Opel back on the street
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Opel back on the street

Downloads
    Uploads

CoolOpel back on the street

Just wanted everyone to know that another Opel GT is back on the street again after being stored away for over a decade. Its a 70 GT with a 72 rear end. A 2.2 engine. DGAS carb. Many of the suspension pieces have been replaced. Etc.

I grew up with at least one (but as many as four) Opels in the drive. Our family was addicted to them. When I was 15 or so my brother bought an Opel GT. A local tech school did the body work and they claimed that they removed all the rust. Well, not true. My brother found rusted area all over the car that had just been touched up. He took the whole car down to metal, sent the engine off to be upgraded to a 2.2 and then spent several years trying to put it back together.

After 5 years or so he gave the nearly completed car to my father as a gift. My father took a little bit of time and got the car back in running order, and then started to update it. Well, my father is getting a little too old to fiddle with cars (like there is such an age), so he sold the car to me.

On Friday I took it out into the hills and pounded on the car pretty hard. Man, is it a fun little car. And on Sunday we towed it 4 hours to my place in Columbus, Ohio. (if there are any other Columbus Opel owners, give me a yell). Well, today I took the car to get registered and noticed that I had to step on the brakes several times to build up pressure. It turns out that there is a problem with the rear left brake. I found brake fluid all over the inside of the tire, and it ended up emptying brake fluid reservoir. Well, I never made it to get the car registered, but I did have several people come over to my car when I was inspecting the breaks to give me complements about the car (even though it has several new rust spots from sitting so long).

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Vickie and Allen Gage
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ohio Opelers

Congratulations on getting another Opel back on the road. We are not in Columbus, but we are Ohio Opelers. We are just outside of Akron.

We have a Northeastern Ohio/Western PA Opel group that gets together once every fews months. In the winter we talk cars and show pictures, in better weather we bring our cars. So far we have had up to five running Opels here and would be glad to have you join us.

Vickie & Allen Gage
    7 Opel GT's

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the invite!! I'd love to come. I just need to be sure that the Opel will make it there and back again ;-)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

cincinnati

hey im from cincinnati anyone and cincinnati people out there hit me up. im in the process of resoring my 70 gt. just a 20 year old college student so i got time but i dont wanna wait a decade lol

Real Name
    Gregg
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just bought my opel about 4 months ago and had to trailer it home from PA. I'm glad to report it is a solid driver now. I about 50 miles East of Cincinnati in Hillsboro, Ohio. Looks like we're building toward a big Ohio meet this year. How big is that yard again?
    I call her Laticia, Costs more than she's worth, but what a set of headlights!

Downloads
    Uploads
    ........a big Ohio meet huh? I'm originally from Cincinnati....hmmm, wonder if mine would make it back there..............nah.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Washout, where is the meet usually held, and about how many people show up on average? Congrads on getting your car up and running so quickly.

slknick72, let me know if you need any help. I'm not the best mechanic, but my family has been around Opels for the past 30 years. I also have the GT/Kadet and Manta manuals. If you need any chapters out of them, just let me know and Ill send you a PDF.

Real Name
    Vickie and Allen Gage
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ohio Meets

The BIG meet for all Opelers, of course, is in October for Opels Across America. For the past two years we have had a meet on that day at our home in Tallmadge, OH. We plan to have one again in '04. We have had about 6 running Opels attend (and yes there is a lot more room in the backyard).

Most of us from this group also attend Carlisle in May (yes we drive our Opels and have caravaned). In addition we usually invite people two more times throughout the year. In Jan or Feb just to get together and show pictures, do tech talk and work on smaller items if someone wants to bring a project (e.g., brakes, front rack) Then we also have a get together in July, with cars and picnic.

So, get your Opels ready for the drive now. We aren't that far away.

Vickie & Allen

Opeling since 1991!
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prepare to add one more to that list.

Syracuse Nationals http://sn.rightcoastcars.com

This coming July 16-18, 1979 and Older - Car or Truck

I hope to see 30 Opels show and make a statement this year. My planning starts next week.
    Excelsior
    My Opel is your McLaren F1 street car!

Thread Information