New to the opel
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New to the opel

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

New to the opel

So I just recently became an 73 Opel gt owner!! The car does have some severe issues (rust) I plan on cutting the floor boards out and making my own and make some solid frame connecters. The main thing I am looking for is a windshield, I am located in Peoria il. Any help would be great. Mind you this car has been sitting since 1979 and is complete other wise

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome!

I heard there was a new production run from Pilkington so perhaps a local windshield vendor can find it for you. They are available, the issue is price and shipping.

Regarding rust, it can be scary on the GT and can turn in to quite a project. If the floorboards are rusted out the rockers are likely rusted too. As a unibody car it needs strong rockers. Other areas of concern are the trailing arm mounts and shock towers.

Good luck!
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Solo II is fun in a GT! okieopel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome aboard! You might want to visit OGTS to look at the floor pans. Their rocker panel replacement seems pretty inexpensive to a guy with out a sheet metal brake like me.

Several years ago I was able to get a new windshield from Safelite, but that was years ago. Check with your local glass shop, they know their network.
    I would avoid purchasing used windshield at a premium price because of breakage.
    Dan
    'okieopel'
    Oklahoma Opel Preservation Society
    O.O.P.S.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    You should do a search on here for new windshields. I think there was a bit of a fitment problem with the latest run and they need to be trimmed a bit. If you get the GT up and running by September bring it down to Springfield for the Route 66 Mother Road Fest and meet some of the other Opelers in the area.

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opeljohn View Post
    You should do a search on here for new windshields. I think there was a bit of a fitment problem with the latest run and they need to be trimmed a bit. If you get the GT up and running by September bring it down to Springfield for the Route 66 Mother Road Fest and meet some of the other Opelers in the area.
    I thought the latest run corrected the fitment problems of the previous run. No?
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Downloads
    Uploads
    You may be right, I did not follow that thread to close.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a fun project. Barn finds certainly have their challenges. Make sure you share pictures of it in your "garage" or "Album" on the forum so we can see your progress.
    eX

Thread Information