Longtime Opel pervert new to site. Ascona B rally car.
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Longtime Opel pervert new to site. Ascona B rally car.

Real Name
    Dave Clark
    Downloads
    Uploads

Longtime Opel pervert new to site. Ascona B rally car.

Hello to all! I just found this site but I've been into Opels since college. I bought my first Opel, a 1974 Manta, in 1985. I built it into an SCCA Rally car in 1987.
    In Jan. 1988 I bought a 1979 Ascona B Group A rally car that was brought over here for the 1984 Carson City International Rally by a couple of British guys. Jerry Hines, organizer of the AlCan 5000 rally helped import the car and wound up with it. He rented it out for local rallies and most notably the '85 Olympus International and '86 Olympus WRC rallies. It's got a bit of notable history as it was the last Opel Ascona ever to compete in a World Championship Rally ('86 Olympus was the last event the homologation was valid for.) It didn't finish that event as the rear wheel studs sheared and the wheel came off.

Here's a photo of it: http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbumPh...956&image_id=0

I bought the car in Jan. '88 in the same condition it was in at the end of the '86 Olympus. In fact, the rear wheel was through bolted to the axle flange, the caliper was tie wrapped to the axle (right underneath the bump stop!) and the brake rotor wa in the trunk. I got a sweet deal on the car, actually, $2300 including all the Panasports. I rallied the car for a couple of years then rolled it.
    I pounded it out a bit and did a couple of more events then bought a Dodge Omni Turbo rally car while I waited for parts. I was actually pretty successful in the Omni. Eventually a friend of mine was over in Sweden and cut a quarter panel off a car in a wrecking yard and sent me over a bunch of parts. I fixed the body and did a few evnts in 1994. The car has been dormant ever since but now I am bringing it back to life again! It's getting a full restoration and I will again rally it in Group 2 and Historic class.
    I'm redoing the 2.0 liter rally motor so stay tuned for updates on that.
    I've cut the old rollcage out and will be redoing that. It was an old bolt in Matter cage and way out of date for todays rules. By the way, I make my living building race and rally cars and I specialize in building rollcages for Porsches, Corvettes, rallycars, etc. I have built several national and divisional championship winning rally cars.

I'll give updates on the whole rebuild of the car, if anybody's interested, posted to the appropriate forums. This ain't happening overnight, though. Paying customers come first but I am working on it in my spare time. I can't wait to get the Oldpile going again, it's a blast to drive! The handling is so much better than the A chassis cars.

If anyone is interested in the specs of my car I can post that, too.

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself to the board. Though some people might be interested in a B chassis car here in the states.

I've got a web album up with pictures of it and my old Manta rally car and my '75 Sportwagon which I wish I still had. I'll add more images in the future. At this link:
    http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.a...lbum_id=165956

-Dave Clark

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave Clark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a picture of the car from 1988, before I installed the Ascona 400 bodykit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Dave Clark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With the Ascona 400 bodykit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave Clark
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This, of course, is where my profile name came from.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome aboard. There are some other racers here, so you have some good company. Then of course, you have us reg working stiffs that just like our metal babies and treat them as such (mostly ).
    Barry

Thread Information