New Toys
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New Toys

Downloads
    Uploads

CoolNew Toys

Hi everyone. I've been checking out the site for a few days and have found tons of usefull info and motivation. Thanks to everyone for the willingness to help and share some of their experience. My girlfriends father and I just bought a 72 & a 73 GT from my neighbor and are trying to get them back into shape after they've been sitting outside for a couple of years. The 73 has some mild mods and the 72 is all stock mechanically. 73 fired up with minimum fuss but has no brakes except emergency brake. Figure the master's shot. I have been working on it after work and haven't had a chance to do much to the 72 yet. I plan on webber carb and some body kits and paint on it along with some better tires and wheels.
    I'm glad to hear from some of the area owners, might keep me motivated and on track with these projects.
    You live and learn. Or you don't live long. ----- Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    You might want to dig into the brake hoses before you tear apart the MC. The hoses have a real bad habit of swelling shut and giving you the impression the mc is bad. Also check to make sure the brake booster is working. A good sign that it is not, is the car wont idle when you hit the brake. Welcome to the world of crazy Opel guys , I mean people. Can't forget about the ladies out there.

Texas Opel Preservation Society

70's Opeler, back 4 more!
    Downloads
    Uploads
    KSGT,

Where abouts are you located?

I'm in Shawnee, and I know Bucky is in Overland Park.
    Two left turns don't make a right,
    but three do!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll check out the lines this afternoon and see what I can find. My neighbor is back and brought parts from some GT's he scrapped earlier. He says there are a couple of engines, rear ends, ect.. I'm hoping some brake parts.
    I am 30 - 40 miles south of KC outside a little speck called Lane. It is just south of Paola, Osawatomie area on 169 hwy. Good to hear of some opelers in the area.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Morning, Kansas Opliers! I'm 36 miles west of Topeka and dan101 is in Manhattan. Seems we can have a good little club here. I knew there were Opels about, but I never thought there would be that many here when I moved from SoCa (in 83).

Downloads
    Uploads
    My wife's Aunt and Uncle just moved to Paola and I use to work with someone that lived in Osawatomie.

We should start the wheels rolling for a get together in the area. Sounds like we are working on a pretty good group around the Eastern Kansas area.
    but three do!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems I recall someone in the KCMO area too. And, if anyone is interested, the North Topeka Dairy Queen hosts regular car shows/meets/get-2-gethers. No matter, if anyone knows where they'll be any GTs showing up, and it's close enough for a nice drive, I'd love to see one close up again!
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi,

I a bit east in St Louis working the bugs out of a "73 manta. this weeks problem is electric gremilins.... like step on the clutch and the radio dies... But last week was the brakes. IE the lines

I had tried replacing bits and pieces but i strongly suggest if you are down ther just change them all f you can afford it at the time. I changed the MC first too when my problem had to do with a crushed tee conector in the back that leaked under hard presure and the end end of one line was also warped and wouldn't seal. Sadly it took me three day to figure it out.

After i changed the back lines i was amased at the color differance between the front and the back in the MC. I had the old lines in front with all new brake parts and new front hoses and new line in back. same kind of fluid just the front lines were so nasty that they caused a noticable color differance.

change them all! It sure feels like I have a lot more petal after changing the lines.

C

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's great to know how close some of you are. We need to get together and see if we can help each other out. I was going thru some of the boxes of extras that came with the 2 GT's and found all sorts of parts, guages, trim, windows, am radios, lenses, along with 2 motors, tranny, and a rear end.
    I am not sure how much if anything these are worth but I am looking to find another stock wheel (have 3 ?!), weber carb, elect. ign., maybe some aftermarket wheels, and or body kit parts. I've been checking on ebay and found some of the wish list and thought of putting some of my extras on or list them in the classifieds. Is there a need for all these extras or does everyone just order new from OGTC ? ( I'm still waiting on my catalog)

Downloads
    Uploads
    calvin,
    I know what you mean about some of the shorts. I put a new radio in and everything was fine until I stepped on the brake. It shut the radio off momentarily. It was the wierdest thing. I replaced that radio with another and all is well. Same hot wire attachment areas.

ksgt,
    You may want to hang onto some of your parts if you have room. The thing with these cars is that the parts are hard to find when you do need them. OGTS is a great place to purchase from. They are really great about answering really obscure questions also.

There are a couple of other great places. Just use the search function and it will bring up several.

That said, if you are looking to sell one of your engines, I'd might be in the market. I have one that is running fine now, but I have to correct an oil leak sometime this winter.

Thanks,
    Chris
    but three do!

Thread Information