New(ish) GT Owner
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CorpseShoulder

Thread: New(ish) GT Owner

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

New(ish) GT Owner

I've been considering a project car for about a year now. I've never done anything like it but feel like I know enough it's within the realm of possible. A few months ago I picked up a 'left in a barn for 15 years' 1970 GT that someone had started some body work on, disassembled some of the engine bay, then left it. So of course it was seized.

So far I've taken the head off, broken the bottom end free with Marvel and a breaker bar on the front of the crank, disassembled the head and got all of the stuck lifters and valves out and mostly cleaned up at this point. I was hoping to turn the bottom end over a bit with the head off using the starter but, wouldn't you know it, that didn't turn either. So I've pulled that off and got it freed up and some grease on it. I've run into issues getting the starter back together but that's another post. Since I had to make an account for that I thought I might as well stop by the intro section and say hi.

My interior's going to be a whole other thing and I, shockingly, have some underbody rust repair to do but I at least have mostly intact floor boards and the exterior body work someone else got started. That was the part I was really worried about being able to do. It's one thing to know mechanical theory but another to be able to beat metal into pretty shapes.

I'm hoping I can at least figure out if the engine's going to be any good before winter and if so have it able to pull on and off a trailer under its own power so I can haul it off for storage and free my garage up for my daily driver so I don't have to shovel that off every morning. My GT's not going to be a show car ever in its life but hopefully I'll get it running and mechanically sound enough to have some fun with.

Anyway, Hi!
    Bbutler787 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bruce
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome to the site

Would love to see pictures of your project.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have gotten a car to run on it's own by using a 5 gal gas can 1/2 full and a NAPA Carter 12 volt fuel pump and 2 sections of fuel line. Take a short 2x4, screw the Fuel pump filter on, use one hose for gas can, the other to the fuel intake of the carburetor. Take a battery, hook the lines from the pump to it.
    As for the starter, get a long Positive and neg set of cables, (I used jumper cables). Positive to starter, neg to engine block, turned on pump, stuck screwdriver from top of starter to solenoid terminal, crossed the lines and it cranked. Ran the engine about 10 min. A "dirty' way to do it, but it worked.
    I think you will find this board to be a wealth of information on your Gt. Good luck and welcome. Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    I have gotten a car to run on it's own by using a 5 gal gas can 1/2 full and a NAPA Carter 12 volt fuel pump and 2 sections of fuel line. Take a short 2x4, screw the Fuel pump filter on, use one hose for gas can, the other to the fuel intake of the carburetor. Take a battery, hook the lines from the pump to it.
    As for the starter, get a long Positive and neg set of cables, (I used jumper cables). Positive to starter, neg to engine block, turned on pump, stuck screwdriver from top of starter to solenoid terminal, crossed the lines and it cranked. Ran the engine about 10 min. A "dirty' way to do it, but it worked.
    I think you will find this board to be a wealth of information on your Gt. Good luck and welcome. Jarrell
    This is pretty much what I'm aiming for. even my carb is super seized up. Hoping if I can get the top end, bottom end, and starter working I can dribble some fuel in the intake manifold and see if I can at least get some coughs out of it. Still not sure if I'm going to mess with the solex I have or just pickup a weber once I know if the engine is going to be salvageable as-is or is going to need to come totally out.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CorpseShoulder View Post
    This is pretty much what I'm aiming for. even my carb is super seized up. Hoping if I can get the top end, bottom end, and starter working I can dribble some fuel in the intake manifold and see if I can at least get some coughs out of it. Still not sure if I'm going to mess with the solex I have or just pickup a weber once I know if the engine is going to be salvageable as-is or is going to need to come totally out.
    True, you might get some Brake cleaner and give all parts a shot. Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You absolutely do not want to try to run on fuel out of the fuel tank as is; do as Soybean suggests and run out of a gas can with fresh gas. We just did the same with a '75 1900... the car had sat for 5 years and there was 8 gallons of the worst fuel you have ever seen or smelled, and the tank was fairly rusted inside. Yours may be better or worse but it HAS to be cleaned thoroughly before trying to use.

The Solex adds another possible problem in the mix to get it to run. If you are going to change carbs long term, then it makes sense to have it one hand. The carb being seized up seems like bad news for that; it would have to come apart to have any prayer of being used.

With the head off, how rusted up were any of the cylinder bores? And rust in the head? Breaking the bottom end free may result in broken rings or ring lands. You'll know when it runs.

AT least it sounds like you have a salvageable body to work with.
    Last edited by Manta Rallier; 07-11-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Thread Information