Howdy!
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Howdy!

Downloads
    Uploads

Howdy!

Hi Everybody,
    I'm a long-time car guy, but never been involved with Opels before. A friend of mine is GIVING me a 71 Kadett 1100 2dr (#31 body). The car was running 6 years ago, but has been parked since then, and has 55,000 orig miles. He had some carb trouble, but parked it to do some minor rust treatment, then his wife passed away, and so on. Now he's moving and has to downsize some. I'm trailering the car home Saturday, and was wondering if there are any things I should specifically check out in my initial inspection, other than the usual in a car that's sat that long. I was told the 1100 has steel cylinder sleeves or some such, is that accurate? I also know the brakes are shot, starting at the master cylinder.

Thanks, I look forward to being involved in the coming years

Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Howdy!

Dave;
    Welcome and Congrats!! I see you just down below Warner Robbins. Glad to see there's another GA Opeler out to add to our slowly growing list. As for the various problems with the Kadetts, i couldn't tell you, but, there are a few on this site that do have Kadetts and can give you the hints. Again, Welcome!!
    Gene
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Cunning Linguist Site Supporter tekenaar's Avatar
    Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ultraclyde
    Hi Everybody,
    I'm a long-time car guy, but never been involved with Opels before. A friend of mine is ! GIVING ! me a 71 Kadett 1100 2dr (#31 body). The car was running 6 years ago, but has been parked since then, and has 55,000 orig miles. He had some carb trouble, but parked it to do some minor rust treatment, then his wife passed away, and so on. Now he's moving and has to downsize some. I'm trailering the car home Saturday, and was wondering if there are any things I should specifically check out in my initial inspection, other than the usual in a car that's sat that long. I was told the 1100 has steel cylinder sleeves or some such, is that accurate? I also know the brakes are shot, starting at the master cylinder.

Thanks, I look forward to being involved in the coming years

Dave
    First, 1.1 is cast iron throughout, i.e. head and block, uses a 3-mains crankshaft and is a push-rod, non-crossflow OHV design with a valve train very similar to SB Chevy, stamped rockers and balls on studs with adjusting nuts.

Second, only the single one-barrel Solex carbed 11S engine (75mm x 61mm, 1077cc, 7.6CR, 56HP) was offered here in 1971, but the good news is that this is also the simplest carb to rebuild and adjust.

Assuming you've checked hoses and engine electrical connections: drain gas from tank and refill with fresh, change oil (10W40) and oil filter, disconnect green minus (-) wire from coil, remove plugs, put ~teaspoon of 10W40 into each cylinder, use starter to spin engine ~ dozen times or so to build oil pressure, oil cylinder walls and to check for fuel leaks, replace plugs and reconnect green minus wire to coil . . . engine s/b ready to test fire now.

1960: '61 Rekord PII 1.7 3S 3.9 '69 Kadett LS 'sprint' 1.9 3A 3.18
    1970: '70 GT 1.9 4S 3.44 '72 GT 2.2SSD 5S 3.44 '72 GT 2.4FI 5S 3.44P
    1970: '73 GT 1.9FI 4S 3.44 '75 1900 1.9FI 4S 3.44
    1980: '85 Bitter SC 3.9FI 5S 3.44P
    2000: '09 Solstice GXP Coupe 2.0 SIDI VVT "Stage 2" Turbo 5S 3.73P

"De inimico non tantum loquaris male, sed cogites."

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! The guy tells me it has dual carbs, and that the door date says built in Belgium in Oct. 1970. Of course, when he first mentioned the car, he told me it was a rekord, too! It became a kadett after he broght me the service manual and owners manual. I guess I'll find out for sure when I pick it up!

Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

ArrowRe: Engine type and S/N

Thanks! The guy tells me it has dual carbs, and that the door date says built in Belgium in Oct. 1970. Of course, when he first mentioned the car, he told me it was a rekord, too! It became a kadett after he broght me the service manual and owners manual. I guess I'll find out for sure when I pick it up!
    With an actual build date during 1970, even though it's registered as a '71 model here (Sept. '70 - Aug. '71), it would've been built with '70 engines until the end of the year (German model year runs Jan. - Dec.). 1970 offered two 1.1 engines, the 11R or the 11SR, both with twin single downdrafts and otherwise differing only in CR, 8.2 and 9.2 respectively. Look on the left side of the engine on the engine S/N pad, first characters stamped there s/b 11R or 11SR, with the rest identifying the engine S/N.

Downloads
    Uploads

Man, you are on top of things! The owner's manual lists a fuel requiremant of 91 octane. Is that consistant with only the high CR engines, or did all of the 1.1s require that? also, how much HP difference is there? (you know, like this is a drag car or something!?)

I noticed in some of the other threads there were some disparaging remarks on the solex carbs, and that webers were the carb of choice. What's your opinion?

Thanks again!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs upRe: Howdy!

Hey Dave!
    Glad to see another Georgian too and welcome to the site! Hope you love it as much as we do. It's a veritable 'font' of information. Enjoy!

Oh, and IMHO, get rid of the solex. One of our members (was it nobody?) coined the phrase 'solex it' meaning 'toss it/get rid of it'. Have had two GT's and each one has had a Weber put on it. No trouble with the carb after that.

Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a 71 Opel Kadett model 31. They definately came with 2 single barrel solex carbs. These are not the same problem pieces of junk that are commonly mentioned on this website. The single barrels performed well. They were tricky to set up correctly; however, because one of the carbs opened up first as the gas peddle was pressed. Can't remember which; however, I have a 1971 manual if you need any information. The kadett was prone to the same rust problems mentioned on the GT's. They actually share the same platform. You need to check the car out for structural damage before you go through the effort and cost of moving it. I abandoned my 71 in 1979 when it broke in half behind the front seat. Check out the floor boards, inner and outer rocker panels, and jack points. All of this can be repaired but you are looking at a tremendous amount of work and cost if you can't weld.

Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

ArrowRe: Solexes . . . 1.1 and others

Man, you are on top of things! The owner's manual lists a fuel requiremant of 91 octane. Is that consistant with only the high CR engines, or did all of the 1.1s require that? also, how much HP difference is there? (you know, like this is a drag car or something!?)

I noticed in some of the other threads there were some disparaging remarks on the solex carbs, and that webers were the carb of choice. What's your opinion?

Thanks again!
    The 11R engines were rated at 63HP, the 11SR engine at 67HP. Be glad that it's one of the '70 1.1 engines, the '71 was the lowest CR 1.1 Opel engine ever offered here (smog reasons).

The 2-barrel Solexes on the 1.5 and 1.9 CIH engines are spec designed and don't really offer any additional aftermarket tuning capabilities. They have some marginal design deficiencies aggravated over the years by inexperienced and somewhat ham-fisted mechanics' attempts to rebuild and adjust them, which has resulted in their somewhat undeserved negative reputation.

If they were really as bad as the consensus here would indicate, ALL the German car makers would not have continued to use them until replaced by FI! That's right, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Opel, VW, even Porsche and a host of other Euro makers ALL used them. That's why there are so many different Solex models, each specifically designed for a particular engine's operating specifications.

That said, if you want to improve the performance of your Opel engine, then you must change to some sort of Weber, because it CAN be tuned to the new performance enhancements, while the Solex can't. Sad to say, but many here just install their new Weber right out of the box and forget about it, never realizing the full potential of their shiny new $300 carb!

Thanks to this site and several great threads on Weber carb tuning and jetting, that "buy-install-forget" attitude has been changing over the last couple of years. So far I've discussed only the Solex 2-barrel carb to give you a bit of historical perspective. You have TWO singles on a common plenum manifold, a whole different ball of wax!

Actually the single barrel Solex is generally held in a bit higher regard, primarily because of it's simplicity . . . very difficult to screw it up! Like the 2-barrel though, you can't do much with it performance-wise, as it, too, is a specific engine application design.

There ARE some "fairly expensive" Weber replacements for the 1-barrel Solex, but I don't know anyone running a pair of Webers on a 1.1 here. I may be wrong, but I'd stick with the Solexes, just perhaps rebuild and tune them. M2¢W
    Last edited by tekenaar; 09-14-2004 at 05:53 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

DMC- Broke in HALF!!?? Holy ()*$^% Batman! Gotta check that..... He did mention rust on the pass 1/4 panel from the Battery...

Nice to know the 1 bbl solexes are a little better. I'd perfer to get the thing running before even thinking of swapping carbs!

Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had heard something rubbing on the driveshaft for several days, but hadn't got around to checking it out. I went to put something in the back seat one day at lunch. I attempted to fold the seat forward and failed to engage the seat latch. The seat floorboard and seat rails all lifted together. I drove the car home 7 miles and then checked it out. It was cracked all the way across the rockers, tunnel and floor board. That car had had a particularily tough life. I originally bought it totalled in 1972 with 17,000 miles. While I was putting it back together I found that half of the passenger side quarter panel had already been replaced. I lost a taillight in a parking lot one day and lost the hood when a 100 pound chunk of ice slid off the roof of my apartment and landed squarely on the hood. I was going to school at Michigan Tech at the time and routinely parked it in 2 feet of snow. By the way the model 31 with the very light 1.1 will go anywhere in the snow. Very well balanced weight distribution. The car was totalled two more times while I lived in Cleveland. Each time I put it back together. It was tough saying goodbye to it, but there just wasn't anything left to put back together.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, DMC, I think you got everything that one had to give. I'm looking forward to having a small lightweight car. My Daily driver is a '70 Chev Impala. Nice and comfy, fairly fast. and big. The Kadett is an original Georgia car, so it won't have seen any roadsalt. The guy giving it to me bought it from a man who bought it used in '72 and eventually used it as a dog house (goodbye upholstery and shift knob). If you missed it, Ill be 4th owner. It has been battling Kudzu vines for the last 6 years in his backyard. Let's hear it for kudzu, all you southern folks!

Somebody said it shares a platform with the GT? How much is the same? Did the GT run an 1100 in base models?

Dave

Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some GT's came with the 1.1; however, most were built with the 1.9. The engines in all of the German Opels were the same regardless of which model they were put in. (kadetts, GTs, Mantas, 1900's etc.) There were basically 3 engines used. The 1.1, 1.5 and 1.9. There were a few small differences in the engines by model year. Drive trains and front suspension are very similar between the kadetts and GT's. The interior and body panels are of course different. If there are specific questions regarding parts cross references between the models I can give you that information on a part by part basis.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, guys, there's trouble in paradise. I went through the start-up procedures described above, and all I get is a solid clunk when the starter engages. Tried rocking the car while in gear, and the engine won't turn. The block torques to one side and the back tires slide. Can't turn the crank with the front pully bolt either, even with all the spark plugs out. I do believe the engine is seized up good. It's a shame since it's only got 60k on it and the oil I drained out was actually pretty clean. I'm spraying WD-40 into the cylinders heavily every evening and hoping it will work loose in time. Any other ideas? I don't have the equipment right now to pull the motor. Also, I've never done engine internals or rebuild before, but I guess there's always a first time.....

*sigh*

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Engine Revival

Squirt a bit of carb cleaner in through the spark plug holes too. Also remove the rocker cover and check to see if any of the valves are are stuck open before you try to turn the motor over again. Just push down on the end of the rocker arm over the valve, with a bit of wood, and see if you can get some movement. Spray the carb cleaner around the top of the valve guides on any stuck valves ( just a wee bit - don't contaminate the oil with too much of it ) then "work" them with the bit of wood and your body weight till they free up. Once the motor will turn over "work" it with the plugs out till it rotates as freely as possible then spin it with the starter - plugs out - to clear as much of the fluid as possible from the cylinders before refitting the plugs and attempting to start it.
    HTH
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Thread Information