Newbie Introduction.... with a quesiton on prestoration priorities
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Newbie Introduction.... with a quesiton on prestoration priorities

Downloads
    Uploads

Newbie Introduction.... with a quesiton on prestoration priorities

OK here goes, I am anew to these forums ne wto gt's and new to restoration (great combo eh?). Currently drive a moddified 99 merc cougar, i am a ford guy through and through but just love the look everythign about these little things. I am buying greensmurf20's old 70GT that is comeing to me in bushel baskets and needs ALOT of work over the next say 3 years before i plan on ever driving the car. should be a blast, I ahve car experiance with motor rebuilds suspension work (only new suspensions so this will be unique to work with for me) and alot of custom cosmetic work (my GT will probably get full custom interior and not much modified but some on the exterior of the car).

So here is my quesion if someone woudln't mine helpign me out with their thoughts... Where should i start? i Guess i am going to make a full plan of EXACTLY what i want on this car so that i don't waste time or money making or buying thigs that will never be used. but once that plan is done what should i start with ? cleaning up the body getting any rust cleaned up and the body smooth? or Start with my Engine (looking to get about 200 HP i hope from a nice engine with alot of machine wrork i think 2.4 but haven't read enough to knwo forsure what i want to do with the motor), do suspension and drive line first? where should i start...

i have been told by some people to start with the motor because once you get it runnign you will be more intrigued and want to get it ready to drive faster.... but i think i relly should start with the body and atleast get the car in primer so that any rust probmes can be cleared up before they get any worse... does that make sense to you guys to do that? like gut the car out interior all our everythign and then clean it inside and out and get it smooth and primer it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opelholic
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just a suggestion

Work on the suspension and BRAKES first. Anyone can make a car go fast. Making it stop safely is another story. Install the big brake package. I believe OGTS has a kit for sale.

Welcome and good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it is coming to you in pieces the first thing to do is determine where you stand with it. What I mean is look over everything. Determine where your worst problem is. It could be rust or window seal problems or something else that will only get worse or cause more problems. Then put together a good inventory of what you have that you are going to use. Check the block and head for cracks and overly worn parts. In doing these things you should get a good picture of where you need to go. It should also let you make some decisions easier. Such as if tranny is shot, replace or upgrade? Came with a solex, use it or get something better? Being new to the car is harder because you never got to drive it or take it apart. Good luck, it sounds familiar mine took a wrecker and 3 car interiors full to move everything.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

THe Body!

I favour getting into the body work first after you have taken stock of what you have and what needs to be done.

The body work takes a considerable time and as you get to the painting stage the engine can be started on - nothing kills a new engine like standing around in a damp garage for a couple of years!

The brakes/suspension/diff can be used as fill-in jobs while the body work waits for filler and undercoat to harden. We waited several weeks a couple of times to get real good hot sun onto my GT to properly cure the fairing out filler and then the undercoats.

Once the body is nearing completion the urge to get the motor done becomes overwhelming But do not forget rewiring and rechroming and under sealing and and and .....
    That motor should be real fresh when it goes in as it will probably
    have some sort of guarantee which is time limited and , I say again, don't leave motors sitting around - start them as soon as possible and run them often.

Then again my car is painted and the brakes/suspension et al is still getting done and bits for the motor are arriving in the mail!
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Downloads
    Uploads
    mechanical, body/paint, and interior in that order. Otherwise one may ruin the other. For instance. working mechanical can dammage body and paint, and overspray in the painting process can goof up a restored interior.
    I don't expect you know what an Opel GT is, but I need some parts.

Thread Information