opels in Indiana
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: opels in Indiana

Real Name
    Paul Tipton
    Downloads
    Uploads

opels in Indiana

opelers in Indiana, How about replying if you live close to Indiana, Would like to find other opelers close for get togeathers or what ever, Just getting back into opel's I have had 4 total, Two new ones and two used ones, Love these little cars. I have owned a 69 gt and a 70 gt that i bought new then a 72 used one vary used. Now I have a 69 and am starting to restore,kind a anyway. Get back

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opelholic
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Up here in the Northwest corner of the state. Got your windshield.

Jim

Real Name
    Randall Stirm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi there,

Glad to see another Opel lover nearby. I live in Brookston, Indiana near West Lafayette. I restored my first '71 Opel GT in 1979. I sold it in '89 and bought another GT (a '70 with 77,000 original miles) in '97. I have completed a complete engine rebuild (had broken compression rings) and a cosmetic restore. When I bought the '70, it was not running due to an electrical problem which I fixed, but soon discovered that it had serious mechanical problems due to abuse from previous owner! It was repainted in black from the original yellow color. I am keeping it black although it is not my favorite color. BTW, I know the fella you talked to that has the three GT's near I-65. Please get I hold of me at [email protected]. I love Opels and want to stick with them for a long time. Including parts cars, I have owned a GT from all of the years, 69-73, plus one '72 Manta (I would like to own another one someday). Currently have a '72 GT part car that is very rusty but may be restorable. This GT forum has been very helpful to me; keep up the good work (posts and replies) and thanks to Gary. My number is in the book for Brookston. Give me a call.

Randy S.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    I live down here in southern IL. I would be up for a road trip this summer, as long as you are not too close to Gary ( the city not the moderator )

Downloads
    Uploads

ILLinois

i live in ILLinois, i live about 30 mins away from terrahaute. and about 2 1/2 hours away from you... If any one would like to come see my 1971 opel gt this summer, your welcome too. and maybe you can help me with some dirty work to be done on it too.. lol... need all the help i can get....

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

got one in pieces in Evansville

If I ever manage to get my V6 project together I'd be game for a gathering.... I'm in Evansville..

BTW- I understand Dennis Gage (host of 'My Classic Car') is working on an Opel for his son right now. (He's also from the Evansville area). I've shared some email with him - now wouldn't it be cool if we could get an Opel on his show?

Real Name
    Paul Tipton
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, Getting a lot of response,Keep it up. By the way this little town I live in has a big car show in aug, Lot of people show up if it is not raining,but i never see a opel here, Maybe this year, I know i will be here with mine. I think last year over 200 cars showed up

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another Hoosier Opeler

Got a '73 GT about a couple months ago. Had a '70 GT back in the day, but
    it met with an ugly end when it got T-boned in an intersection
    The '73 needs some TLC, but it is mostly all there. Still a lot of fun to drive.
    Looking forward to meeting some of you guys at the the next gathering.
    Ron (in Indianapolis)

Downloads
    Uploads

Just Down The Road

I'm just south of you in Lebanon. I pass Colfax eveyday on my way into work. I have a '69 GT that I finished restoring about 5 years ago. My current project is to bore and stroke a 1.9 to 2.2. I now have all the parts, the machine work is done and starting to assemble. Venolia 10:1 pistons, Crower custom rods, offset ground crank and the big valve head from TSGI (before he went into hiding). Now the trick is to put it together right! If you find yourself down my way let me know. I'd be interested in the car show. Typically, all you see is muscle at these Central Indiana car shows. Be nice to show up in force and make a statement.
    Last edited by Propmark; 04-16-2004 at 09:20 PM.
    Kevin
    '69 GT

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs upWho's your Opel driver...

Sorry, but the pun 'Hoosier Opel Driver' was one I couldn't resist...I suppose anyone not located near the midwestern states of Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, etc., probably won't connect with my poor attempt at humor.

I'm located south of Indianapolis, and divide my time between Columbus and Nashville. I cut my teeth (and probably a few notches in first and second gear) learning to drive back in the early 70's on Dad's GT. Call it his mid-life crisis twice over.

Still have the 1970 Kadett I drove in college, and have added a '70 GT of my own as well as a '71 Caravan in the old Kadett 'B' body style. The Caravan is in the midst of a resto/mod, with the engine out and the body waiting for a mild case of rust repair. Nothing the ol' welder, etc., can't handle. Plans include adding wheel flares purchased from OGTS a few years back, and weighing the option of installing a 2.4, or taking the more time-consuming route of boring, etc., the original 1.9. Progress is slow, as the cars are located a short ways out of town, and I'm not there with the regularity and frequency of most Opel buffs. Sigh...

The GT is on the back burner, so to speak - as I plan on finishing the Caravan, then re-doing the Kadett and finally the GT.

It's cool to see the response this thread has gotten, as other regions have seemed to have greater interest in our vehicles!! The depth of mechanical knowledge is also impressive, and it sounds as though several of you are already far ahead of me in the direction I want to go with my rides.
    Brian Irwin

- 2004 Suburban LT (tow vehicle 4 ski boat)
    - 1995 Ford Ranger Splash 4.0L 4x4 (tow vehicle 4 Yellowjacket)
    - 1985 Mustang GT 5.0 "the last carbed 'Tang" (tows nothin'!)
    - 1967 Bridgestone 175...hmmmm
    - 1964 Bridgestone BS7 50 cc...different
    - 1959 Yellowjacket Catalina
    - 1954 Shell Lake Sportsman
    - 1953 Austin A40 Somerset drop head (tows Shell Lake)

Thread Information