New Member from San Diego CA
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By mrdiego
  • 1 Post By rrossjr
  • 1 Post By slracer
  • 1 Post By The Cub
  • 1 Post By rrossjr
  • 1 Post By MikeNotigan

Thread: New Member from San Diego CA

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello , my Name is Falk born in Germany and moved to USA CA 17 years ago .
    Always drove opel in Germany And my dad used to work st Opel .
    Just got my first GT ,1973 . Needs a lot of work but the price was right !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SpringGT and kwschumm like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the OpelGT.Community! I believe there are lots of SoCal Opelers on this site.
    It looks like you found a pretty complete car. The engine compartment cleaned up nicely,
    only missing the cold air intake and fan shroud from what I can see. What are your plans
    for the GT?
    Cheers,
    Ron in Indy
    mrdiego likes this.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like a pretty straight body, maybe a little rust in the rear quarter but overall quite nice. How is the interior? I brought mine home on a UHaul trailer also, but it had 215/50 - 13 tires so it didn't allow all 4 wheels to miss the "lip" on the ramps! One thing you should be aware of with US Opelers, they will pick your car apart but then help you put it together! Welcome to a group of the craziest (and nicest) people in the world!

Doug

PS - People here always want more photos! In my case it is to see what it SHOULD look like!
    mrdiego likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Tom
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome Falk, I’ve owned and worked on my GT since 86’ and I live in the SD area, it will be good to have another GT driving around in the neighborhood! I’ll be happy to help out whenever I can, another member came out to my house and helped me remove and re install my engine. I also never would have had the success I did without the other guys here on the site and their support. Lots of excellent tech articles are available here that really widen the horizons. I have a 72’ repainted white and I’m always “driving the crap out of it” as my neighbor says, I drive all over the county on my days off. Congratulations on your new purchase!
    mrdiego likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you !!
    Not sure what to do and when because I got many more projects ))
    I would like to do as little as I can to it , gonna see what’s up with engine and transmission , i hope just a tuneup and fluid change , new tires , brakes and Rubber around the door and window , got some seats sitting around and try just to get the car running again and in the future dip the car to see how bad the rust is and fix it up but only minimum on interior, A gage , paint job ,nice wheels , maybe a turbo and just use it for fun
    Lucky no TÜV here , so we can do anything we want ))))
    Some more pictures of the rust , interior is very bad !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdiego View Post
    Thank you !!
    Not sure what to do and when because I got many more projects ))
    I would like to do as little as I can to it , gonna see what’s up with engine and transmission , i hope just a tuneup and fluid change , new tires , brakes and Rubber around the door and window , got some seats sitting around and try just to get the car running again and in the future dip the car to see how bad the rust is and fix it up but only minimum on interior, A gage , paint job ,nice wheels , maybe a turbo and just use it for fun
    Lucky no TÜV here , so we can do anything we want )))) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Who says California cars don't rust?
    Actually, that looks pretty typical and should not be too expensive provided you do the repairs yourself.
    You can find just about everything you need for the interior from the vendors, both repro and used.
    I bet it won't take much to get it running. The Opel 1.9 CIH engines are pretty robust.
    Good luck, and keep us updated on your project.
    Cheers,
    Ron in Indy
    mrdiego likes this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to San Diego with your GT!

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdiego View Post
    Lucky no TÜV here , so we can do anything we want ))))
    Some more pictures of the rust , interior is very bad !!
    You've got your work cut out for you, to be honest. The body looks to have been brushed with Rust Convertor, which says something about being a California GT. Maybe it spent it's life in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, where snow is measured by tens of feet per year; judging by the depth of that rust??? Shade tree wiring runs in the engine compartment by the previous owner(s) always brings visions of roadside car fires completely engulfed. Betcha the headlight wiring loom up by the headlight bulb sockets have a nice, nasty surprise for you when you go to inspect them, which btw, should be the first thing you do on this car before even thinking of getting it to run. Trust me on this. Fwiw, I don't believe this is a 73 GT, unless someone went out of their way to toss on the earlier GT steel rims & the light bulb assembly below the rear license plate. But that's picking nits when the overall picture says you have bigger projects to take on with this car. Good on ya that you are trying to save it.

Now the good news: there are a few rebuild thread projects within this forum of cars that were worse off than yours. The rebuild thread by member Viny Charb will be an inspirational one to read from beginning to end to get a feel for how he turned a swiss cheese-rusted Canadian GT into a nice little show-quality car. But it was a monumental effort of time, sweat and money to make it happen. Good luck, welcome to the show!
    mrdiego likes this.

Real Name
    Thomas
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Falk,
    Welcome to the Forum! I'm another expat from Germany, in San Diego since '97.
    Together with my GF we have a GT, a Manta, a Monza and a Rekord.
    Viel Glueck mit dem Projekt und falls Du Hilfe brauchst einfach fragen.
    Thomas

Thread Information