Opel GT Registry
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crliwa

Thread: Opel GT Registry

Real Name
    Cam
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opel GT Registry

Is anyone keeping a registry of surviving Opel GTs? My other "classic" is a '69 AMC AMX, and we do have a registry going for them. There were less than 19k 2-seater AMXs built from 68-70, and at the AMC national show I attended last month I counted 42 of them. I seem to recall that there were 80k Opel GTs or thereabouts imported into the U.S., but in some ways they seem just as rare as the AMX now. I'm just curious if anyone has an estimate of how many GTs have survived?
    Last edited by zippy7575; 08-16-2016 at 11:38 PM.
    Sunburst yellow 1970 GT, 2.0L w/ header, Tremec T5, Weber 32/36, Pertronix, Sway Bars, BWA Sportstar wheels. Owned since 1973.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy7575 View Post
    Is anyone keeping a registry of surviving Opel GTs? My other "classic" is a '69 AMC AMX, and we do have a registry going for them. There were less than 19k 2-seater AMXs built from 68-70, and at the AMC national show I attended last month I counted 42 of them. I seem to recall that there were 80k Opel GTs or thereabouts imported into the U.S., but in some ways they seem just as rare as the AMX now. I'm just curious if anyone has an estimate of how many GTs have survived?
    I really wish I had known that the AMX was going to be coveted.
    I found one at the side of the road and legally acquired it for the cost of the title transfer.

For the life of me I can't remember how it ended up not being mine anymore. I DO, however, remember how I lost my Javelin.

As for the registry. I think I remember one a while back.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    William
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a German register of GTs. My 1969 is on it. My 1971 is not. Bill

http://register.opelgt.org/

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wklopf View Post
    There is a German register of GTs. My 1969 is on it. My 1971 is not. Bill

http://register.opelgt.org/
    I will have to add my three to the list.
    Maybe add the one that didn't make it also.

Real Name
    Cam
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for that information. I have now registered mine too.
    Sunburst yellow 1970 GT, 2.0L w/ header, Tremec T5, Weber 32/36, Pertronix, Sway Bars, BWA Sportstar wheels. Owned since 1973.

Real Name
    Cam
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    I really wish I had known that the AMX was going to be coveted.
    I found one at the side of the road and legally acquired it for the cost of the title transfer.

For the life of me I can't remember how it ended up not being mine anymore. I DO, however, remember how I lost my Javelin.

As for the registry. I think I remember one a while back.
    Concours quality AMX are going for $50-60k now!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Concours quality AMX are going for $50-60k now!
    I did say I found mine on the side of the road/freeway, didn't I? It was never going to be a Concours while in my possession.

It's not Opel related but I want to tell the story.

I was driving home after we had had a bad snow week. (Rare in Portland Oregon) and saw the car buried in a snow plow pile. It looked like it broke down right before the snow and all the plowing covered it up. I drove past it for a week before there was enough snow melt to get to it.

I checked it out and saw it was in good shape so I recorded the VIN and went to the DMV to see if I could locate the owner.
    I had to drive over 100 miles to get to the house of the owner and they signed the lost title form. I went back to the DMV and it was mine.

Went back to the car and set to diagnose it. Bottom line, it had run out of gas.

Added gas and I had a new (to me) car.

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess I should add my 390 automatic AMX to the AMX registry as well as the 2 Opel gt's and 2 1900's..
    I really have to get more organized as I also have quite a few other collectables and If I belonged to other clubs it would definitely help when I get around to restoring them
    First opel 1981 likes this.
    Craig Roberts

Thread Information