I think I'm the newest???
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I think I'm the newest???

Downloads
    Uploads

CoolI think I'm the newest???

Hello All...

I've been on board here for about a week or so now, just lurking, seeing how things are...

I'm originally from Florida, Englewood area on the Gulf Coast, graduated high school in '73. At that time I owned a '69 Opel GT, schoolbus yellow, beautiful little car!! Bought it in either '71 or '72 for a whopping $1500. It was a tough choice at that time between the Opel or a '63 Jaguar XKE bubble top, 12 cylinder, the Opel won, gas was getting up to 32 cents a gallon....

After all this time, with nearly 27 years of marriage, 3 grown kids and 4 grandchildren, I've always been asked every year what I want for birthdays, father's day, etc... Of course, the answer was an Opel GT...

Last Friday I finally got my second Opel... after 30 years and never having seen one during that time... only "problem" is that this one is RED... darn... sure would like that yellow again... hehe

I'm now in Tara, Ontario, Canada, and this Opel is in fairly decent shape... no rust at all, 73,000 miles, driven up till 1980 and never plated since, stored in a garage...

Now, I need to find a carburetor manifold... does anyone know of a cross-ref part for this? I've looked in the forums here for the listings, but haven't found any for manifolds... Is there a certain type of VW that would work, etc???

Anyway, I'm starting to get long winded here, so I'll just mosey on along and check in later....

Snowdraegyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

101st Airborne 1/327 Inf Site Supporter MICAH1's Avatar
    Real Name
    Thomas Johnson
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Snowdraegyn, I to had a 73 Gt but gave it up shortly after marriage to a buddy in a local opel gt club we started. Guess what, I will retire tomorrow and my first born girl surprised me last week end with a 73 black opel gt for my retirement present. I am picking up were I left off 12 years ago. who says you can't go around twice. Oh by the way, my first GT was sunshine yellow.........

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to another Canuck. Even if you are a Yank living up here.

Lots of info about carb conversions here. Do a search on "Weber" and you will be INUNDATED with information. But in simple terms, you want a Weber 32/36 DGV series, either a DGV (manual choke), DGAV (water heated choke, best for cold Canadian winters) or a DGEV (electric choke, easiest of all to hook up and just fine if you aren't using it as a Daily Driver in the dead of winter). These are all direct bolt up carbs. You don't want (nor need) to change the intake manifold.

Also have a look at our Canadian Opel Club section. By the way, where is Taro?
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome Snowdraegyn! it's traditional that the new guy buys a round a beer for the club.

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I'm almost out of Molson Canadian.

Originally posted by notavette
    Welcome Snowdraegyn! it's traditional that the new guy buys a round a beer for the club.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fresh round....

The noise in the small room was almost unbearable when the door opened, and framed in the light was the outline of the Snowdraegyn.

The room became quiet, and the figure easily closed the door behind him, its rusty hinges squeaking as the last rays of light filtered through the smoke in the room.

All eyes were on the strange man as he quietly made his way to the bar. An eerie pall fell over the bar tables, raising the hair on everyone's neck as the Snowdraegyn greeted them by name:

"Hey Kwilford, thanks for the carb info, 'preciate it. By the way, Tara is about 120 miles north west of Toronto, in cottage country at the base of the Bruce Peninsula, 15 minutes from Owen Sound."

"Hi ya, Micah1. How'd ya manage to get yer daughter to pay for all that? Wanna talk to mine? chuckle...."

The Snowdraegyn made his way to the bar, finding an empty seat between Gary and Notavette. Nodding at the bartender, the Snowdraegyn orders a round of Coors and Coronas for the boys.... "My pleasure, cheers..."

And the noise started all over again....

Thread Information