new to opels
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: new to opels

Downloads
    Uploads

new to opels

Hello all! I'm new to this site and new to Opels. I recently bought a 1972 OpelGT. It took a few days to get it running but once it was i drove it about one mile before i realized that the tranny was done. I knew i was going to have to do a swop. So i thought i would convert it from an automatic to a 4 speed manual. Just for fun and a challenge. Just wondering if anyone has ever done this before and if anyone has any tips? Also i was wondering about fuel systems. When i got my opel it had a 2bbl carb and thats about all i know. I also got a spare 2bbl weber with the car. I was wondering which kind of carb would be the best? Should i even use a 2bbl? What will run the best?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jared
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if you have a solex on your car right now, the weber will run much better. a couple people have gone from auto to manual, and from what i understand, its easily done. probably more info on it somewhere in the forum. if you need the tranny or anything to do the conversion, let me know as i have everything except the clutch its self. make ya a pretty good deal, 75 bucks for driveshaft, tranny, bellhousing, shifter, cable, flywheel and pedal set up.
    previousely owned 8 GTs and 1 manta.

currently own

92 25th anniversary Z28. Ttop, leather, 370CI LSx T56 swap
    407 RWHP, 391 RWTQ, 11.74 @ 121

67 chevy sportvan deluxe....next in line.

73 chevy K-10- plow truck

71 GT, 1.9 4speed

2007 chevy silverado 1500, crewcab, loaded, Canadian limited edition GFX package Daily driver

Downloads
    Uploads

tranny swop

Hello again, I've almost completed the tranny swop the only thing i need is a cross member and i've heard that OGTS has a used one for $20. And for the most part the conversion from automatic to manual was pretty simple. Keep in mind that i'm only 17 and i managed. oh and back to that weber carb. If i get any carb thats not stock i'll need to get a different linkage right? Because when i got the car the carb it had on it wasn't stock but he didn't have the right linkage. so weber=new linkage?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: tranny swop

Originally posted by opelgt_rookie
    ... so weber=new linkage?
    All you need is the ball nut from the Solex and the bracket that the linkage fits into.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen at OGTS they have the linkage bracket for something like $7.50. Does that sound about right?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Part # 9029 bracket 7.00, #9060 ball nut 8.00. That should do it.
    If your gonna do that, think about 9005 and 9006 at 3.50 each. they are the throttle grommets for both sides. I've seen a number of GT's that these were missing or messed up.

Last edited by nobody; 12-07-2003 at 02:18 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey thanx, like i said before i'm new to opels and any kind of help helps. I didn't even think of the throttle grommets. I'm placing an order tomorrow i'll add that to the list. Oh another thing i'm having problems with... the PO had redone all the wiring which would have been nice if it were done right and not so excessive. I now have a huge wiring harness above my peddles and it kind of gets in the way. Does anyone have any experience with wiring in opels?

Downloads
    Uploads
    JJ Wheatley at Destec has an outstanding plastic covered wiring schematic. I just got the last one he had available. If you were to twist his arm slightly he may entertain making another run of these fantastic schematics. They are very easy to read and have his notes on the various mods needed to continue having minimal problems with the wiring. These far surpass the wiring schematics I've seen in the Clymers manuals. You can trace each wire throughout the schematic from start to finish for two reasons, they are color-coded drawings and they are not bunched up at the connectors and other areas where the wires are drawn close to each other. HTH.

Ron

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by namba209
    JJ Wheatley at Destec has an outstanding plastic covered wiring schematic.
    Ron
    Remember i'm new to this ...who is JJ Wheatley and what is Destec? I'm interested

Downloads
    Uploads
    Go to the member's button on the top of the home page and click on it, then hit the "D" button and then go to the 3rd page of the "D" listings and look for DESTEC. You can send him a "Private Message" or contact him by e-mail from his profile listing. HTH.

Ron

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you all again. But now i must go and replace a water pump on my daily driver (91 volvo station wagon) Means i'm not working on my opel.

Thread Information