Brand New Enthusiast
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Brand New Enthusiast

Downloads
    Uploads

TalkingBrand New Enthusiast

Hi, Im a sixteen year old obsessed with the Opel GT. I ran into this car at a show a year ago and I am looking to buy one. I have been saving for a while and hopefully I will have enough by the end of the summer. I am looking for a GT in good enough condition so that I can drive it pretty much daily. From what I have read this is pretty do-able. I have had some trouble lately finding a website that lists the differences between years and engine information. I am also curious about insurance information. Im guessing that the car wouldnt cost much to insure because of its age. Any help or advice would be greatly apreciated and needed. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    First thing your insurance agent will ask you is how much the car is worth. Basically, when dealing with an older car such as this, it'll depend on how much you want to insure it for as to what the premium will be.

At your age, it'll definitely be a tad more than just about everyone else regardless of what you value the car out at. Good luck with it, I hope you get a good rate.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the family Nmr,

Unfortunately, insurance companies love young drivers. I wish you the best in your search for your GT. You've come to the right place to get info.

Take care and have fun

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The definitive guide to Opel GT's can be found at:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/oana/library.html

under the link "Opel GT Identification Reference"

As for insurance, one key issue (other than the outrageous cost to insure a single male driver under 25) will be the value of the car. Look at the same page, this time under "Opel Value and Appraisal Guide"

HTH
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks everyone for the replies...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey-
    Welcome to the sickness...

Where is River Ridge? A friend of mine is stationed at Ft. Polk and has info on two GTs in western LA that may be for sale.
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

Downloads
    Uploads
    River Ridge is 15 miles away from New Orleans... Fort Polk is across the river not too far away from where I live. Id love to find a local car in good condition. Honestly I would love to take a look at any car but am really intrested in a car that would be able to be a daily driver. If you could give me some information of how I might reach him that would be great.

Opel fan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome Nmr, a big question concerning your hunt for a GT would be how much auto work can you do or how much are you willing to try? I just took my pickup to GoodYear for a front end alignment, they told me my front wheel bearings were wore out and that they would replace them for me at 149.00 a side. The cost of the inner and outer wheel bearings for both sides along with the oils seals from a local parts store was 35$ and some change. My point is that some of this stuff you may need to do to an Opel can get expensive if you have to have it all done for you. If you can do it yourself , you can get one that needs some work making it easier to find vs one that is more turn key, more expensive and more difficult to find. Good luck on your hunt, we all understand how you feel about these cars. It's calles Opelitus, its a disease, and we all got it! BTW, most insurance companies dont consider the GT a sports car, at least State Farm doesn't.
    Jim B.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome NMR, as an Opel GT owner in Carriere, Ms I can tell you that finding a local GT is gonna be tough although they do exist. I myself tried to get a second one from a seller in Slidell just last week but it was gone the same day the ad was placed. Same thing happened to me about 3 yrs ago too. A few years back I spotted one for sale on a lawn out near Fort Polk but that was before I decided to get one so western La might be a place to check too.
    Not sure where they are but I know where they are'nt and thats on the road. Short of having to travel to get one the best I can say is be patient and keep your eyes open. Ask around, your best chance is gonna be finding one sitting in a yard somewhere.
    Good Luck

Roger

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome! Great to see another Opel person in the N.O. area. I live in Covington, across the lake. There is another owner in Metairie. I've been told there are 2 GT's in a barn in Belle Chasse, but haven't been able to varify it.

Maybe we can start our own car show soon......

James

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not a bad idea James, don't know how many Opels show up at 'cruisin the coast' but right now I plan on making it this year.
    They also seem to be having a classic car show at the Harley Davidson Dealership in Slidell the last couple of years, might also be a good place to show up.
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

TalkingThanks

As to the question about how much I am willing to repair, honetsly I dont have the tools or the means to do anything really serious but I am buying this car so that not only will it give me a great ride and something to talk about but that I may experience up keep and minor restoration. I m in no rush to buy a the car anytime soon basically because I will be paying for EVERYTHING, money is tight in my family and I have been working since i was 15 to buy a car. It will take me a while to allocate enough funds to purchase a decent car. As for the traveling to purchase a car, I m not worried about a car being out of state... if its worth the drive to pick up a nice car for a good price its worth the trouble, it doesn't seem like there is too much room to be picky! Thanks everyone for the information and if there is any way that I would be able to get more information on those cars in Belle Chase that would be great. Im curious what yall's opionon is on what condition a car priced around 4-3500 dollars would be?? Im guessing a level3?? Thanks everyone... I have learned so much from this website in such a little time.

Real Name
    Jared
    Downloads
    Uploads
    a 3,500 to 4,000 dollar GT would probably bee a pretty nice car. a car worthy of being driven daily in mechanical tip top shape. should have pretty nice paint and presentable interior, another words you wouldn't feel out of place taking it to local car shows in your home town or taking it out in parades, should be a sweet car for that kind of money.
    previousely owned 8 GTs and 1 manta.

currently own

92 25th anniversary Z28. Ttop, leather, 370CI LSx T56 swap
    407 RWHP, 391 RWTQ, 11.74 @ 121

67 chevy sportvan deluxe....next in line.

73 chevy K-10- plow truck

71 GT, 1.9 4speed

2007 chevy silverado 1500, crewcab, loaded, Canadian limited edition GFX package Daily driver

Downloads
    Uploads

TalkingThanks Jared

From my research that is what I was guessing....

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    still looking for a GT? Saw a 72 GT with auto transmission for sale in Slidell advertised in NOLA for $850, supposedly runs and is most likely the same vehicle I missed out on last month. If it is the PO told me it was in pretty good shape. Unfortunately I just bought my next project car (an rx-7) after I finished restoring my 73 GT and my better half would most likely give me that special look of hers if I tried to get this one.

Roger

Thread Information