Greetings
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Greetings

Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings

Just after I graduated from Key West High School in 1972 my dad bought a used mint 1972 Opel GT, orange in color, and he has had it ever since. In '81 he and it moved to St. Petersberg - point being exposure to salt air. Being fairly well kept the body is in great shape with running gear showing only surface rust. The Atlanta area doesn't have a rust issue so hopefully I will get many more years of enjoyment out of it.

I also own a 1981 Red on Red Corvette 4-speed (purchased used in '82) with a 'few' modifications, also in excellent shape. However lack of interest and time leaves it covered in the garage. It will be reborn after our kids finish high school to the tune of a 427 big block.

But my pride and joy is a 1995 Impala SS that I have converted over to a T56 6-speed manual transmission. Regarding this car, my everyday driver, the best question is "what haven't you done to it"? I am a founding member of GaSSIT - Georgia Super Sport Impala Team - the Greater Atlanta Impala SS club featuring 94-96 Chevrolet B-body platforms and its siblings. 5.7 V8, rear wheel drive and the end of a legendary automobile. The other 427 of the two I will build will go into this car.

I also hold a seat on the Board of Directors of ISSCA, the Impala SS Club of America and represent the B-body owners of the southeastern US. This is the national Impala club.

The Opel: I just traded my dad for this car. He got a '67 VW. It's roadworthy and drives great, but hasn't seen a heavy foot since I last drove it in 1981. The bad news is I won't be able to get it up on jacks for a full inspection for another 2 months as a work assignment I'm about to start next week will prevent me from checking it out top to bottom, stem to stern.

The good news is I will have 2 months of internet surfing and searching before I get started. More than enough time to build a vendor and parts data base.

I'm a regular on the ISSCA Forum. As this is my first post here, and as a newbie I will dedicate a fair amount of time using the search function and review what has already been posted before I start asking questions.

Needless to say I am a gearhead. I do all my own work. The 6 speed conversion in my Impala was a cakewalk; 3 days after it hit the deck I drove it round trip to an Impala convention in St. Louis with no drips, runs or errors. I'm also a licensed FAA A&P mechanic. It stays current via my day job teaching C-130J engine/prop care and feeding. Needless to say I like all things mechanical.

First items on the Opel to do list: Wheels/Tires (told dad 20 years ago to get rid of them chicken-callin factory tires but he never listened), better breathing: header and intake, and general cleaning and detailing as each area is addressed or inspected.

Look forward to your help. Generally the first statement out of my friends mouths when they see it is "you know they make a small block chevy conversion kit for that car don't you?". Not while dad is still breathing - it's a respect thing

doug

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome Doug glad to see another A & P mech here. I've got a 72 GT, doing a 60 degree V-6/T-5 swap on. Your friends are wrong, there is no kit available for Opels to put in a V-8. In fact there is no kit for any engine swap for Opels. There are a lot of extremely wise folks on this site. Some who are strictly perfect restoration buffs, some who just like to drive and maintain their cars with minor upgrades, some who go full out with body mods, some hard core racers, you name it on the cars and some one here will have done, or going to do it. With over 4 million posts, a lot of research is available. Whatever you want to do, start on the forum search box and you'll find all the system and subsystems with posts on all. Welcome aboard, used to be stationed where the Spectre was based during the SEA war games. Oh yeah, had a 62 Impala 2dr hdtp with the 283 and PowerSlide.

Ron

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Doug;
    Greetings from east of the "Big Rock" (St Mtn) I have been into Opels for over 25+ years and I'm still learning, mostly from this site. I was at the Commerce Dragway a few years back and the SS club was there. It was the year the rocket car blew up on the strip. But, if you're ever out Snellville way, drop in
    Gene
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opel Junkie
    Downloads
    Uploads
    cool...another a&p. i own my own shop here in kc, and i have a 72 that i plan on keeping as stock as possible, with exception to a weber and pertronix. i am even getting rid of the cragar ss's that came with my car in favor of the stock 72 rims. crazy? nah...just like the way the opel looks the way it was born.

welcome to a great opel site...the help here is second to none. i have always been able to find any answer with these guys' help. hope it works as well for you. good luck.

mike
    GM products are not Opels!

Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads

lost friend

fyi:little of subject..but this is breaking news for an opeler in Gardner...

my buddy said he saw a yellow gold opel gt at the Cowden ?
    salvage yard on hi ghway 56 ,south of gardner..on the way to Edgerton.. have you checked it out?

let us know if it has an engine,etc..take a photo if you can ..
    thanks
    Celeste: 1917cc ,Getrag ,Big valves,ported,ISKY cam on solids,Opel forged rods,9.52 compression,total seal gapless,oil dam,RB gasket mod., DCOE side drafts,sprint,pertronix,SACHS clutch,OGTS & Kadette sway bars,no oil leaks. Big brakes. Avatars Photos Carlisle 2010 by Jennie V.Thank you's to Bruce Butler and Gabe Sanchez

Driven twice to Carlisle 2,351 miles RT successfully, broke down on first trip

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike, do you have a photo of those Cragars? If you do, could you send a pic or two to [email protected]? What are spec numbers on the rims? Being cherry I don't know the bolt pattern or stud sizes; 13" is the best I can do right now with 165s on the fronts and 175s on the back [a little fatter rubber is #1 on the list just above rims].

I'll be doing a lot of surfing and note taking while on the north side of the Med for the next couple months.

doug

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Doug;
    Opels are 4 X 100mm, the studs are 12mm X 1.5 pitch
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Opel Junkie
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yes, bucky, i did see an opel at that junk yard, but it has been a while. it was one of the first cars in after they had all of the junkers taken out. i don't know anything about it, but i will try to find a number and call about it.

i will let you know what i find out.

mike
    GM products are not Opels!

Thread Information