1969 GT gone by
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 1969 GT gone by

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy1969 GT gone by

Hi all. I'm new to the Opel GT groups and forums. I am a long past owner of a 1969 Opel GT. Today, I'd love to have her back.
    When I returned home, to Dayton, OH, from Vietnam in June 1970, I bought a new-off-the-lot GT. She was blue with white interior. I drove her all over the place, mainoy back and forth from Fort Riley, Kansas to Dayton. By mid-1971, I was taking on a new wife and baggage, so I sold her (not the wife - maybe should have) with somewhere about 20,000+ miles on her (also not the wife). I had one small rear-ender, leaving a small dent in the rounded trim over the rear panel. Aside from that, I had added an 8-Track tape deck to the inside rear storage compartment. She was sold in Dayton. I checked Ohio DMV, but they don't have records that far back to get the VIN and do a trace.

Today, I'd love to find her and get her back. Or, find another in some kind of running order and keep her. THAT wife is gone. The new wife thinks it would be a good idea, if all our vacation money and savings were eaten up with it.

Any input, ideas, suggestions?
    Dan - Manhattan, Kansas

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Could this be it?

This was posted on the Yahoo Group.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

GT gone by

I don't think so. Mine was the darker blue. However, I'm shopping for most any in a running condition.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blue and white are the WRONG colors in Wildcat territory. Better find a purple GT or paint it. Don't want to be confused for a KU fan.

Old Hippy claims to be from McFarland, KS. Nobody would lie about that.

I shouldn't joke. I bought my Nissan in Salina and have relatives in Lindsberg. I drive up and down I-70 speedway enough. Glad you're on the Forum.

Downloads
    Uploads

1969 GT gone by

LOL Yes, purple would be a safer color for around here. But if I had her back, I'd chance it. I bet I'd sport a Power Cat on her somewhere though.

McFarland? Salina? Ah yes, the I-70 run from Bonner Springs to Goodland. And in my days, I-70 wasn't always a 4-lane through the central states and the old 2-lanes really slowed a young soldier's quick trips home, even in a little blue GT!

Thanks.

Opeler
    North Dakota. Check a map. you'll find us.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a thought here. I've never used this but if you had the VIN you might be able to use one of those car history outfits on the Web. I think one is called CarFax?

if it was sold a couple of times, there might be records out there somewhere.

What the heck, I think these things only cost $20.00

LOL
    Doug

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Doug. I don't have the VIN and tried Ohio DMV, but their records don't go back that far. IF I find one I think might be it, I bet you're right on the Car Fax thing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey there, dan101. Yes, quiet country living . I'll keep my spies out and let you know about any GT's. I'm buying the motor, tranny and axle assy back from a guy who bought it from the prev-owner ($150). There use to be some GT's in a lot near him, but not in great condition. You may have to e-buy or, like me, get a worn-out one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Dan: My story is almost the same. I bought a new blue with white in April 1970 when I came home. Traded it in in 1977 with about 150,000 miles on it. I've had 5 GT's since then but none are as sweet as the original.

Downloads
    Uploads
    By the way is the dealer you bought it from still around. They might could help you with the VIN

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, enough digging and I found one pic. I can't make out the dealer decal very well, but it looks like TATONE BUICK. Seems like I bought in in Fairborn, but may have been in Dayton. I have an old tag #, if anyone has a police contact to run it, but I doubt a 1970 registration would show up. Private email if you have any ideas ([email protected]). Boy, brand new, plastic on the seats....boy was that dumb to let her go! If I can get it scanned, I'll add it later on here.
    Dan

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bob Tatone Auto Center
    845 N. Broad St.
    P.O. Box 352
    Fairborn, OH 45324
    878-3914
    Mr. Bob Tatone

However, they don't appear to be a Buick dealer now.
    http://www.bobtatoneautocenter.com/welcome.html

Maybe they sold out to this group:
    http://www.fairbornbuick.com/

If you got a ticket while driving the GT it might reveal some info. Your insurance agent might be able to provide the VIN # from 1970.
    Last edited by opelgt722002; 08-02-2003 at 06:49 PM.
    Bob

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got a ticket in my GT? Me? Nope. MP's never caught me. And I never ran from ANYBODY.....close enough to ID me. Then to think I became a Cop later in life. Go figure.

Thread Information