New member from Canada
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks: †0
Likes Likes: †0
Dislikes Dislikes: †0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: New member from Canada

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

New member from Canada

Good day. I just joined and a happy to have acquired what I think is a 1971 Opel GT. It came with a spare engine and lots of extra parts. I owned a restored GT when I was younger and could never shack the enthusiasm for the car. My new car has a good running motor but the body and the interior is rough. This is going to be a project over several years for me for sure and I look forward to tapping in to all of your experience and expertise with this beautiful little car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    dpre likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Tom
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome! 71í was a great year for the GT, thereís wonderful help here not to mention knowledge about these cars itís given me the courage to do things in the restoration department I wouldnít have tried on my own. Just ask and someone will point you in the right direction looking forward to seeing pic of your car, enjoy your restoration!
    soybean likes this.

Mike's Opel Shop Site Supporter opellane's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welecome

Welcome Aboard,, It seems like you've Been Infected with A Disease... yes,, Opelitis and there "" No Cure"" seems like you been lusting for one for a while.. Good Luck
    Hey,, post some pictures... of your 71 GT it's pretty easy to do... Show us Your 71 Opel

Cheers,
    -Mike
    Last edited by opellane; 1 Week Ago at 12:42 PM.
    soybean and dpre like this.
    MIKE
    ---------------------------------------------------
    1972 Opel GT, 1969 Opel GT, 1973 MGB,

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Happy opeling to you sir and WELCOME

You will find tons of info here
    And without calling anyone old there are members here that have forgotten more than I'll ever know
    Good Luck let's see this pearl to be
    dpre likes this.
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

Real Name
    Anders Teglman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @mishka077,

Welcome to the mad house, sure you'll enjoy, and please share a picture of your car / project. 1971, best GT year (same as mine)

Tally ho
    soybean and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Dale Doebert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mishka077 View Post
    Good day. I just joined and a happy to have acquired what I think is a 1971 Opel GT. It came with a spare engine and lots of extra parts. I owned a restored GT when I was younger and could never shack the enthusiasm for the car. My new car has a good running motor but the body and the interior is rough. This is going to be a project over several years for me for sure and I look forward to tapping in to all of your experience and expertise with this beautiful little car.

Welcome . Need more Opel BC boys around . I'm over on Vancouver Island with a 71 as well.This is the most informed group out there for your car. Get to know Gil at OGTS. He's the best parts guy around. Good luck
    dpre likes this.

OpelGT.com ‹bermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome fellow Canuck! I don't know of any Opel'ers in your immediate vicinity, but there are folks spread around BC and Alberta. We have a pretty active group here in Calgary, counting 12 at present. Drop me a line when you are in the neighborhood and we can chat about Opels
    dpre likes this.
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds Great. Iím down here in Nelson. Anywhere I can go to be with fellow Opel GT enthusiasts sounds great to me. I do get out that way from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dpre likes this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Iíll get some photos up of my field find real soon. I wonít have time to start on it until next year but I am hooked for sure.

Real Name
    Gerry Carrigan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the club...fellow Canadian. I believe our numbers are growing!! You will definitely get a lot of help from this group. Check out Gil at Opel Gt Source...you won't be disappointed.
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Dale Doebert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds Great. Iím down here in Nelson. Anywhere I can go to be with fellow Opel GT enthusiasts sounds great to me. I do get out that way from time to time.

There in a meet in Washinton every year. Been there many times.
    dpre likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, welcome to the forum.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely welcome to the Opel party. I’m very partial to 1971 Opel GT as I have one and a parts car with extra engine. If you don’t already have the Opel disease, you will in due time. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your GT.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

1971 Opel GT images

Well, here is my project. Found in a rural area. It definitely need some TLC. You can see there has been some work done on the motor. I have no history on this and donít even know whatís been done to the motor but is runs quite well. I have lots of extra parts for it and an extra motor. I would like to know any thoughts on upgrades to the motor, 2.0 vs 2.2 vs 2.4 litre. Looking for more jam plus reliability. Thank you for all of your enthusiasm.

Michael
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    nice find, and extra parts,, cool
    It's still amazing that these can be found! How does one just leave a gt in a field or where ever?
    You will get more info here than you can remember.
    Good luck and look forward to your progress
    P.S. your gt asked me to thank you for saving it.
    dpre likes this.
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

Real Name
    Dale Doebert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by terrylewisac View Post
    nice find, and extra parts,, cool
    It's still amazing that these can be found! How does one just leave a gt in a field or where ever?
    You will get more info here than you can remember.
    Good luck and look forward to your progress
    P.S. your gt asked me to thank you for saving it.
    I've had mine for about 10 years. If I had to do it over again I'd do the 2.4, inject it with a Getrag 5 speed tranny. As it is, I bored the 1.9 to 2.0 with a 38 Weber and some other extras and the Getrag. I've got to much into it now to justify a change.
    Last edited by kwilford; 1 Week Ago at 03:00 AM. Reason: Getrag not jetrag Dale
    dpre and terrylewisac like this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the feedback on your experience. Got lots of time for planning so all suggestions are welcome

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like a complete Opel, but certainly will need your time and money But hey that's what this party is all about. Like you said, you have time to research and decide what upgrades you want to do.

This forum is packed with valuable information in all aspects of any Opel model. It just takes time and patience to conduct searches for what information your seeking. Do a search on engine upgrade and you will spend plenty of time reading and getting your answers.

Good luck, we look forward to your posting of progress
    terrylewisac likes this.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome! Looks like a good project. When I was in Trail I had my GT at the Nelson show a couple of times. We generally show up at the Osoyoos and Penticton shows as well. I have one of those DGV carbs in a box somewhere if you need bits for it.

Corey
    Penticton
    dpre likes this.
    1971 GT - 2.4 "Legere" Stroker - Weber DCOE45 - Getrag - Compufire - S10 Clutch - Custom Racetec pistons
    1972 Corvette Stingray (Ok, it's the wife's), 2009 Audi A4 Quattro, 1976 Austin Mini 1000, 1969 Mini Cooper (in progress)

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I may have seen that car in the Nelson show. Was it per chance blue in color? I think we even chatted about our enthusiasm for the car. Good to hear from you all. I feel so welcome in the community and really look forward to starting my project and taking advantage of everyoneís experience and knowledge.
    Michael

dpre and terrylewisac like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information