My wife pointed me to this site...
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: My wife pointed me to this site...

Downloads
    Uploads

My wife pointed me to this site...

We just purchased a '74 Manta Luxus to be her daily driver when I've done a couple of fixes to it... reasonably straight and seems rust-free. With a brake job and a fix for the driver's door latch, it'll be here little git-around car, and boy, will it ever "git it!" I took it through a 35 mph set of esses at 70, and didn't even chirp a tire on the apron. Reminds me of my ol' boy-racer Datsun 510, but roomier.

Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    I, too, had a 74 Luxus. Great car! A couple suggestions based on experience:

Use the KYB GR2 shocks (don't forget the little 'spacers' you need for the fronts) and 185/70/13 tires (I really liked the Goodyear Eagle GT+4 I had). This combination does not give you the most grip, but it is very controllable and forgiving. You know exactly when the back starts to drift or slide and it is a very nice easy when it does. I never had the back snap around. At some point I put Ascona wagon springs on the front and was quite happy with the slightly stiffer front end.

And keep an eye on the subframe to subframe arm (the 'L' shaped piece that comes off the back of the subframe and connects to the chassis just ahead of your feet) connection area. 'Spirited' driving can cause stress tears under and around one of the bolts on the subframe arm side. And give the battery box area a good cleaning/scrubbing with baking soda and water to neutralize the battery acid. This is just above the fuse box and your feet. Usually the first area on these cars to have rust problems and it tends to travel down to the frame rail.
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dave ... I know what you mean. My 2 brothers and I, and 4 of our closest friends all drove 1973~75 Manta Ralley's and one Manta Luxus. They all ran and handled better than all the other so called economy cars in those days. You can still find the original dealer brochure for these cars on eBay.

Enjoy!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll keep an eye on the battery tray...

..and as far as the GR2's go, I may install them up front, but have found them a little stiff at the rear of front-engine cars. We just installed a pair on a '70 Challenger, and I think they're coming back off the back end before we make any long treks in her... every bump slaps you in the buttocks.

I'm considering a 1.5" - 2" drop up front, maybe 1" at the rear, and a set of 14" or 15" wheels... my first choice would be 5 slot aluminum wheels for a mini-musclecar look. I saw a set of old Gotti 13" wheels that look like they'd work at a local salvage yard - only $65 for the set, and they're 6" wide with a nearly neutral (just about 3.5" backspacing) offset.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbscrew... What are the specs on the Chally? I have a 70 T/A with a 340 slapstick and 484 lift. 12.56 in the quarter. I have KYS's on all four and love em... You are right though - they sure are stiff.
    A leader with no one following is just a person out for a walk.

Downloads
    Uploads

2 Challengers at the shop...

Both 1970 models... the big dawg is an orange/black 440 R/T (YEEEE-HAWWW!)

The other is one of the few slant 6-powered Challengers I've ever seen; we've re-done the suspension using urethane bushings and it's go a big disc-brake upgrade... there's a big-block K-member ready for it, and it's going to get a 400 block with a 440 crank ... this one will be the hot rod.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your probably right about the rears being too stiff, but without swaybars it helps with body roll (a little ) and when I have someone else in the car it doesn't ride as stiff.

But I also have springs with God-knows how many miles.
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

Thread Information