Intro & tips with thankful gratitude 1
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks: 0
Likes Likes: 0
Dislikes Dislikes: 0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Intro & tips with thankful gratitude 1

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

Intro & tips with thankful gratitude 1

I知 almost speechless at the amount of assistance I received from this great website. I知 not usually one for any kind of social media, but more of a loner type who drives a satin black GT totally rebuilt from wrecking yard parts, with original 13 inch style steel mag type Manta rims, & 185-80-13 wheels that look like fat donuts for The softest ride, fastest speed, & practical lift to clear driveways, survive stormy water puddles, big dips, & open the passenger door without banging curbs. i値l probably float like a VW if I drove into a river... I reached out to this forum in humble desperation in hopes of meeting like-minded appreciators classic automobile perfection. Not to mention finding someone knowing the perfect offset for the front 15 x 7 rims Im about to order without getting a lot of doubletalk... So As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I値l share some of my innovations with you guys... In the meantime, as my thanks for everything I値l just put a few in writing, like my little retro chrome bumper-ette bolted directly to my GT front bumper frame... Originally takin off a retro Datsun 240 Z, & that perfectly blends in to protect my fragile nose cone from high-back vehicles sliding up on it while they池e trying to park... I also took the seats from that same old 240 Z because they were very lite & low profile, w great wraparound, & fully reclining... Not to mention dramatically more rear window view than the original seats, and they look & feel great covered in my black sheep skins... I have black aircraft quality aluminum louvers on my rear view, & both pop open rear side windows*** a first I知 told... I took a forward facing spoiler that resembled a bat wing off an early 2000s model Pontiac Grand Am so that痴 what I named it, a bat wing spoiler. I bought a 3 hole in the center & extended my gas spout up through it so my original GT chrome gas cap sits on top for a really cool retro look along with great practicality...

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tips with thankful gratitude 2

I have the original (wraparound the stick) air-conditioning cansole set up for GTs that I enhanced with chrome plated AC vents from a Cadillac Cimmaron... A great front flip open mirror light (embedded in my original passenger side visor) This 3rd dome light was taken from a Volvo to enhance the (twin) originals I installed over the rear cargo deck of my GT to really light up my life, and enhance my cigarette lighter/mini flashlight. My clutch cable enhancement is made by sandwiching a common shock absorber top bushing between two fitted washers held by (double C clamps) at the firewall... This will make it last practically forever, and even feel smoother like an hydraulic clutch with a few drops of super lube inside. Little tricks like cutting a wage pointed tip on a 1’ or 2’ section of 12 gauge stranded electrical wire & mounting it to a common cordless screwdriver drill to safely ream out heater cores while they’re still in the car... How to enhance your cooling system’s capacity, & to run on it straight antifreeze by adding old VW oil/transmission coolers or even modern narrow ones takin off new cars at wrecking yards and connecting them to your cooling system (after flushing out) & mounting them in your front grill area on The outer front side of that reinforcement bar where the charcoal canister is mounted... You make it switchable for summer & winter driving with a common heater hose shut off valve on it’s feed line so your heater still works when you need heat... Also spark plug modifications using a common jewelers micro drill bit to drill two tiny holes in the top & back of the ground electrode to increase burn efficiency like a Spitfire spark plug...
    Last edited by Mr DJ-GT; 07-13-2019 at 03:01 PM. Reason: 3 forgotten words

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs upTips with gratitude 3

By the way, if anyone’s interested AutoZone is selling these beautiful Edelbrock pro flo 1000 trianglar chrome breathers right now for about 25 bucks just to get rid of them, because few people drive carbureted engines anymore but us, & there’s also websites like (Red line) to get the flat, circular Weber carburetor adapters for them for about another 25 bucks... The washable/disposable blk foam filters are cheap & plentiful at auto parts stores... I buy common household #7 air conditioning filters in large sheets from Home Depot & cut out my own dome type air filter shapes from them. They have a thin metallic diamond shaped mesh reinforcement to easily mold & hold them in shape, and they’re white so I can clearly see when they’re getting dirty... Not to mention way cheaper than buying any pre-made filters, as I usually get 3 to 4 out of a single $10 sheet & the #7 filter seems to be the most practical performer for me.... I’ll eventually post pictures of what this new extra wide air surface filter looks like on an Opel GT engine but you can look up the model number to get a gander... I did have to trim about an inch off the extended neck bottom with some tin-snips so I could close my hood... I also still run my original vapor return system because it still actually works to save gas by recycling fumes. I hear it dripping back into my tank constantly at night after a long run & in in the morning I have about an eighth of a tank more gas. Generic vapor return gas filters can still be found cheap at many auto parts stores & those same foam, or #7 household AC filters are perfect for the charcoal canister filter replacement to basically keep dirt out, & the charcoal granules in... I once drove about 16 miles on the freeway completely on fumes once with that system... I was well under empty when I started & completely broke, but made it home ok & gas gauge never moved.
    Last edited by Mr DJ-GT; 07-13-2019 at 03:10 PM. Reason: One line missing

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gratitude tips last but not least.

Clear distributor caps will show you just which spark plug is missing or has a weak spark.

An affordable (Pertronics igniter 2) electronic ignition sensor thats easy to install along with a magnetic ring that triggers the sensor & fits right inside your distributor under the stock rotor & they take the place of your points & condenser. The higher-end performance model that I prefer is the RED, (model 1335-011) & it claims to be for a 2 Liter Ford SOHC engine. This model can be hooked up backwards and still run ok, or you can leave the ignition on with a high output coil like the (MSD blaster 2) with no resistor needed, & it will automatically shut off if you don稚 start your engine long before it overheats... I combined that with and (MSD Street Fire) Multi Spark electronic ignition enhancement system...

I致e been running Bosch low resistance magnetic suppression spark plug wires for years because they seem to last forever on a GT. Like my Bosch platinum spark plugs...

Double & triple core radiators are also available for Opels now so I have a double core to hold extra antifreeze. I understand theres even plastic ones now available that run very cool.

Hella halogen headlights are top-of-the-line as far as I知 concerned because you can replace the bulbs with any wattage or color you like, & they look like glowing eyes coming at you at night with those two large silver balls in the center... I also installed black Off-road headlight rock guards over them for added investment protection & a uniquely cool look... If you have your stock GT valve cover polished or able to do it yourself you it値l look almost like chrome...

You can also get plenty of engine compartment door and window seals off newer vehicles a wrecking yards (dirt cheap) comparison to the stock & usually even thicker.... you can also find cool little low profile front air dams there a various model cars... Also dirt cheap!

My thousand amp AGM battery is a perfect enhancement for my hundred amp alternator & electronic voltage regulator... AGM batteries are misunderstood because if they run down for any reason, they could take a whole couple days or more to charge back up with a regular battery charger & Half a day at driving while charging in your car, so they池e often mistaken as weak or dead when they池e actually not... These batteries are not spill-able, don稚 leak, & don稚 corrode your terminals or the surrounding area, so they池e used in aircrafts, boats etc. I actually had one break from its housing at about 80mph on the freeway & it tipped completely over, face down on both battery posts against the metal chassis... Everything went black & smoke filled the cabin as it totally fried my negative battery cable in the minute & a half to two minutes it took me to glide over, & off the freeway to find an emergency parking spot leaving a trail of smoke all the way...

I used my trusty rechargeable cigarette lighter/flashlight to check my status on a pitch dark street at 3am, then flipped the battery back over, & noted the damage... I used my jumper cables to connect the negative battery terminal to the car chassis, & crossed my fingers that the battery wouldn稚 explode when I turned the key, but to my surprise it reluctantly started right up, with my alternator needle at full charging status so I waited until it dropped down a bit to the scale痴 actual notch before I turned on my halogen headlights & drove safely home at 70mph... Try that with a conventional hi amp battery & see what happens... It actually lasted about 12 or 13 more years after that before I traded it in for a new one thinking it was dead, but it turned out to be a loose connection on an aftermarket high 110 amp circuit breaker I installed on the positive batt line shortly after that incident to protect the rest of my system, Jus in case... AGMs made me a believer... Best battery I ever had...

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

Supplemental Streetwise tips: GT Flip over headlight repair

Supplemental Streetwise tips:
    GT headlight flip over mechanism tip: Although the hardened bolts tend to break with time, especially on the driver side, but if you can get a hold of any other GT flip over mechanisms, right or left side, you can repair it relatively easily without drilling it out bbwhich is often unsuccessful unless you tap it & put in a larger bolt, & since they are hardened bolts it usually just diverts the drill bit to the softer metal on the edges of the broken bolt itself & causes a big mess... The solution I discovered was: although they’re configured for either right or left GT headlight sockets, the actual gear on the inside that the three bolts connect to is universal to both right and left sockets, so you can actually drill out the rivets on the extra flip over mechanism that you don’t need (yet), & carefully remove that inner cam/gear, & install it on the needed side in exactly the same position, taking advantage of that time to fully lubricate, or (pack it) with some nice synthetic grease because the original grease has long dried up... Then just match the drilled out rivet holes on the repaired mechanism with the same size new rivets, and reassemble the device making sure the new rivets are nice & snug to work perfectly when reassembled on the previously broken side... You can also save the gutted flip over mechanism for future use, if you get another gear... So don’t automatically throw away any Opel parts with even a minute chance of rejuvenation... You can also retrace those little thin, easily breakable, three bolt hole flex spacers on to some slightly thicker sheet metal to re-cut those as well, only now much stronger, & far less prone to breaking... I used an electrical panel cover, but any type of metal box cover will do if you can’t find a small sheet metal section...
    Last edited by Mr DJ-GT; 08-07-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opal rim upgrade tip

Opel rim upgrade tip:
    I recently found out the perfect wheel size for my Opel GT on a 15 inch rim is 15x6-4x100-25mm et, or 15x6.5-4x100-20mm or 19 mm offset, & those happen to be the exact size rims used on the (British MG/Gt)’s of the same years, In case someone needs an actual car model to reference that’s listed in a lot more venues than our Opels... Too many venues often give us a sob story when they have those beautiful MG alloy wheels in stock up to their necks, & just won’t bother to match the rim size differences because Opels Originally came with 13” rims, & few professionals won’t stick their neck out with a recommendation that could possibly come back to bite em, if they don’t fit... So they just play it safe, & go by what their computer says, which is usually, “Opels do not compute” (not in stock)... :{ Blahhh!!!!
    Last edited by Mr DJ-GT; 08-07-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Miss spelled title, still not fixed

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

Stalling while breaking, emergency tip:

(Stalling) when braking: emergency tip:
    If you’re having a brake booster diaphragm issue, or it’s vacuum hose/ or connector leak that’s so severe the car stalls whenever you hit your brakes, but it’s not electrical issue related to the brake pedal light switch actuator, or wiring short circuit issue... You can temporarily bypass the problem by just reversing the check valve on the brake booster hose, provided the vacuum leak isn’t between that short section of hose from the intake manifold to the check valve... in which case you can probably duck tape it for a couple days in an emergency... When the check valve is reversed, it’ll feel like your breaking power is cut in half, but at least you’re able to drive the car until you can fix it by replacing the leaky hose/connection/or booster... if the check valve is bad also just plug or cap that brake booster hose with a fat bolt or something right near the intake manifold... Remember, many antique cars didn’t even have brake boosters all the way up to mid last century or so... Just give yourself a little extra braking distance until you get used to it ... The Opel GT is a very light weight car anyway, but I had to do it to a 64 Chevy once, just to get home ok...
    Last edited by Mr DJ-GT; 08-07-2019 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Typo in title, not fixed

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

Brake leak emergency bypass tip:

1: Emergency bypass for a brake leak:
    if you’re on a remote trip and all of a sudden one of your brake seals or even a brake line section goes out with no replacements anywhere.... An effective, emergency technique to bypass the leaky wheel is to insert a small (rounded head) (phillips or hex) tip screw inserted & securely tightened right at the point where the brake line meets the wheel, with the head of the screw facing the wheel so the body of it is inside the metal break line... If the problem is a damaged or leaky brake line section you can also bypass it at the master cylinder using the same rounded head screw technique (with no washer) with the screw’s head facing the master cylinder with the longer body of the screw inside the metal break line. (This is only for emergencies) because it will render that wheel’s braking system completely in operative if done at the wheel, & two wheels in operative if done at the GT’s master cylinder, but the fluid leak will stop if done properly & tightened... This will noticeably throw your breaking off balance. .. Especially if its one of your front wheels, because the steering wheel will jerk suddenly to the good side with any sudden or hard breaking.l. Or jus tapping it too fast.., So be prepared,,, not surprised... :} & Be Safe!!!
    At least you won’t be stuck out in the middle of the Grand Canyon, or Sahara desert somewhere, & may even make it to a close destination, back home, or repair shop, to actually replace the leaky brake seal, or damaged line section... Best of all,,, With No “rip off” wild cat tow truck charges... :{
    Last edited by Mr DJ-GT; 08-07-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

A great turn signal upgrade tip:

A great turn signal safety tip:
    Consider adding two extra little side turn signal lights about an inch behind your GT front side marker lights.... Please don’t just rush out n grab the first ones you see at Slick Willies Auto Parts store. Try to get a little more complementary retro style, like my 1 inch round, 1.5 long chrome metal based, bullet shaped decor lights, with screw on amber tipped lenses... I bought them at a real East LA truck stop about a hundred years ago. Truck stops often have the coolest lookin accessories for big rigs... Auto wrecking yards are also great for very rare finds... Just mount them directly behind your front top side marker lights about an inch or so & tie the new ones into your existing front turn signal lights located directly below each headlight, noting the correct +/-polarity for a 12 V DC... Tiny brite LEDs work best but original incandescents will also do... So if you’re evet stuck in a lane with a relentless, Opel oogling “wing man” who just won’t budge to let you over... Then they could at least see your new side turn signal light when you’re ready to turn into their lane, & without that instinctive urge to try “faking him out first” :} that could be a bit risky with road rage retaliations in all...
    Last edited by Mr DJ-GT; 08-07-2019 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Typos

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=Mr DJ-GT;1407575]I知 almost speechless at the amount of assistance I received from this great website. I知 not usually one for any kind of social media, but more of a loner type who drives a satin black GT totally rebuilt from wrecking yard parts, with original 13 inch style steel mag type Manta rims, & 185-80-13 wheels that look like fat donuts for The softest ride, fastest speed, & practical lift to clear driveways, survive stormy water puddles, big dips, & open the passenger door without banging curbs. i値l probably float like a VW if I drove into a river... I reached out to this forum in humble desperation in hopes of meeting like-minded appreciators classic automobile perfection. Not to mention finding someone knowing the perfect offset for the front 15 x 7 rims Im about to order without getting a lot of doubletalk... So As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I値l share some of my innovations with you guys... In the meantime, as my thanks for everything I値l just put a few in writing, like my little retro chrome bumper-ette bolted directly to my GT front bumper frame... Originally takin off a retro Datsun 240 Z, & that perfectly blends in to protect my fragile nose cone from high-back vehicles sliding up on it while they池e trying to park... I also took the seats from that same old 240 Z because they were very lite & low profile, w great wraparound, & fully reclining... Not to mention dramatically more rear window view than the original seats, and they look & feel great covered in my black sheep skins... I have black aircraft quality aluminum louvers on my rear view, & both pop open rear side windows*** a first I知 told... I took a forward facing spoiler that resembled a bat wing off an early 2000s model Pontiac Grand Am, so that痴 what I named it, a 澱at wing spoiler. I bored a 3 hole in the center & extended my gas spout up through it so my original GT chrome gas cap sits on top for a really cool retro look, along with great practicality...
    Commod蚌en and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bad starter emergency override:

Bad Starter emergency override...
    This 1st simple technique only works with older manual transmissions, or (stick shift) cars... If you find yourself stuck somewhere with a bad starter that even a jump start won稚 help, One of the great things about a lightweight car with a manual transmission is you can push start it yourself, or with the help of one other person if you池e not so inclined...
    This is done simply by first putting your ignition key all the way to the on position to make the ignition is on, & your steering wheel is unlocked... then put the stick shift in neutral & push the car up to about 2 to 5mph, and while it痴 rolling forward just jump in, push the clutch down, slam it into first gear, & pop the clutch by quickly letting it all the way out while it痴 still moving & in gear, & nine times out of 10 your Opel will start right up... I used to have to do this all the time with my old, original equipment Delco Remy starter, until I finally broke down & spent almost twice the money for a powerful Bosch Starter... It痴 been working fine about 20 years now with no issues.... The Bosch starters are a little shorter, fatter, & heavier, but still fits right in place, & wires up identically... The Bosch starters are so powerful you can sit in your car (put it in 1st gear) turn on the car痴 Ignition, & it will lunge forward, & slowly roll until it starts... Very impressive... :}
    Older automatic transmissions still need the ignition to be in the on position, & be in Neutral, but require much more speed from either a push, or tow from another vehicle, up to about 15 or 20 miles an hour... Then drop it into Drive for the car to start... Newer cars have several safeguards to prevent these easy, old school (starter override) starts...
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

Inexpensive cylinder decarbonizing :

Inexpensive cylinder decarbonizing:
    I recently spoke to Gil, my Opel Tech-Support specialist... He reminded me of something else I almost forgot which was an old-school mechanics technique for decarbonizing your cylinders, pistons, & plugs on carbureted engines, using only water... I prefer distilled water but any clean water will do for this... It might help to have a can of motor starting fluid on hand jus in case you overdo it, because it痴 a delicate balance of slowly pouring the water into a high revving engine... First, fully warm up your engine after exposing the carburetor... Then rev the engine to a steady high rpm using the throttle linkage at the rear of Opel/Weber type carburetors, & very slowly pour up to 1 Liter of water down the throat of the carburetor without letting the engine stall by revving it higher if it starts to stall, the same way you would do with carburetor cleaner spray... When the water is fully depleted keep engine running for at least a few more minutes to make sure everything inside is dry... If by chance it stalls while you池e doing this you (may) need to use the motor starting fluid to restart the engine, & let it run for a couple minutes before continuing... This will normally break down excessive carbon deposits on everything inside the cylinders by essentially steam cleaning them from the inside... Be careful Not to overdo it by pouring water into the carburetor if the engine stalls... I normally drove my car somewhere immediately afterwards to make sure there wasn稚 any residual moisture left in the system... You may see some residual dirty carbonize water dripping from the rear of your tail pipe, but this is normal & won稚 last... They used to call this the poor man痴 cylinder flush... All the old-school mechanics knew about it because older cars didn稚 have catalytic converter壮 & fuel injection was kinda rare, unless they were very hi-performance, &/or very expensive...

Thanks for the reminder Gil, I知 starting to think I致e forgotten much of what I ever learned about cars, being jus a nonprofessional Street mechanic...
    <>Dj<>
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

Interior cooling supplementals

Almost forgot, in regards to interior cooling, A smart addition to Opel GT‘s or any Opel is tinted windows. If you’re not in a position to find factory tinted windows like I did for my front and rear windows... Even finding a brand new factory tinted rear windshield with a working rear window defogger system that perfectly matched the the wiring & electronics I took from another GT at the wrecking yard and installed on mine using a shop electrical manual to guide me... Having your windows tinted with a Quality aftermarket window tint film adds a lot to interior cooling... Though the front should only be tented across the top quarter or so...
    Also aircraft quality rear & side/rear louvers make a big difference in preventing direct sunlight from entering, heating up and/or damaging your interior... Yet only compromises rear veiw slightly, but well worth it for the benefits... Steering wheel covers also help along with things as simple as a short leather sleeve or plastic cup over the stick shift will keep them from becoming too hot to touch in the heat of summer... Seat covers along with small, shallow seat pillows below to further insulate your tush are also a great idea to add insulation between your body on the perforated tuck and roll, but barely-breathable vinyl seats...
    The upper rear section over the interior trunk can also be carpeted so as much vinyl as possible is covered, which adds to the interiors longevity and coolness...
    Of course, complete car covers also great in moderate to extreme temperatures to keep your Opel cool, especially if you leave it out in the elements for extended periods... Last, but not least on interior cooling is: Consider replacing the disintegrated foam insulation above your interior headliner with a professional home, or commercial grade insulation... If Your headliner crumbles & disintegrates in the process consider replacing that also, because they’re still available at places like (Opel GT Source)...
    Last edited by Mr DJ-GT; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:44 AM. Reason: Typo, & additional info on tail end ...
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great information, thanks for sharing. I have enjoyed all your posts and have learned a little more than before.
    Dan

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

Additional enhancements:

Enhancements I neglected to mention was: Where as a popular consensus is to lower the GT痴 front end... I prefer mine slightly raised for the many obstacles of common street practicalities. I致e spoken to several who痴 lowered their front ends, & they all seemed to regret doing it to various degrees... Because altho that痴 fine for the track, they found it highly impractical for the uneven surfaces of average street driving... That痴 one of the reasons I instinctively preferred the maximum height of my 185 x 80 x 13 tires, but in addition I also raised my rear end slightly & reinforced it with the thicker/stronger, slightly angled differential support arms, the slightly longer & variable pitch springs, & thicker spring cushions top & bottom from a (later model Manta), & a nice heavy duty rear stabilizer bar... I even had the Manta differential on my GT while mine was being rebuilt at a machine shop... What an incredibly dramatic look that wider Manta rear stance gave the GT... I almost regret not transferring my limited slip system over to that one... My GT痴 now noticeably a little taller in the rear & has a natural slant downward in front as a result, without actually lowering the front end... Oddly enough my standard nitrogen gas GT replacement racing shocks still fit right in place, but with even slightly more shock absorption capacity... It can also handle a heavier load in the trunk & cargo deck now if I need to cary more than 250 pounds, which is the normal deck load capacity... Or, I can even squeeze a couple 150 pound friends back there in a pinch & another one or two on the passenger side, without bottoming out every time I hit a big bump... if preferred, I can always add a modest 2 or 3 front rubber air dam on the body directly in front of the rack & pinion steering unit to avoid scraping driveways, along with tapered side skirts if I wanted to get lower ground effects... A front stabilizer bar system is also a must, even if you don稚 lower the front end... It値l make your GT take corners like it痴 on rails...
    <>Dj<>

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dpre View Post
    Great information, thanks for sharing. I have enjoyed all your posts and have learned a little more than before.
    Dan
    Thank you Dan, please forgive all the typos but I’m not a professional writer, & I’m doing this from a tiny cell phone screen which takes a lot of work, & watery eyes squints... :{ I do most of the editing on my phone’s notepad so the screen doesn’t scroll all over the place when I try to correct something... I’m glad another Opel family member can benefit from some of the knowledge I’ve obtained over the decades of working on my own Opel GT... I tend to do information overloads & was wondering how long this website would tolerate me with my long rambling posts, but they don’t seem to mind, even though I don’t even post the majority of them in the right forum categories... One of my problems is that every time I post something, I later think of other things I forgot to mention, because every time I look at my GT I tend to spot some enhancement that I didn’t share... My tiny screen also hampers me in that regard, but I’d really like it if more Opel enthusiasts could see my posts & if they can possibly help even more people, so my modest bit of knowledge is never totally forgotten... Tho most of them are mine, some of these great tips were passed down to me from prior generations of modest to ingenious street mechanics, so it’s only fair that I share them with other older & newer generations ... Thanks again
    Last edited by Mr DJ-GT; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:27 AM. Reason: Typos, & slight additions
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well professional writer or not, your information is really good. I have certainly enjoyed what I have read. You are a great resource to have.
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr DJ-GT View Post
    Clear distributor caps will show you just which spark plug is missing or has a weak spark.

You can also get plenty of engine compartment door and window seals off newer vehicles a wrecking yards (dirt cheap) comparison to the stock & usually even thicker.... you can also find cool little low profile front air dams there a various model cars... Also dirt cheap!
    Word of warning on the clear caps...they are made of a plastic that will get very brittle over time. I had one on my car for a year or two and when I removed it one day, the entire cap crumbled into little pieces. In hindsight, I would recommend having one as diagnostic tool. but I'm reluctant to run one all the time.

The best luck I had with door seals at the junkyard was on an early 90's Yugo. Exact same profile, as they were still using the Fiat engineering from the 70's when the seal profiles were still just an off the shelf item, not specific to any car until cut and glued. might also look at any European vehicle engineered in the 60s-70s, even if made into the 80s-90s. Or give Gil a call....
    Commod蚌en likes this.
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by dpre View Post
    Well professional writer or not, your information is really good. I have certainly enjoyed what I have read. You are a great resource to have.
    Dan
    Thanks again Dan, although I知 often called resourceful, I never really consider myself a resource in this area compared to some of my resources, like Gil at (Opel GT Source), & Todd at (Opels Unlimited) who both actually humble me with their professional knowledge of Opels... Especially the way they stick up for Opel owners when insurance companies try to lowball us by under valuing our cars after accidents... Between the two of them they helped me get a decent amount of settlement money, by providing knowledge, documents & even replacement parts at very reasonable rates, after my car was sandwiched between two midsized cars while waiting for a light to change... So now my 釘aby has a whole new look...
    Oddly enough although my GT looked like an accordion, it was the only one of the three that drove away under it痴 own power...

Real Name
    Mr DJ
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another thing,

Quote Originally Posted by Mr DJ-GT View Post
    Thanks again Dan, although I’m often called resourceful, I never really consider myself a resource in this area compared to some of my resources, like Gil at (Opel GT Source), & Todd at (Opels Unlimited) who both actually humble me with their professional knowledge of Opels... Especially the way they stick up for Opel owners when insurance companies try to lowball us by under valuing our cars after accidents... Between the two of them they helped me get a decent amount of settlement money, by providing knowledge, documents & even replacement parts at very reasonable rates, after my car was sandwiched between two midsized cars while waiting for a light to change... So now my “Baby” has a whole new look...
    Oddly enough although my GT looked like an accordion, it was the only one of the three that drove away under it’s own power...
    Many of my posts are not in this introductory section, there’s one called cooling solutions that goes far more in-depth on the steps I took to cool down my GT... I think you can click on my name & choose to see every post I’ve made here, but (cooling, or overheating solutions) got the most responses... I think you should look that up at this site because it focuses more on engine cooling then any post in this introductory category... thanks again for your appreciation of useful tips...
    Last edited by Mr DJ-GT; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:15 PM. Reason: I miss spoke and corrected it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information