This is how it starts!!!
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks: †0
Likes Likes: †0
Dislikes Dislikes: †0

Thread: This is how it starts!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

ExclamationThis is how it starts!!!

The madness has started!!! I am the crew chief for an ASA Challenger Series late model stock car. At the track we call home ( aispeedway.com ) they run two classes for 4 cyl cars. My intention was to build a GT for the Quad-4 class, tight rules donít allow much wiggle room, these were to be cheap cars to build and a good place to break in a new driver. So I go to good old E-Bay to find a car to work with, I found a 69 over in MA for a good price and had full intentions on taking the gas-axe to it and making a race car. Two things happened that changed all my plans, first the car has NO rust and second the AIS did away with the class. Now the Quad-4ís have to run with the Dig Safely Mini Stocks. They donít stand a chance running in that class so the race car plan went out the window. My son said that if I cut this car up he would never speak to me again! That might be a good thing but thatís another matter. I think he wants Dad to fix up the 69 and then he would be happy to take it off my hands.
    I figure to keep peace in the family Iíll see what it will take to put the 69 back on the road. This car was said to be in storage for 19 years and I believe it. Whoever put it up did so with a tank of fuel in it so the whole system was full of varnish. I cleaned the entire system, put some clean fuel in the tank, filed and gapped the points, changed the oil, stuck in a battery, shot some ATF down the cylinders, cranked it over till fuel was at the carb and bam the damn thing started. It does smoke a little (not one mosquito left in St. Lawrence County). So it looks like the 69 will be my winter project. The good thing about the North Country of NY is that the winters are LOOOOONG and COOOOLD, and the snow gets DEEEEEP.
    I still have that urge to build a race car to run at AIS. Iím not sure if a GT could be completive in the Dig Safely class? Most of the cars are Rice Burners and a few Mustang IIís. I think a GT with a trick paint job would look good whipping up on all that Jap Scrap. There is something wrong with a car that smokes its front wheels! If any of you guys that have raced GTís care to give any insight feel free. The rules are posted on the AIS web site and while there check out our #17 car in the Challenger series. We are in third place in the points chase and if the #11 car has a DNF we will be right in the hunt for 2004 Track Champion.
    If anyone wonders where the SUBMARINER handle comes from, I was in the USN from 1963 till 1972 and served aboard Fast Attack Nuclear Powered Submarines out of San Diego. We were known as ďThe steely eyed killers, darers of the deep, healers and hackers who can go deeper and stay longerĒ!
    Bill Hansen
    Edwards, NY 13635
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SUBMARINER; 07-27-2004 at 10:49 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome!

Welcome Aboard Bill,

The GT Thing is a bit international and they are obsessed with around the world. The one you have looks good and straight - race it if you must but carefylly consider how good it actually is. The 1969 year was the first year of sale in the USA and is regarded as quite collectible - especially if the VIN is below around 17XXXXX.

Have a good look aroung this site as there are several racers who post here and some threads about race motors in particular. There is a white lettered "Search" on the top line of the page which, when clicked on opens a box in which something like "2.4 motor" or "racing" can be typed to search all the archived posts here from way back to the year 2002. Try "69 GT" as well and see what turns up. Even "305 Pistons" will turn up interesting stuff as Chevy pistons are used to over bore Opel motors. HTH
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the crew!!

Speaking as an old "Navy Brat" (My dad was on the Scorpion and got off her six months before she went down) I will have to say I knew what the handle came from. Remember there are only two types of ships - Subs (boat), and targets.

I am down in south and if you need some parts to get the GT back together drop me a line I may have something in the back room.

I will have to agree with your son on taking the axe to the car. GT with no rust on them are very rare, and in the North they are as rare as Sweet Tea.

Good Luck keep us posted.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a great winter project for father and son.

I spent nine years and a pile of cash restoring a '69 with some rust and much bad bodywork. To find one that clean east of the Rockies is quite a find. Parts, new and used, are still available to put it back to top original condition. Plus, more information and advise from this site and others then ever before.

Please check out my photo album for some insperation. Don't be put off by the nine years, I work really slow. Probably could of done the work in a quarter of the time if opelgt.com was only 15 years earlier.
    Kevin
    '69 GT

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Submariner, how is the project coming? I just saw that Jeff Denton, our resident GT Racer on this site, listed taking out subs as a previous specialty, then noticed on the front page that we had a member with the name Submariner logged in!

Small world, you guys could surly swap some stories between the subs and racing.

Anyway, Did you get the GT on the road? Does your son still talk to you?

Steve
    "ever notice you are never done tinkering with the GT?"
    Never mind, I am WAAAY beyond tinkering now...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bill, After being here inSANe DIEGO for so long, what possessed you to go to New York? Here it is almost the end of January and the temps are in the mid to high 60s. Check out the Buick Open on TV today for a look at our weather. Of course we do have the third highest cost of living here in the country, but I think it's worth it. Point Loma?, yeah I know that area fairly well, one of my my uncles lived there. That GT sure does look too good to hack up and make a race car. Get it on the road and find one that is in sad shape to build your race car. It's gonna get dinged on the track eventually, and that 69 is just too good looking, IMHO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah Steve, old Bubblehead Bill and I have been friends (thru gt.com) for several years now and we discuss our racing shenanigans often. He's been pretty quiet at this site but he's here every day looking at what's going on. The plan had been to copy my car so there would be Speedway GT West and Speedway GT East.
    I don't think the plan had ever been to cut up his 69, that I know of, right, Bill? There are tons of unrestorable ones, like mine was, that are perfect for such endeavors.
    Bill is an extremely serious stock car racer, has been involved in some pretty awesome racing in the upper, faster classes. A mini stock would be childs play for him!

Real Name
    Hallgeir BjÝrkavŚg
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bill, I noticed that your last name is Hansen. Did your family come from Scandinavia? Norway, or Denmark. It`s a very common name here. That GT looks very good and straight. How is the project coming?
    Hallgeir

Opels now:
    -69 GT 1900, -95 Omega B 2,5 V6 CD Aut. -93 Astra Bertone 2.0i convertible
    Previous Opels:
    -91 Omega A 2,0i, -85 Ascona 1,6S CC, -78 Ascona 1,9S, -81 Commodore 2,5S Berlina,
    -82 Ascona 1,6S CC, -78 Ascona 1,9S, -72 Ascona 1,6S

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/vbgoogl...4650269&zoom=5

Thread Information