Never introduced, been surfing site yr+
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Never introduced, been surfing site yr+

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

SmileNever introduced, been surfing site yr+

Hello forum

I've been surfing this site for some time - over a year at least now. Just thought I'd drop a line on this forum to introduce myself to anyone else wasting time at work. (boss has already left for Christmas, and if I work too hard today, I'll have NOTHING to do tomorrow. At least that's one way to justify slacking off)

I have a 1970 Opel GT in a lovely shade of primer grey. The only thing not welded to the car are the doors, which are still attached. She wasn't always that way, of course. She was a daily driver just a little over a year ago, when I decided I was going to shine up just a couple of parking lot dings. Then I found that the paint didn't match the original, and there was a lot of bondo under there. I stripped the car to the metal. While it was stripped down to the metal, I figured, now would be a good opportunity to mold in some cool-looking fender flares. Big fender flares will hold big wide tires, and I feel like I would be a poser if I didn't put a big fat power plant under the hood to turn the big fat tires. So thus began my 3.4V6 conversion... which, if all goes as planned, the car will be painted yellow, and the V6 engine will be in the car before Jan5. Of course how many deadlines like that have I set for myself and missed?

Where my project is:
    Stripped Opel down, cleaned to the metal, molded in flares, painted primer grey.
    rebuilt junkyard V6 engine
    mated 93 camaro engine to '83 T4 manual S10 tranny (yes I know this is a very low ratio motor - I plan to use it for autocross, and T4's are priced right - $50/apiece!)

MY PLAN IS BEFORE SPRING:
    complete 3.4L V6 (from '93 Camero) installation (motor mounts fab'd - big job for me 'cause I'm a shotty welder)
    Full cage installed (OK, it's not really a race car, but I already have the steel and just something about a full cage seems pretty cool - and I'd feel a little safer screaming alongside SUV's on the freeway)
    Install '89 Impulse rear end with locking diff (already have junkyard rearend)
    Re-do the interior - probably fiberglass the cracked up dashboard and install all new gauges (obviously I'm no purist) and put in some true aluminum racing seats I picked up - and 5-point harnesses to intimidate passengers.
    Aluminum aircraft style fuel filler - just all part of the racy look I'm going for
    re-designed suspension w/ adjustable coilovers for the front and rear - (i'm planning on competing locally in SM2 SCCA Autocross- I know, I know, hassle me about the tortured rule interpretations. I've talked to nationals, and I think I'm in the right... mostly.)
    GET IT ON THE ROAD!!!

Of course, all the while, the Opel is licensed and ensured. I was going to take it off the insurance, but it's currently still called my daily driver, and switching to my other car as a daily driver (a Subaru WRX) makes the insurance a LOT more expensive than a 1970 Buick Other (which is what the Opel is insured as).

Well there it is. That's me. I'll be needing your guys' help this season for sure!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just wanted to say "Welcome", even if you're not a purist... ...j/k.

I too drive a WRX and have a 73gt.

Just curious, what flares did you do? Oh, and pics please!
    Jay

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ditto on the "Welcome". I'm also in the process of putting a 3.4 V-6 in my GT along with a T-5. I'd be interested in the rear-end you're putting in your car, just in case the shortened drive shaft I've got fails, which seems to be the prevailing thought. All the mods I've done so far are in my journal, my photo gallery and in the download sections under tech files. The info there may be helpful. Right now I'm on hold waiting for an exhaust system, it will be unusual to say the least, and I hope, worth the wait. Again welcome to the list and do post pics of your project, many will be interested and some can definately help with sound advice.

Ron

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

a couple of pics as requested

see 2 pics - BTW the flares are the Stienmetz flares from OGTS. The engine is a 3.4V6 from a '93 camaro with a Crower PN 03042 performance cam and a little head work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

engine pic

3.4LV6
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    I noticed you have the Fiero headers on your engine. Did you check them carefully for cracks? And did you clean out inside the flanges where one tube slides inside the other? I got a pair of those off e-bay and they were both cracked almost in half, from what I've been told that is a common malady. I was able to use them as a pattern for custom manifolds that are being built locally. I've been told I'll have one manifold done by Christmas. I guess for the price and quality the wait will be worth it. The guy doing the manifolds told me this evening he makes more on the cars he has on the lifts than he is making on the manifolds for me. I couldn't bribe him to get them done any faster, so I'll have to wait. BTW are you using the stock computer system for the engine or going to an aftermarket setup? Just curious.

Ron

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Stock computer is what I have to start with - seeing as how the price was right at the local u-pull-it. I'll just see how well that works first. If the stock computer won't cut it, my first direction is probably to use aftermarket ignition (electromotive maybe? dunno which) and I have a buddy with a megasquirt already put together he was going to use on his 'locost' super 7 clone, but ended up just slapping a carb on it and going. I can likely just have the megasquirt in exchange for a batch of homebrewed beer.

I looked the fiero exhaust over as best I could, and visually they look OK, and pretty clean. The engine hasn't been fired since I got it put back together, (obviously) so I really have no idea if the manifolds are going to leak or not. Of course, as far as this project has crept already, what's tagging on custom header fabrication to the to-do list? The way the exhaust is going to be routed is going to look like a dern snake's nest anyway- there's going to be an awful lot of custom exhaust work just getting the pipes to the tail end... or maybe slightly less work just going to sidepipes - which would look cooler IMHO, and hide those goofy looking jacking points. (I'm not allowed to use sideskirts or spoilers in the SM2 class, and I'm trying to avoid any blatent rule violations).

I'm sure I could likely get my money back out of the Fiero exhaust on e-bay if I need to- they seem to be pretty hot commodoties there. Do you think I would be better off to just fab my own headers? It might make the exhaust routing slightly less complicated too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you fire up the engine at all when you first got it? or did you just do the mods and wait for the rest of it to come together? One of the first things I did was to make sure the engine ran before I did anything on the car. Check out "My Journal" for Phase I of my mod. It may give you some insight of the problems I had and may help you in bypassing some of the problems I had. The Fiero folks modified the headers by grinding out the inner pipe that runs past the header flanges and restricts the flow into the log manifold. You may want to look inside the flanges, if you see the innner pipe, you can use a rotary file and a drill motor to remove it and get better exhaust flow. I should have one of the manifolds done before Christmas, after I check it out and clean it up a little, I'll put a pic of it on the list. Basically the manifold will run from the back to the front of the engine, down and back to the rear of the car. I've got to get some mandrel bent sections to go over the axle and exit at the rear cut-outs. BTW, the primary tubes are 1 1/2 inch going to 2 1/2" at the front of the engine and all the way back. A major concern will be to find small 2 1/2 mufflers that will give me ground clearance.

Ron

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I talked to the junkyard guy who had the engine (he came on recommendation from a friend I trust). It supposedly 'ran good' when in the camaro, which only had 60k on the ODO, so I had no reason to doubt him. Camaro had been t-boned hard, but the engine compartment looked to be in pretty good shape. He already had the engine removed when I got there to pick it up, so I have never personally heard this motor run. When I was doing the mods on the motor I had it torn down, and there was a good deal of carbon build-up on the pistons and on the valves, which I cleaned off while I was in there. I also replaced the main bearings, new head gaskets, head bolts, just for the education of it and because I was there. This is my first real automotive project of this scope, so I'm really learning as I go. I've got a Camaro Haynes manual, which helps, and I'm keeping everything torqued according to the book.

Short - answer - I've never heard this engine run, but I have turned it over several times with the starter- both with the heads off and after reassembled. - checking the valve movement. I've not checked compression on it only because the one-way valve part of my pressure gauge broke and I've just not tested it.

Do you think I should have reason to seriously suspect this motor?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The motor with only 60K is just broken in so if there are no wierd noises coming from it during rotation, it should be O.K. The reason for asking if you had run the engine was if you do not have the theft deterrant module, the engine will turn over but will not start. My reason for you to read the Phase I of my mod progress. Also the fuel line drawing in the manuals, both chiltons and haynes are backwards. The larger line is fuel pressure and the smaller is fuel rail pressure bypass back to the tank. Both lines on my engine will have to be cut and relocated because my engine is real close to the firewall. And with the exhaust system I'm having built, I won't need as much clearance in the footwell area, so I will be able to close it up more than I thought initially. Keep us advised on howgozit with your car.

Ron

Thread Information