A very long simmer
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: A very long simmer

Downloads
    Uploads

A very long simmer

I have been bursting at the seams waiting for the right place to tell this story... to people that can appreciate it.

I have been going to my father's shop and as many car shows as my mom's buick wagon would take us to since before I could walk. In that time I had never seen an opel, other than a few random pictures of a Kadette that my grandparents once had. Over the years, my father would also have stories about how he became the greatest auto mechanic ever, and one of those stories starts with him working for a Toyota dealership in the late '60's (stay with me here). Because they were Toyota's, of course he was forced to purchase a set of metric wrenches. A couple years later, he was now working for a Buick garage. One day a manager walked into the service department and bellowed "Who has a metric wrench? Good your going to General Motors training school and you are going to learn how to service the new Opels" The new what? When he returned, the parts department would hand him the Opel parts book and walk away.

A few years went by, Grandpa's Kadette was replaced by a Regal, I was born, the Riviera was parked, my father started his own garage, mom's Buick wagon got a 455 and four barrel (that was ALOT of fun), and my dad always fawned over the Opels in the retelling, and now, 24 years later, I have still NEVER SEEN a single Opel in person, only heard alot of stories about them.

I have now graduated from college, and become even more addicted to octane ("go to school and work with your mind, cars can be your hobby, I will not let you work on cars for a living"). I bought a new Buick Regal GS (with a blown 3.8 EFI, wrong wheel drive) for a daily driver for my hour long commute to work. With a little spare change in my pocket, I put myself in the hunt for a hobby car. I started with a '66 Mustang that was completely disassembled and then given to me. That was no fun, I wanted a proper Buick. While rifling through the internet for a Buick that would be fun to build up yet economical, I came across a vintage ad listed under Buick for the then new Opel GT. Whoa. What is that, and why don't I have one.

I Googled Opel GT for about three days straight, and kept coming back to www.opelgt.com, and I kept seeing the same ad at the bottom of the home page for a Black 73 GT, in good shape, low miles needs a starter... and in my price range. I printed out all the information, and showed everything to my dad, he laughed, very loud. I instantly forgot that he had ever worked on these, and automatically thought that he did not approve of a little German 4-banger. He chuckled his way down to the cellar and returned with all of his original service manuals, some promotional material, a couple of carbeurators and some other random tidbits. I bought the GT as soon as the owner returned my calls.

Less than three weeks ago, I had never seen an Opel GT. I am now the VERY proud owner of one.

My father is purposefully trying not to help me with the car so that I can learn as much as possible about it, but I do get the shop all to myself on the weekends.

And I have never had more fun in my entire life.
    Keep it Blitzed

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    AMEN!!!!!!!!
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really should have added this, you're entire life, to this point, has been without Opels, mine is the reverse, I have been all my life with opels, driving them everyday for 25+ years. I recently bought my first (and only, hopefully) house with two neighbors on one side that are Studebaker fanatics, but, when I moved in, I was welcomed with open arms. We all go to car shows and cruise-ins together. I recently aquired a second 74 Sportwagon for my wife and she wants to start taking it to shows. But, I still love it when I drive around and get stares, and "thumbs-up" from total strangers!
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

70's Opeler, back 4 more!
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good for you!

I'm kind of a cross between both of you.

I bought a GT early in my driving history and it took me through college and into married life. Of course, at that time, most everybody knew what an Opel was. It was one of the "Mini Vettes" used by the Shriners in their motorcades, side pipes and all. I ended up selling it after our first child was born. (There's no place for both a wife and a car seat and the wife didn't want to stay home alone.)

Well, my son has just turned 16 and my wife was thinking a GT would be fun to for him and his younger brother to get their hands on and greasy. They are both wanting to learn auto mechanics and what better car. Our thought was, They look great, They are great on gas mileage, they are cheap on insurance, the guys can do the work themselves. The timing is great too with the release of the "2 fast, 2 furious" movie.

They have been showing it off to their friends, none of whom have ever seen one.

There have been the comments such as;

I can't believe your folks would let you drive that since it's a sports car.

Insurance has got to kill you.

Surely, the insurance company rates it as a sports car.

So, after a 16 year layoff, we now have a GT in our garage again. This time I have another car to use while working on this one.

Thread Information