GT Body Unit Production Numbers - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: GT Body Unit Production Numbers

Real Name
    José
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, exact that is the car.
    For the people who dont know, the gentleman next to Grary ist the desingner from the GT, Erhard Schnell.

This GT „never leave the factory“ i.e. never was sold. Low miles (Kilometer)

Unfortunately repainted and several parts not original but in some aeras very unmolested.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by V8GT View Post
    Yes, exact that is the car.
    For the people who dont know, the gentleman next to Grary is the designer from the GT, Erhard Schnell.

This GT „never leave the factory“ i.e. never was sold. Low miles (Kilometer)
    Surprised it has so many KM to be honest.
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"

In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoinManta View Post
    Surprised it has so many KM to be honest.
    They drive those Opel's to events around Germany. When I was there in 2011, one of the workers mentioned that he might drive the Aero to the Netherlands GT meet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    José
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    They drive those Opel's to events around Germany. When I was there in 2011, one of the workers mentioned that he might drive the Aero to the Netherlands GT meet.
    Thats just whats happend the last 10+X yaers.
    For example the most pic i posted here were taken at the Euro meeting in switzerland. This GT & the orange Aero came from Rüsselsheim all the way on his own axle!
    Gary and Tim602 like this.

Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone know what the significance is of the four digit number on the headlight bucket plates. I found this on my recent 70 GT as I was stripping it down for painting. Is this a part number or is it related to the body unit production number. Unfortunately I have two coats of paint over the area that has been mentioned in this thread. I'll take a look at that area after it is media blasted in a couple of weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wklopf View Post
    When I did it I got the reply from [email protected]. That was over three years ago, so the person doing this might have changed. I believe that it will be forwarded to the right person. Bill
    One thing which I should have mentioned was that after I got the build date (March 12, 1969) from Mr. Kuntz, I asked about the significance of these body stamping numbers. He said that he did not know anything about them. Perhaps it was a part number, he said. Bill

Real Name
    José
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would like go back to the body nr.
    Beside the nr on the left side there is even a another important nr on the right side (passenger).
    This is the „B&L-Nr.“ and it was stamped at the B&L factory in France !after! the paint.

Because the raw shells for the „second“ production line in Bochum bypassed the B&L plant you don´t find that nr. on a „BB-GT“.
    The following description is not related to this „BB“-GT´s which are a completely other story. They represent only 24 043 in total off the whole GT production and don't play a big roll in the first months of GT production.

This means that more than 80% of all produced GT passed thru three involved plants during a production pass and every plant marks every GT with one individual kinde of number. For the body manufacturer „Chausson“ we have the left side body nr. than followed by B&L with the right hand body nr. and final Bochum plant with the VIN. With all this three numbers it is possible to reconstruct roughly the production history of every individual GT time-wise.
    Since the middle of 69 to the end off production in 73, we see a constant raise of this numbers. The average difference between the r. and l. nr. swinging usually in a small range from 300 to 500 units.
    I don´t want to go to much in detail and bore you but the difference had to do with the work flow.

In comparison to this situation, the first month of GT-production went off completely different. The progress of this numbers is erratic and we see a lot of „mismatch“. This happened because only a very low amount of GT´s passed all production steps/stadiums in a time frame they should do. Most of them stuck in a production step somewhere. I didn´t think this was only quality related. The bottleneck to boot up the output as fast as expected was definitely the B&L plant. Keep in mind that they do not only paint and assembling, they also manufactured many GT specific parts. For example sewing interior parts.

The consequence of this circumstances result for some GT in an horrible never-ending build history. As John in his first post states correctly…“early body's were held back for quality issues and then fed back into the production stream“

To make long story short, it is absolutely worth to look at those body numbers, especially on GT´s from this early period.
    Stevs GT aka „chrispy“ seems to be a an extreme example. Tho PO posted in an older thread the right hand (B&L-Nr.)-2944. But because the body nr (1016) seems to be extreme low, i would like to investigate this more precisely.

Steve, it would be very helpful if you could post a picture of the area where the inner wheel house arch panel meets the fender. I see these two recessed strips under the wiring loom clamps only on very early GT body's.

Last edited by kwilford; 07-13-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: clarified spelling
    SpringGT likes this.

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just checked the "B&L" number which Jose mentioned. My "Chausson" number is U1477, while my "B&L" number is 2807 as best I can make it out. According to information from Opel, my GT was built on March 12, 1969. My car has the wire loom clips which Jose showed in the photos. Bill

Real Name
    José
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you very much Bill for posting this infos.
    I would appreciate it when other members even do that.

Concerning the wire loom clamps i have to clarify a misunderstanding which is surely because of my poor English writing. I don't mean the clamps itself. I mean the two small elongated recessed areas under the clamps.

Last edited by kwilford; 07-13-2014 at 11:41 AM. Reason: clarifying some spelling

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    U4024 and 6045 for my '69 GT. I'll check on the recessed clip area.

Real Name
    Steve Daniels
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My number is 2944 on the rad. suport.
    Last edited by kwilford; 07-14-2014 at 12:02 AM. Reason: cleaned up post

1970 yellow Gt (Good girl)
    1970 red Gt (Ozz)
    1969 silver Aero Gt (Oscar)
    1969 Green Aero Gt (Crispy)

"You have learned much,young one"
    "Your destiny lies with me"
    "It is ussless to resist"
    "There is no excape"
    "You have only begun to discover your power"
    "JOIN ME.... AND I WILL COMPLETE YOUR TRAINING"
    With our combined strength,we can end this distructive conflict and bring order to the OPEL GALAXY
    If you only knew the power of the ....
    OPEL SIDE

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mid-1968 was the most unstable time for France since WWII.

There was a revolution in the streets that was joined by factory workers,
    and this uncertainty may have crossed over to the production line.

Real Name
    José
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks to Gary and Steve.

@D: Yes this „street-revolution“ and striks influenced the production start procedure. A french engineer discribe this situation in the book 1484.

@Steve: For me it is every time interesting and sometimes even surprising to compare GT´s from that period. To be honest i expected see on your GT (1016) the inner wheel arch panel with those ressec aeras because this GT´s are equipped with such a panel: 0000, 1001, 1017 and 1050. Nr. 1052 not.
    Now you throw again the monkey wrench

I hate to write this because i dont like such simple explanations but maybe it happend like this:
    They dont care about mixing the two differend panel variants on the production line because both are compatible. So probalbly it don´t exist an exact switch point on the line for both variants. Perhaps after fitting the very first batch off bodys with the ressec panel, follewed a panel-mixed interval till…?
    Gary, opelnut_1 and Steve Daniels like this.

Real Name
    Steve Daniels
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Crispy's front radiator suport is stamped 6835 (March 5th. 1968)
    rear trailing arm is stamped 2268 (Feb. 2nd. 1968)
    I would think these #'s would be the same? these #'s look to be date codes?
    Steve

1970 red Gt (Ozz)

"There is no excape"
    With our combined strength,we can end this distructive conflict and bring order to the OPEL GALAXY
    OPEL SIDE

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Daniels View Post
    Steve
    I really doubt that those are date codes. According to the Projekt 1484 gook, the pilot assembly line was set up in early summer of 1968, well after the dates which you suggest. They ran somewhere between 30 and 60 cars through that. The very first production GT was produced at Bochum on September 12, 1968. My bet is that it is just coincidence that both numbers you found have "68" in them. As Jose has pointed out, there are a lot of inconsistencies in the order in which these numbers appeared in the finished cars. Bill

Tennessean Site Supporter hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Daniels View Post
    Steve
    I doubt it, the parts are/were manufactured by various vendors. Way too much trouble to match up production dates of parts unless they were stamped at the facility just before they were installed, still extra steps driving up costs. Plus who would have ever thought anyone years later would care.

Harold

Real Name
    José
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can find a lot of date coded parts like: gauges, temp-sensor, rims, tank-sensor, window-regulator-mechanisem, rear-view mirror (sticker under foot).
    This is what at the moment come into my mind but there are way more.

In front may 70, at the back dez 69.

Like Harold stated, they are not really very useful to determine the build date of a GT because nobody know how long they be stored/transported until they hit the production line. The only possible conclusion: -A given car can not be older as the latest coded part. No more, no less.
    Gary likes this.

Real Name
    José
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would like to do more research about the relationship between the leftside body number(#L) and early unique body details.
    The following are not as rare as the mentioned inner-weel arch panel from post #47, but still rare. Steve, Bill and all other members who ones GT´s with #L approximately lower than #2000, please check this out and give me /us feedback.

1. The window door frames have a additional rubber bump stop in front.

Surprisingly after removing the bump stop appear a additional unused hole.

@Steve: I hope you still have the cut of door frames from „Crispy“. If the doors dont have the additional bumpstops, please look under the burnt paint after weld shut holes in that area. Because i seen this i guess the body manufacturer maybe „updated“ this way „old“ door frames.

2. Since we speak about doors. Passenger door-handle with chrom brezel.

The handle itself is different because the „attachement foots“ are longer and have two screw´s per foot instead of of one. Consequence, the door shell have to have additional holes.

Real Name
    José
    Downloads
    Uploads
    3. U-shaped bracket on pedal mount which is GT nonfunctional and a carry over from Kadett.

They start the produktion probably with unmodified Kadett floor panel´s.
    Same at the rear floor section.

There are two holes per side which were in a differend way sealed. The inner with a rubber plug. The outer with a little piece of glued on sound-deadening mat (before paint procedure).
    Because im not sure, can somebody confirm that the inner hole aera are Kadett seatbelt attachement points?

Real Name
    Steve Daniels
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by V8GT View Post
    I would like to do more research about the relationship between the leftside body number(#L) and early unique body details.
    The following are not as rare as the mentioned inner-weel arch panel from post #47, but still rare. Steve, Bill and all other members who ones GT´s with #L approximately lower than #2000, please check this out and give me /us feedback.

1. The window door frames have a additional rubber bump stop in front.

Surprisingly after removing the bump stop appear a additional unused hole.

@Steve: I hope you still have the cut of door frames from „Crispy“. If the doors dont have the additional bumpstops, please look under the burnt paint after weld shut holes in that area. Because i seen this i guess the body manufacturer maybe „updated“ this way „old“ door frames.

2. Since we speak about doors. Passenger door-handle with chrom brezel.

The handle itself is different because the „attachement foots“ are longer and have two screw´s per foot instead of of one. Consequence, the door shell have to have additional holes.
    I was lucky enough to still have Crispy's Door frames! 2 rubber bumpers.

1970 red Gt (Ozz)

"There is no excape"
    OPEL SIDE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information