Putting Farnborough, Hampshire on the Opel Map...
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Putting Farnborough, Hampshire on the Opel Map...

Downloads
    Uploads

Putting Farnborough, Hampshire on the Opel Map...

Hello Everybody,

Nice to be here. I found this forum via Goin ' Manta which I found from Manta Club Poland. It looks pretty cool here

Had a few Mantas over the last 5/6 years and now have just my V8 GTE Exclusive. It's been parked-up for nearly 2 years now so I'm desperate to get it back on the road. Most of my buddies have moved away from the Manta scene so I've been missing out on the encouragement/motivation/inspiration/community spirit thing.

Hopefully I'll get back on track and be smiling at the roar of my V8 again

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to OpelGT.com and the Classic Opel Community.

That's a nice set up in your Manta. Can you post some pictures in the Photo Gallery so we can see more details? What does it need to get it back on the road? How difficults was the Rover V-8 install?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Gary,

I have to admit I cheated on this one. I had an extremely rotten 2.2 GTE Exclusive and a Rover 3.5 V8 lump. Whilst looking for a suitable donor vehicle with decent body etc. this project came up, engine + box already fitted. Within 6 months of purchase I took a *huge* wage cut and so the Manta has been idling for 2 years.

She will need an extremely thorough pre-MOT checkover and starter motor/earthing/electrical inspection. Then I can get to work on prepping the bodywork again, in readiness for a cold, wet winter...

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    welcome aboard! Manta's Rule! get back to work on yours!
    Grins,
    calvin

Downloads
    Uploads
    A number of years ago I took a pic of a then new GTE parked in front of the Ritz in London, that is a really nice looking car so please get it running again. I have wanted one ever since and had a friend at the Frankfurt show for the unveiling who sent me pics. Please don't let it go by the way side, I can't have one so please enjoy what you have. By the way I'd love to have the head off of that one. If my memory is right the GTE was a cross flow on the CIH format. 2.2 or 2.4 I'm a bit fuzzy on, but a V8 will certainly work in it.

The Ritz is almost across from the Mercedes dealership who had a nice car in the window but my focus was on that GTE.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Calvin,

Message received and understood LOL It will be so...

nobody,

That's nice to know, your attention was in the right place outside the Ritz. This GTE is probably the best one I've had, so it's got to be looked after, and it will be.

The CiH that I've been used to (in all my old Mantas) has been the 1.9 (as used in Ascona, Manta B) and 2.0 (GTE) versions. The 2.2 is made by using the crank and con-rods from the old Vauxhall Carlton and the increased stroke makes it a 2.2. As for the 2.4 I have little knowledge. My old 2.2 had big-valve head and a sports exhaust, all good for 140BHP whereas the 2.0 CiH was 110BHP. When the exhaust fell off it went a bit quicker

However the Rover V8 (derived from a Buick lump) fits snug in the engine bay and mine's good for 193BHP but has loads more torque than the 4 cylinders - why they never put a V8 in the Manta surprises me considering it's rival in the 80s was the Ford Capri which had 2.8 and 3.0 V6 versions...