I want one!
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I want one!

Downloads
    Uploads

I want one!

Heyya!

Just wanted to say hello --

I do not have an Opel myself, but I dream of them (no lie!) and can't wait to get one.

You guys are terrific - this site has been a terrific tool for my addiction, and I feel comfortable actually getting a GT of my own knowing that you all are around to help if/when something goes wrong, or just to chat with.

I'm not terribly experienced working on cars, but fully intend on doing as much work on the GT as possible. I'd love to hear any recommendations as to how/where to start - what books to get, important tools to buy now, yadda yadda yadda... Its nice to know that I'll probably get taken seriously here (no one believes that a girl might actually be interested in cars!).

Ciao!
    Nathan Strange
    (yeah, I'm a girl.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems to me there are several females on this site. Get a Factory service manual (FSM), Clymer shop manual, Opel gt source cat (OGTS). buy a good set of metric sockets and wrenches, and get and some old pants/ shirt. Safty glasses.
    and a GT you'll be good to go!

Good Luck, and Welcome,
    Webster

Downloads
    Uploads

congrats on getting the gt bug!

Hey, thats great you just caught the gt bug ! There a are a lot of resources for the gt. First things first, familirize your self with the community. This site is a great place to start, also try heading to this page : http://www.nethotel1.dk/wod/opelGT/si/O-sites.htm its a good link page for all things gt. Also, dont forget about the The Opel Association of North America at http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/oana/index.html they are one of the best sites out there....besides this one Also check out a few parts places, ebay, www.opelgt.com, www.opelsunl.com for just a few. Next step is start looking! What I would try to do is to find a partiall restored opel, not completely cherried, but not full of holes. Something that with some TLC could be very nice. Thats the best 'bank for the buck/sweat blood and tears" car. There are going to be a laundry list of things wrong with it, its 30 years old! But you sound quite enthusiastic and that is a very good thing. The biggest thing is dont over commit, I'm broke beacsue of my opel, and its going to be that way for a while...though it does look pretty good now I have had my GT for under three months and it has the most rewarding car that I've ever had. Start you search with autotrader, or something of that nature. Keep looking till you find the car that is right you fou. Make to have a good look over it, do a compression test, and ask any questions that you might have on the forums. As you noted everyone here is friendly, and at least somebody will have an answer to just about any question you can think of. Just take it step by step, and you be very happy. Again, welcome to the community of opel nuts, and enjoy your stay

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, thanks for the speedy welcome! I've been reading this site for about a year now, I think -- it's been great. One of the things that is so important, as you noted, is the *community*. The folks on this list have proven again and again that Opel folks are terrific.

And yes, there are several females! It's great! Again, it's that "community" thing...

Kmon, how do I go about doing a "compression test"? I think I've seen it mentioned here, but I don't remember seeing it outlined.

Webster, I've got the sockets and wrenches and safety glasses - but I don't have the books or catalog. Thanks for the information, both of you!

Yay!
    Nathan

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your Profile indicates you are from Martinez CA (fortunately). Opel GT Source (otherwise known as OGTS) is just up the San Joaquin Valley from there in Sonora. You are positioned nicely in Opel country. Take a day trip down there to see all kinds of GT's in every stage of repair from parts cars to drivers and custom vehicles. Their web page is found at: http://www.opelgtsource.com
    There's nothing like a hands-on visit to answer your questions - or generate a few new ones.

Bill and the FrankenOpel
    Opel GT - the eternal hobby

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless, of course, you are in the Riverside County Martinez, in which case you want to go over to Temecula to USA Opels.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/opelsforever

Bill

Downloads
    Uploads

Opel GT & Girls

Hi Nathan,

It's no surprise to see a girl wanting an Opel GT. They are one of the all-time best looking cars in the world.

If you love them now...wait to you have one in good running order with a nice paint job.

I'm also in California. and this is a great place to find these cars.

What kind of price range are you hoping to find one for?

Good Luck, Richard

Solo II is fun in a GT! okieopel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome aboard Natan.My favorite Opel book is the 'Opel GT Owners Workshop Manual' by Brooklands Books from OGTS #14008. It is an excellent reference and wealth of knowedge. It is also available thru other sources.
    Dan
    'okieopel'
    Oklahoma Opel Preservation Society
    O.O.P.S.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Opelmutt:
    Oh crimminy -- for some reason I had it in my head that OGTS was in southern cal. Turns out it's only 2+ hours away. I may be heading there tomorrow...might be forced to wait until next week. Dang. And no, it's not Riverside Cty Martinez -- I'm in Contra Costa County Martinez. Just outside of San Francisco. You've just gotten me in trouble!

SoCalOpelGT:
    Glad to hear that this is a good place for Opels! Now that I know that OGTS is so close, even my boyfriend is starting to give in. Of course, he's afraid he won't fit in it -- is a GT be comfortable for someone who is a slender 6'0"?

As far as price range, well, I don't really know. I'd love to stay under $2K, but I don't know how likely that is. I need a car that looks decent (perfection is not needed) and is running well. Seems like the ones I see for sale that are in that catagory are significantly higher in price. Financially, I shouldn't even be thinking about this (full time student and no job) but I can't help it. I'm sure you understand!

Nathan
    Martinez, CA

Downloads
    Uploads
    ah! to be young again!!!!
    I bought my first Opel in 1973 and drove it out of the showroom floor. It was a left over 1972 and they even gave me undercoating at no charge. I was so happy and proud to have somewhat of a unique car while my friends were driving chevy vegas. I lost that car in an accident three months later but I never lost the fever.

I got back in the Opel scene in 1988 when my next door neighbor was moving and under several tons of crap, there she was all dirty and beautiful. It was a '72 and the same color blue as my old one. Since then, I have owned as many as 6 GTs in all colors and equipment. I currently have four, one that I race, one that I drive, one that I experiment on and one that I look at but don't touch. This one sits inside a temp controlled garage and has 3,210 original miles.

A girl and an Opel, there is a god after all!!!
    Enjoy
    -------------------
    GT brake man

Downloads
    Uploads

OMC picnic

Be sure to make it to the OMC picnic in August. It's Opel heaven for 2 days. Originals, custom convertibles, targas, you name it. I think I will be attending for the first time myself this year from Seattle. With our without my GT.

-kyle

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I split the Compression Tester posts away from this thread. They now live Here.

self admitted opel addict free4u2nv's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome ghouligrrrl!

Lucky you to live so close to OGTS!

I flew there ,over a weekend, from Mt. Vernon, Illinois. Wanted to take a peek- see at where my parts would be coming from. I was impressed. OGTS is well organized and after seeing it I don't hesitate to get anything from them.
    Even though you are close to OGTS don't just drop in at the sacred Opel haven...it's not really a walk in store! You would be readily greeted, but they prefer to be notified when being visited. The shop is also the owners HOME.
    If you call first they are more than willing to give you a guided tour. The owners are super.*
    GOOD LUCK SEEKING YOUR FIRST!
    free4u2nv

My Opel doesn't just turn heads...it breaks necks!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    free4u2nv,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding OGTS. I'm glad I didn't decide to head over there today! I would have felt terrible! And I'm also glad to hear that you were so impressed with them - that is great news.

Thanks again - I'll make sure to give them a call before I go over there.

Thanks thanks for the well-wishes - I need them! ::

Nathan
    Martinez, CA

Downloads
    Uploads

Slightly random thoughts

I can't remember who it was who asked, but yes, a 6-footer will fit into one of these things, though he may have to put hands on the road to get back out (it was easier for me that way).
    I don't think having a well-running engine is such a big draw, even for a first-timer. If you're willing to learn on the way and don't know much about cars to start with, the sometimes-recalcitrant GT is a good way to learn much in a hurry!
    I especially liked learning that you CANNOT simply push the pistons through the bottom of siamesed cylinders. OOPS!
    Seriously, if comp is bad anywhere, I don't think it's that involved a process to pop off the head, drop the pan, loosen up some conrod bolts, shove the piston and stuff in some new rings.
    I have a quick question: does anyone know of an engine swap that used a converted outboard engine? I imagine it wouldn't be very torquey, but lots of power for the size (220 or so, I think)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im 6'4 and fit fairly well in my GT. But the only thing is that my head hits the ceiling without the seats in. Figure I can just lean the seat back. But will be having to sell the car once I get it painted and have the body kit put on. If you know anyone who would be interested please email me and let me know at [email protected]

Thank you,

Adam Huprich

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

6'4"?! Man, you should just ride on top!
    I once crammed myself and three friends into mine. I was the biggest; everyone else was ~5'7"

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey;
    I'm 6' 4" too and were baseball caps, but, I don't even lean the seat back. I fit rather well into my GT as well as my Sportwagon

Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont know, i was sitting on the floor and it was tight. but i plan on selling it anyhow so, it isnt that much of a worry.

self admitted opel addict free4u2nv's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Downloads
    Uploads
    6 footers fit just fine. My Gt hauls one around quite often.

Just make sure you get out of the car before they do so you can get to the other side of the car in time to watch them get out........

Oh, and your welcome ghouliegrrrl!
    free4u2nv

My Opel doesn't just turn heads...it breaks necks!!

Thread Information