NOW The fun starts
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: NOW The fun starts

Downloads
    Uploads

TalkingNOW The fun starts

Well I am the new owner of a 73 GT !!

It is a long story how I got it, the start of witch is in my other posting "https://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292 (Where is Chuck...)". Note to Gary (and other Mods) I started this thread because it is the begining of the restoration of the 73 GT.

Chuck made me such a deal when I saw him a year ago I could not turn it down. I picked up the GT and ALL of his parts for the GT that he had (and that was a lot stuff it was all in a barn). I did not have the cash or the space a year ago but I do now (granted I will have to park my daily car, 1500 Dodge Ram, outside but that is OK). During the year between I saw Chuck, he sweeten the deal by offering to deliver the car and all the stuff right to my door for only $400 (550 miles from Columbus Oh to Acworth GA), what a deal !!

Well last Friday the car and all the parts were delivered!! There were a whole lot more parts than I thought there were be to the point that the car is outside (under a tarp).

Now here is my plan

1. Sort thru the parts and seprate the good stuff from the trash.
    2. Store the parts on shelves (get more shelves) {Done during sort}
    3. Sell what I do not want and keep what I need
    4. Clean out the GT (It has parts in the car)
    5. Get the car running (to see what type of mechanical work that needs to be done, eng. , transmission, supession etc)
    6. Fix the mechanical stuff
    7. Restore the car (fix body work, interior, put in A/C)

This is what I call fun!!!

Rick

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Fun!

This is what most of us call fun, Rick.

One thing not on your list is: A1) Check out the headlight wiring for cracked and deteriorated insulation and replace it first. Check the rest of the wiring out for shorts and stuffed insulation - this is vital to do before running the car as damaged wiring has burnt more than one GT.

Enjoy your new mania as much as the rest of us do enjoy ours.
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jim,

Thanks for the memory jog on that. I will add that to the list to check to do during the cleaning out phase.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

No Problem

Just something passed on to each new enthusiastic GT owner as I found the wires to my tail lights melted to the back of the fuel tank. No fire but my heart stopped when I found how badly the wires had deteriorated.
    Last edited by GTJIM; 06-27-2004 at 09:42 AM.
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Downloads
    Uploads
    One thing you gotta have for the wiring checkout, actually 2 things, a good VOM digital, Volt Ohm Meter, and the J J Wheatley, wiring diagram from DESTEC. It is a piece of art. In reality what Rallye Bob and JJ have done is PURE ART. Totally functional and beautiful to look at.

Ron

Downloads
    Uploads
    The good VOM digital, Volt Ohm Meter, I have (As a matter of fact I have a Bird).

The wiring diagram I am sure is on this site and I will get a copy of it and double check it to make sure everything is wired correctly before I try to start it up.

I will post the photos of the parts and the car when I have a little more time. I just got back from a VBS kickoff and my oldest has a broken hand (when it rains it pours!!).

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Destec wiring diagram is far superior than the diagrams in the FSM, in that, it is one large, plastic coated on both sides, easy to read, fully color coded schematic of the GT wiring harness, with notes and suggestions for improving the electrics of the GT. To give you an idea of the schematic, go to Phase IV of my engine swap in the Atricles - mechanical - engine swaps on this site. I have just loaded a pic of the Destec GT schematic and Chilton's Camaro engine computer schematics in that Phase, it should be available for viewing in a couple of days. HTH.

Ron

Last edited by namba209 (R.I.P.); 06-28-2004 at 01:34 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info on the wiring diagram. I will search this site for how to get it. I am sure the pic of the Destec GT schematic will not have the detail in it that a actual one will, so I will have to order it.

Again thanks for the info

Rick in Atlanta.

Downloads
    Uploads

The fun continues

This is a question of what should be kept when restoring a GT.

I have done my first sort, put liked parts together, and store it is some sort of order.

The next question is what parts are worth keeping, selling, or throw away. For example I have about 7+ Solex carburetors, and 2+ Solex Air cleaning units, a bushel basket size box full of various GT lights (Red, Amber, Interior, License plate, red and amber sidelights), 5 manual transmissions, bell housing for an automatic. I have 2 A/C ARA units (I will keep the units), but what about all the other A/C parts, like the compressor and the air exchanger, should I keep them or sell them, or toss them because of the change in tech (Freon).

I other words what is valuable for a Opel GT or Opels in general?

Thread Information