right here, there can be no "Bochum finished" GTs produced before March 1969, regardless of the body stampings. Bill

Real Name
    José
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Steve,
    i really dont want to disappiont you but i dont think that the GT from the cover picture is identical with your GT. I estimate the build date from your GT is around middle of jan 69. The are two other much more older US spec GT in british green.
    94 16 7235 & 94 16 7679 both from the end of dec 68.
    But even this cars have probably nothing to doe with the cover picture.

The most important reason for me are the missing trim rings. This is tipically for the the very first press pictures. Even in germany almost every GT missed during september and october 68 the trim rings.

I know this issue from „Popular imported cars“ but i dont find my copy currentley. Is it the November issue from 68 ore 69? If it is the 68 issue it is impossible to be your GT.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bill
    Something that would seem to contradict your reading of project 1484 is the aluminum data plate on the cowl of Eric Schmidts 69 GT with the BUN of U790BB. In fact I want to go back and look at it again but I am sure where the data plate on Steve's Crispy says "Made in West Germany", the one on Eric's GT says "Made in January". I hope to get with Eric in the next few days to take some photos.

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bill
    Something that would seem to contradict your reading of project 1484 is the aluminum data plate on the cowl of Eric Schmidts 69 GT with the BUN of U790BB. In fact I want to go back and look at it again but I am sure where the data plate on Steve's Crispy says "Made in West Germany", the one on Eric's GT says "Made in January". I hope to get with Eric in the next few days to take some photos.
    I have three GT bodies right now and they all say "Made in West Germany." Bill

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Jose and I have been trading e-mails for a couple of days. He told me that there is a new book about the GT coming out in mid July. It is by Stefan Mueller, who was one of the authors of the original Projekt 1484 book. In the brochure which describes the book, Jose is thanked as one of the sources of information for the book. Gil Wesson is also mentioned. I will order a copy of the book when it becomes available.

It is my understanding that Jose has been researching these body stamping numbers for a long time and probably knows more about them than anyone else. He told me that he had seen the very first production GT and its stamping was U1001, not U0001 as we might expect. He also saw, and has pictures of, a pre-production GT. Jose, I believe that everyone on OpelGT.com would appreciate it if you posted those pictures. He also mentioned another discrepancy which has been nagging at me for some time. On page 183 of Projekt 1484, it says that B&L produced a total of 1,866 finished GT bodies during 1968, but exported only 1453 of them. However, and here is where the discrepancy comes in, on page 63, it says that French railroad records showed that they transported 2176 car bodies, 1408 in December alone, from the rail yard at Creil, where B&L is located, to Bochum during 1968. How do we account for this difference of 723 car bodies? As Jose said, you find the answer to one question and it opens up a couple more questions. Bill
    Last edited by wklopf; 07-07-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Real Name
    José
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The preproduction GT with the body nr. 1001 (without „U“ because it es a euro spec) i mention in a mail to Bill, is part of the „Opel Classic Collection“ at the plant in Rüsselsheim.
    Everyone who visit this collection can view this GT.
    It is the red one. I think i have already seen pics here taken and posted from Gary.
    This GT was original gold painted and the VIN reads 93 15 63794.

The other one is much older, 94 15 58200. It is in private hand and anfortunately i dont have the premission to post pictures.
    No body nr. we scratch the location to bare metal!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Time for me to eat some crow and apologize to Bill. Sometimes what we remember has nothing to do with reality. The data plate on Eric's GTs do in fact say "Made in West Germany". Not sure what I thought I saw but, Oh Well.

Anyway I took the Motor from Doug Strasser out to Eric's barn today and got some photos.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And a few more.

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Time for me to eat some crow and apologize to Bill. Sometimes what we remember has nothing to do with reality. The data plate on Eric's GTs do in fact say "Made in West Germany". Not sure what I thought I saw but, Oh Well.

Anyway I took the Motor from Doug Strasser out to Eric's barn today and got some photos.
    Don't worry about it, John, I haven't been. I can think of some times that I was 100% sure of something which turned out to be wrong, so welcome to the club. You can send an e-mail to Opel with the VIN and they can tell you the date when it was built. I did this some time back and I can send you the address if you would like. Bill

Real Name
    Steve Daniels
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wklopf View Post
    Don't worry about it, John, I haven't been. I can think of some times that I was 100% sure of something which turned out to be wrong, so welcome to the club. You can send an e-mail to Opel with the VIN and they can tell you the date when it was built. I did this some time back and I can send you the address if you would like. Bill
    Can you post the email link.....I think alot of us here on the site would contact Opel for that information.
    Steve

1970 yellow Gt (Good girl)
    1970 red Gt (Ozz)
    1969 silver Aero Gt (Oscar)
    1969 Green Aero Gt (Crispy)

"You have learned much,young one"
    "Your destiny lies with me"
    "It is ussless to resist"
    "There is no excape"
    "You have only begun to discover your power"
    "JOIN ME.... AND I WILL COMPLETE YOUR TRAINING"
    With our combined strength,we can end this distructive conflict and bring order to the OPEL GALAXY
    If you only knew the power of the ....
    OPEL SIDE

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Daniels View Post
    Can you post the email link.....I think alot of us here on the site would contact Opel for that information.
    Steve
    When I did it I got the reply from [email protected]. That was over three years ago, so the person doing this might have changed. I believe that it will be forwarded to the right person. Bill

Downloads
    Uploads
    I went back and looked at the photos of the U790BB GT again. Noticed it looks to have been painted at least three times. First Gold then Yellow then White. Made me think about the stories of the "Get Smart GT" being painted several times.
    Could it be?

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by V8GT View Post
    The preproduction GT with the body nr. 1001 (without „U“ because it es a euro spec) i mention in a mail to Bill, is part of the „Opel Classic Collection“ at the plant in Rüsselsheim.
    Everyone who visit this collection can view this GT.
    It is the red one. I think i have already seen pics here taken and posted from Gary.
    This GT was original gold painted and the VIN reads 93 15 63794.
    Jose, Is this the one?

Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wklopf View Post
    On page 183 of Projekt 1484, it says that B&L produced a total of 1,866 finished GT bodies during 1968, but exported only 1453 of them.
    If memory serves.. its these 1,866 and 1,453 numbers that were on the document I referenced a while back that was on Opel letter head, if memory serves it also documented only 18 1.1L built and shipped at that time.
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"

In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information