Introduction
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Introduction

Opel fan
    Downloads
    Uploads

Introduction

Hey Opelers. I've been a member for little while now. I joined up after looking around for a GT to buy for myself and not having much luck. I sold my last of the 3 GTs I've owned in 88 before I moved from Missouri ( Arnold ) to New Jersey ( Flemington ). I've been in NJ for about 15 years now, went through a Chevy stage, which are still my favorite US cars, but now I am hot on the trail of another GT. I want style, performance and economy from my next project. Most of the GT's I've seen on the east coast are so rusty or so expensive, I am not interested in starting my GT project like that. All I really want to start with is a good body. I do good body work but I don't want to piece a GT together. I am thinking about having USA Opel find one for me but they are so far away, and then to transport back to the east is not easy or cheap! Any comments about USA Opel? The parts seem so readily available now compared to the 80's when I owned my GTs. Let's all thank Gore for the internet and the new, easy way to get parts now! LOL ( political humor ) Seriously though, parts are pretty easy to get now, right? I haven't gotten another GT yet, but it seems like just about anything I would need would be available. I sure hope so. Does anybody know of a club on the east coast for the Opel? I also wonder which year is the best to get. I had a 73, a 71, and a 70. I thought I wanted a 69-71 because of the higher compression engines and solid lifter cam. I had trouble with the hydraulic lifters on the 73 wiping out lobes on the cam. Any suggestions there? I read on one of the forums here that only 72-73's had the pop out quarter windows. Can the 69-71 GTs have the later years windows installed on them? Anybody know of a good starter GT within a few hundres miles from here? Well, That's about all I have to say except , in case you didn't guess, my name is Jim Branham. Thanks and Happy Opeling!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome Jim!
    Did you check out this one Here in the Classifieds?

I put pop outs in my '69. It wasn't that bad to do.

Good luck in your search...

Opel fan
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up73 GT

Yes, e-mailed him a couple times, no reply yet!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome back (almost!) to the Opel fold, Jim.

I agree with your perception about parts availability being much easier now than even when the cars were almost new. I bought my first GT in 1977, and Buick had only stopped selling Opels (at least German Opels) a couple of years earlier. The dealer parts and service guys looked at me like I was speaking, well, German, when I asked for stuff. And my big brother (a pretty good Crown Prosecutor but a damn lousy mechanic) had owned it for a few years before that, and was absolutely frustrated that he had to do his own servicing. The GT hated it even worse! Which is how I came to own my first (and current) GT.

I have come to LOVE the Internet, and OGTS is a God send. Heaven forbid if Gil and Dennis were to disappear. I guess I would have to emigrate to California and take the business over. Hmmm.....

Anyway, I can't vouch for Jim Marchitto at USA Opel, except to say he is quite passionate about the marque. If I said more, he might threaten another lawsuit (just kidding, Jim. Really. No, really). While he might have a high'ish perception of the value of an Opel, I do understand that he has been quite successful in matching wann-be Opel'ers with their car.

There are several Eastern clubs, but more around the Michigan and Ohio areas. Well, that's East compared to me!

There are lots of opinions as to the best year for a GT. My opinion is the best year is whatever you can find with the least amount of rust. Everything else is just minor mechanical in comparison. The earlier high compression engines are nice, but a moderate rebuild gets you new flat-top pistons, if of the Chevy 265 variety. The later (12 bolt, post mid 1972) heads are weaker, but work fine if rebuilt and operated properly. The pop-out quarter windows came in late 1970 (the '71 model year), but there are reasonable ways to convert the earleir versions. I actually prefer the hydraulic lifters, but a solid lifter cam can be a good thing and not too expensive either.

HTH, and again, welcome.
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had Jim Marchitto help me find my car, and I couldn't be more pleased. He listened to what I was interested and helped me find my car almost immediately. There are photos of my GT in the member's directory. Right now, I'm slowly building up my tool collection, and this summer's project is to strip it down for paint.

Downloads
    Uploads

sodsmething in a NAME

Jim
    welcome to the opel world again. when I seen you name I had to
    read the whole post becaause you have the same name as my
    brother (who lives in Visalia ca) Jim Branham. Didn't think he
    converted to opels from VW's karman Ghia's.
    My name is wally braanham and I live in Jone Jack mo and just had to post you a message since I have not seen many
    Branham's listed anywhere else..

happy opel'ing

wally branham

Opel fan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Wally, what's up. Small world huh?.I lived in Missouri for a while but I never heard of Jone Jack Mo. My Dads name is the same as mine or should I say mine is the same as his, so now you know of at least 3 Jim Branhams! Take it easy and happy Opeling to you too.

Thread Information