opelitis
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: opelitis

Downloads
    Uploads

opelitis

A warning to some of the new opel owners that have joined recently. You may contract opelitis through contact with these cars. It is a rare affliction and in some cases you can become a carrier to spread it to other people. There is no know cure, and no research has been done to find one. Symptoms include an overwhelming urge to have more opels, more parts, or that elusive 68 GT. It can be overpowering or be dormant for years. Your only hope is to seek out a support group where your affliction can be acknowledged and accepted.

Hi I am nobody and I have opelitis. My last opel is still in the driveway.

I feel better now

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello everyone,

My name is Mark and I'm a newly re-infected Opelholic. I have been a GT fan since I was a youngster, and I owned a '74 Manta Luxus in the mid-eighties. Esmie (short for Esmerelda) was sold out from under me by my soon-to-be ex-wife. A classic tale of lost love; the Opel of course, not the ex. I remained Opel-less, in a state of withdrawal I couldn't understand until six months ago, when I fell in love again. Yes, I have since remarried, but I'm talkin' Opels here! I found a sweet curvaceous '72 GT to lavish my affections on. At first my wife didn't understand and refused. Perhaps she had a subconscious warning about possible divided loyalties. The thing that clinched the deal was my telling her that this would be my mid-life crisis, and she would not have to worry about me taking a mistress.

Now for the juicy details. The as yet unnamed GT was last driven by her second boyfriend in late '82 and not registered since then. He did have the good sense to warm her up once in a while during her long confinement. Her heart is strong (only 82k miles) and she breathes clearly too (rebuilt solex). She has kept her curvy figure (only small dings) and her skin is smooth and clear except for just a little cancer around the rear(wheels). She's beautiful on the inside as well (white interior w/ one small hole on the drivers seat cushion), and she has had no implants (all stock - even the original GT radio by Delco). She only needed dialysis(oil and filter change) and a transfusion (brake fluid)& bleeding, and she was moving like a lady half her age. One more thing needs to be done before she can be totally legitimate (registered), and that is optic nerve surgery to correct a problem (wiring short)in her right eye (headlight). We'll deal with the skin cancer later as time and finances allow. She knows she is loved and seems content to waltz around the neighborhood until it's safe for her to mingle in society again.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was bitten by this same bug in 1979. It went dormant in 1985 and 3 opels later, it is active again. Please don't help me I will have to live with this for the rest of my life.
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opelholic
    Downloads
    Uploads

opelitis

Hi, I'm Gopelt and I'm an opelholic. The urges come and go and this has been going on for over 20 years. I've been faithfull though. I've been completely faithful to her through the good times and bad. I'm afraid though that after 20 years of caressing her with wrenches and welders that I may have to put her down. I hate to see her suffer in the way that so many have suffered before. I'm just afraid that once she is gone I will collapse into myself and waste away as well. Can she be replaced with just any 4 wheeled contraption that calls itself a car? I think not! What then shall I do? Perhaps I will wander the far arid territories that I have heard of that at times host a tired but worthy companion. Maybe there I will find a suitable candidate to practice my caresses again. For I know that there is no cure for this affliction that Nobody speaks of.

I suddenly feel better.

Opel fan
    Downloads
    Uploads

opelitus

Yes indeed, there is no cure for opelitus. I thought I was cured, for 15 years it stayed away. I tried other cars, but in the back of my mind there was this sleek, sporty image that haunted me. At the gas stations I would fill up my tank and reminisce of the 30 MPG I used to get with my GT instead of the 10-15 MPG I was getting with my home grown toys. A look at the instrument cluster would inevitably be compared to the awesome style of the GT's. Hide-away-headlights were nothing compared to the revolving headlights and those curves... oh, those curves on the fenders, the bubble on the hood... After 15 years of suppression, it finally exploded. I now have 1 really nice driver, 2 projects to be brought back to life, and 2 more parts cars out of 4 parts cars to finish parting. When I'm done I'll have 3 nice drivers. One stock except Weber and Petronix, one slightly modified with mild hi-po engine with Sprint exhaust and ported intake, 5-speed Getrag, big brakes and hopefully lsd impulse rear gears and another one with a v-6 auto or mild hi-po auto for the wife. I think I should've just kept one over the years and maybe this wouldn't have been such a drastic re-occurence of Opelitus. Once you are infected, resistance is futile!!
    Jim B.

Real Name
    Jared
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hi, i am jared and i too have opelitis. i've cought this sickness very young at age 14, and has just gotten worse over the last year. have now owned 4 opel GTs, but will soon be down to one, as i'm selling my 70GT, the first car of mine that was roadworthy for christmas money. somebody find a cure before i sink another 2K into these silly little cars!!! JK, i love these things, and on a more serious note, its what most people call my "anit-drug" spending time in the barn with these cars and my father keeps me from spending my money and time elsewhere where i would eventually probably get into trouble, and other afflicted things. i believe its a great sickness, everybody needs a hobby as adicting and fun as our Opels.
    previousely owned 8 GTs and 1 manta.

currently own

92 25th anniversary Z28. Ttop, leather, 370CI LSx T56 swap
    407 RWHP, 391 RWTQ, 11.74 @ 121

67 chevy sportvan deluxe....next in line.

73 chevy K-10- plow truck

71 GT, 1.9 4speed

2007 chevy silverado 1500, crewcab, loaded, Canadian limited edition GFX package Daily driver

Downloads
    Uploads
    The part I missed is what Jim spoke of. If for some reason it goes dormant for any period of time, It comes back stronger the next time. My own affliction has gone dormant 4 times in 26 years and each time it has gotten worse, the present GT and the dollars in it have outdone the last two combined. I am keeping this one for no other reason to keep me off a boat bringing back a black market Opel.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi everyone -
    I was apparently very suseptible to Opelitis as I bought the first Opel I had ever seen in person that was for sale. I am 26 years old, and my Opel is older than I am - but, as you can see from my own introduction, I'm working on modernizing it a bit. The Opel GT, in my opinion, has the most attractive body shape you can buy on a middle class budget. I doubt my affliction will end soon as an entire garage has been built to perpetuate my opelitis. I would build space for another one, but I'm out of land. I'm looking for a bigger lot.

Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads

opelitis-opels-volvos

be glad we are not a volvo club...they get "vulvitis".

beautiful day in KC...made the 70 s music sound so much better...it is said that kansas has more sunny days than any other continental state.

drove Celeste for the first time in about 1o days due to snow.

roads were dry...she cut thru the cool winter air as if she was back in the windtunnel at the University of Stuggart
    Celeste: 1917cc ,Getrag ,Big valves,ported,ISKY cam on solids,Opel forged rods,9.52 compression,total seal gapless,oil dam,RB gasket mod., DCOE side drafts,sprint,pertronix,SACHS clutch,OGTS & Kadette sway bars,no oil leaks. Big brakes. Avatars Photos Carlisle 2010 by Jennie V.Thank you's to Bruce Butler and Gabe Sanchez

Driven twice to Carlisle 2,351 miles RT successfully, broke down on first trip

Downloads
    Uploads
    :o
    Hello, my name is Barry, and I'm a Opelholic. As a new driver, I looked at the brand new GT's in the Buick cage, thinking myself safe. No way I was gonna loose my self to Opel abuse. Ah, the foolishness and folly of youth. Dreaming of that young thing in my hands, when.....CHOMP!... I was bitten and the truth dawned on me! I was never the same until I saved my 71 from the junk yard and rescued my 70 from the overgrown lot where she was hidden. Now, as I prepare to strip her, to run my hands over her and let the sweat drip from my face...........AIGN'T LIFE GRAND!

Thread Information