Advice
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Advice

Downloads
    Uploads

Advice

Hi,

Time for me to ask a question you guys are probably sick of answering. I'm thinking of buying a 1900 GT. I've owned a few classics in the past - mostly volks, MG + Mercedes - and have partly chosen the car based on reliablity as well as looks / appeal etc. I'll be using the car as my daily driver, and probably taking it to work 3 days a week at least.

Is the GT a suitable daily driver or does she have any inherent fragility I should be aware of? The nightmare for me is a great looking car which isn't up to that kind of use (a lot of sitting at traffic lights!).

Finally, I'm pretty tall - 6'5''. Will I have any problems with fitting in the car? I've never sat in one before and wondered what the cabin like.

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jared
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the Opels are very reliable, very few people here seem to have major trouble with them. i myself just bought a 71 GT, sat for 13 years, untouched, and with some gas in the tank and a battery, it started right up, and i've done nothing to it except brake hoses and tires, drove it all of the fall, and just now repainted and such. i'm 6'2", and theres members on here that are taller that fit into their GT fine, as well as i do.
    previousely owned 8 GTs and 1 manta.

currently own

92 25th anniversary Z28. Ttop, leather, 370CI LSx T56 swap
    407 RWHP, 391 RWTQ, 11.74 @ 121

67 chevy sportvan deluxe....next in line.

73 chevy K-10- plow truck

71 GT, 1.9 4speed

2007 chevy silverado 1500, crewcab, loaded, Canadian limited edition GFX package Daily driver

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In the 80's I drove mine on 800 mile road trips with the old points and condenser & original carburation. Never a problem. The only time I had a problem is when I drove it in the driving rain for 300 miles and stopped at a toll gate and it stalled. A quick drying of the distributer cap with a paper towel, and she fired right up and I was on my way.
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hi izzard
    if you've had mg's then you know all the pitfalls of the gt
    cooling is a problem in hot weather so no worrys in ireland
    they dont like wet weather but thats what WD 40's for
    6'5" is a bit tight but ok if its long legs short body
    im 6' long body short legs so end up reclining the seat a bit to balance it out
    1 problem i had at first was braking headlamps (old 7" sealed beam units very dim and yellowie light as with MG's ) when you flip the head lights over but a quick change to VW golf H4 units which are a straght swop and that was itplus you could see to drive @ nite
    An Eagle may fly high but a Weasel doesnt get sucked into a jet engine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Izzard,
    My husband is 6'4" and has no trouble with my GT and, in fact, was amazed that for once he had 'plenty' of leg room. On the other hand, I'm a little over 5' and am having (and have had) extra length added to the seat track so I can drive it safely and comfortably.
    The only problem I ever had with my GT was the electrical system. I've heard of other people having the same thing but in my opinion it's due more to age and neglect than anything else or a lack of attempted repair. Beyond that I drove it daily in college and had no trouble. Except finding a parking space and the size of the GT made that a great deal easier.
    Ging

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the advice guys. It's great to get some feedback as I'll probably be buying without having ever sat in the car. I haven't been able to find one here to drive or view, but I just loved the car the minute I saw it.

It'll be an import, probably from holland - there's a good guy here in Ireland with two GT's on his site. I haven't got the exact address to hand but try a Google search and look for 'Classic Cars Ireland', then 'showroom' then 'opel'.

Thanks again.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good Luck! You shouldn't have any trouble getting mechanical parts in Ireland since a lot of the engine componets are the same from the Kadetts, Manta A and Asconas. When I was over there, I picked up a starter for my GT(actually in Wales, but there were Opel dealers in Ireland) and brought it back in my carryon luggage. I got a strange look from security when it went through the X-ray machine
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Thread Information