New mantiac in S.W. Wisconsin
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New mantiac in S.W. Wisconsin

Downloads
    Uploads

WinkNew mantiac in S.W. Wisconsin

Hi Gang
    I'm looking at two 1973 Opel Mantas One is local with 31K org. miles The car is in very nice shape, Little to no rust. Could someone give me an ideal what a good purchase price might be.
    The other is a southern car witch also seems to be in very nice shape with 50k on it. Are there areas for rust or other tell tale signs of expenses that I should be looking for???
    Thank you for your support---I look forward to working with this great group of OPEL NUTS Tx again Japslapy

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A common place for rust is the battery box and frame rails(jacking points) and the front and rear fenders behind the wheels.
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, there aren't any Opel Nuts here, that's for wimps, we're all full-grown Opel-holics here!!
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks BQS4

Thanks BQS4
    That's a NICE way to Welcome someone NEW to this forum!!
    I Hope there's some helpful support in this group?
    Tx Again

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    japslapy;
    You can either post a question, or do a thread search. The search feature of this site is excellent. So ask away!

Downloads
    Uploads
    This site has a wealth of knowledge that is very helpful...As BQS4 said the search feature on this site is pretty damn good.
    Nice to see someone in the midwest, was thinking I had the only Opel here.
    Where in Wisconsin are you? Im in St. Paul!

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome!

Howdy! As you can see from my screen name, I have a '73 Manta and am also located in Wisconsin (near Milwaukee). As for things to look for, rust is sometimes found in the battery tray area, around the jacking points, rocker panels, and the lower rear fender areas.

As for value, I don't know "current" values, but I can describe mine. My Manta came from Oregon and is solid except for the battery tray area (no doubt the result of a leaky battery at one point). It has the original paint but 2 small dents. I bought it off eBay about 2 years ago and had it shipped. It runs fine, and the interior is OK but needs carpet and a few little trim bits. It has the automatic tranny, although I was looking for a manual. This one is Antique Bronze, the same color as the '72 Manta I learned to drive on in high school, so I jumped in. I paid around $850 for it, (plus around $700 to have it shipped!), and had a blast driving it to my 20 year high school reunion!

There is a small group of Opel enthusiasts who meet in the Milwaukee area on a periodic basis, and I'll forward info to you as the next event dates are established.

Downloads
    Uploads

Prairie du Chien

Thanks for the reply.
    The 73 manta I'm looking at has 30k and is all Org. The body is rust free everything looks perfect. Motor has a little wet spot near what looks like the front seal. The interior has normal wear for a car of this age. Small tear in the drives seat and sun dryed back shelf.The owner has several GT's He is asking over 4k. Does anyone have any response?-- does that seem fair? I love the car it is awesome.
    I live near Prairie du Chien along the mighty Mis. Have lived in the area for 15 yrs. Org. from the Chi-town area. As a kid could have sworn my grandmother had a caddet, or manta back then,but of course no one can remember. Tx for the help Jap.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    4K seems a little high but if it is in pristine condition and you want it, see if he will negociate(sp).

Back in 83 my GT was going for 2K. I offered 1500 and a week later I got it.

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Japslapy;
    Is he wanting $4K for both cars, or just the one? If just the one, it had better be like showroom for that price, and I do mean "showroom". There's a member in TX that has a $4K Manta and it is definitely showroom.

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's what a $4k Manta looks like...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads

Great Manta!

Hey BQS4
    Thanks for that Photo!!! Do you know if that car (pic) has been repainted??? The car I'm looking is all Org. Does that make a Dif?
    You guys out there seem to know your Smiht. This car has one small dent (Half dollar size) under front bumper The paint is in nice cond. Body as far as I can see is total rust free. Again for a car 31yrs old it's SWEET I appreciate all your kno-how an hope to one day have your exp. TX Jap

Thanks to jlthunder also

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Japslapy;
    That yellow Manta is a low mileage (less than 50K original) 75 Manta. the current owner is the second owner of the car and probably will remain that way. The paint is all original, never been touched, other than to keep it glowing like it is. The interior is like showroom, same for the trunk and engine compartment.

Member 1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Japslapy,

You will need to make a VERY close inspection of the rust in the area around the battery box. The Opel designers made a MAJOR mistake putting the battery on the firewall DIRECTLY over the fuse box. It is quite common for battery leakage to eat into the battery box and begin eating away at the copper connections and terminals in the fuse box. Most, if not all, of the electrical problems are related to this problem. Also, this corrosion will extend into the frame rail and the driver's side front jack point. You will need to pull the carpet back and carfully examine for rust.

Price of the car is obviously dependant upon condition. However, desirability can be affected by options. Is the Manta you are looking at a Ralley or a Luxus or the base model? Does it have the Ralley gauges and Tach? What type of wheels? Etc...

The Solex carb is what originally came with the car, but to many a Weber carb is more desirable.

Are the tires some cheap brand, skinny, dry rotted 165/80-13s or are they decent, wider 185/70-13s? Whats the condition of the brake system? Are all of the belts and hoses NEW? Is the muffler rotted out?

All of these things should have an effect on the price. Unfortunately, Mantas are not prime collector cars. Just because you found an original, low milage car doesn't automatically command a high price, if the condition of all of the systems isn't fresh.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mantas! I hope you find one you want. I hope you buy this one actually. I just didn't want someone who is overly proud of their NON-dirven car to keep you from purchasing it at a reasonable price and displaying proudly on the road.

GL
    Paul

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Paul

Hey Paul
    Thanks for the info!!!! I have not driven the car yet it was in storage when I first looked at it the lighting was low. I did have a flashlight and checked alot of stuff out. I will inspect the areas that you mentioned on the next inspec. The body is a luxus with an automatic. Don't remember if there was a tach or not ---don't think so. The owner has yoko tires with vega sport rims. Very sharp!! he also has Org rims. on first inspec. could not find any rust what so ever. I will also bring a magnet with me to check metal. the car shows no sign of overspray or ripples down the sightline of the car. I had no idea that these cars are so cool looking. Thanks again for the battery box info!!!
    Jap
    BQS4
    THe 75 is BEAUTIFUL. I didn't know that was a color available. Any idea what the car is worth??? Thanks for the example

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Japslapy;
    If you can go see the car again, in the day light, take a digital camera with you and get pictures to post. Also, if it's a Luxus model, it won't have a tach, but, it will have a large cock where the tach is supposed to go. If there's a tach, then the dash has been fooled with. Also being a Luxus, it might have a sunroof.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know if they did this for the year you are looking at, but in addition to the clock, the '74 Luxus had a 1"(approx)fake piece of wood on each door at the door lock. It ran the entire length of the door, front to back. The seats were caudoroy(red or blue depending on exterior color) instead of fake leather(vinyl). On the fenders and trunk lid, it had "Luxus" badges below/next to the "Manta" emblems.

Downloads
    Uploads

TalkingGreat day

Hey guys
    Going to drive the car today!!!!! Will take pics and try to post them?????
    It is a luxus and I believe it has the fake wood trim on the door. It did have the cordaroy seats and the embloms. Can't wait to cruise this baby!!! It is a dark maroon color? The tires have been up greated to some sport rims from a vega I think with performance tires. Wish me luck Tx again for your INFO Jap

Downloads
    Uploads
    i am in sheboygan wisconsin. i am also new here with my gt i just bought after trying for the last 5 or 6 years of begging.

Downloads
    Uploads

Pic

Well Guys
    Here she is----Would like some input of what you think? This is my first Opel And feel it a good way to get started. Tx Jap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by japslapy; 04-16-2004 at 10:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information