A 20 Year Dream Realized
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: A 20 Year Dream Realized

Downloads
    Uploads

A 20 Year Dream Realized

Hi Board,

My name is Jim and I just wanted to introduce myself to the club. Just this weekend, I realized a 20 year dream by purchasing a 1970 GT. My first car was a 1974 AMC Hornet which was given to me when I was 16, but the first car I ever bought with my own money was a 1973 Opel GT. I was 19 and I loved that car. I don't have to tell you about the appeal of the GT. However, as situations arose, I had to sell it a year and a half later. A year and a half or so after that, I bought another 73 GT. Both of these I had hoped to fix up (they didn't need "restoring" at the time, just basic fixing up) but it just wasn't to be as the secong GT's engine blew up and I couldn't get it fixed nor could I afford to have it moved, so I basically abandoned it in Virginia Beach (one of you out there got a hold of a great car, at least as far as the body was concerned). So for 20 years, since that first GT, I have pined away for the car of my youth.

Well, I have finally come to a stable point in my life where I own a house with a garage (that I purchased two years ago specifically with the owning of an Opel GT in mind), and where I have a new reliable Toyota Corolla as a primary vehicle, so I decided to get another GT. I drove to Augusta, GA. with my dad and drove back to Tallahassee, FL. with a yello 70 GT which I purchased for $1100. The guy I bought it from was the second owner who himself had the car for 24 years! The engine was rebuilt 27K ago and it runs like a dream. That 6 and a half hour drive was the most fun I had driving a car ever in my life. Just some 2 and 4 lane country roads with hardly any traffic on them, the weather being sunny and 81 degrees, the windows rolled down and the car humming along, heads turning to look at it all along the way. The car does have some trouble spots as corrosion goes (battery tray, belly pan, et. al.), but that will be part of the fun of restoring it.

Anyway, thanks for reading this and hope to get to discuss many things with you all as the occassion arises. Like I said, this has been a 20 year dream and I just wanted to share it with fellow Opellers. This is so great that this website even exists (we didn't have this 20 years ago) and that it provides all the resources it does. Keep up the excellent work. As you can see, I have been a member of this site for almost a year, waiting for the right car to come along. It finally did.

Jim Gore.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads

website

I was in your shoes 10 months ago.

This website and the the guys who run it .......ROCK.

We hope you post questions.

May the power of the opel be with you!
    Celeste: 1917cc ,Getrag ,Big valves,ported,ISKY cam on solids,Opel forged rods,9.52 compression,total seal gapless,oil dam,RB gasket mod., DCOE side drafts,sprint,pertronix,SACHS clutch,OGTS & Kadette sway bars,no oil leaks. Big brakes. Avatars Photos Carlisle 2010 by Jennie V.Thank you's to Bruce Butler and Gabe Sanchez

Driven twice to Carlisle 2,351 miles RT successfully, broke down on first trip

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like you got a good buy! I'd much rather have a prime engine car w/ rust than the other way around. Opps! Where's my manners! Welcome! and hope you enjoy your dream. No one here minds having "Opelitis", so enjoy the sickness!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the welcome! I think I got a great deal with the car. The brakes (rotors, master cylinder, lines) are all new. The starter is new, the water and fuel pumps are new, and it has a new(er) Webber Carb which needs a little adjusting, but still.... The guy really took care of the car as far as the mechanical side is concerned. Interestingly, the reason he had to sell it was that they had one too many cars on their insurance, and they have a son who will be going to college. The college is Florida State, right here in Tallahassee. So, when they come to visit their son, they are going to come visit the car. They had it 24 years, so I kind of feel like they are in-laws.

Well, I'm going to get back to surfing the site. I don't want to ask any questions that might already be answered somewhere else. Thanks again and we'll be talking soon.

Jim.

Thread Information