Alaska
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Alaska

Downloads
    Uploads

Alaska

Hello everyone,

I was so excited when I found this site, I completely overlooked the Introductions. My name is Gideon and live in Girdwood, Alaska. Home to Alyeska Ski Resort, the only destination resort in Alaska. We are a bedroom community of Anchorage. I work a 2 week on 2 week off schedule, affording me lots of time to contribute to my new addiction. I have a 1970 GT that is a runner, but needs some TLC. Some of the things I've started with are rebuilding the rear brakes (all but the drum), chased down and fixed the lighting issue (no headlights, tailights, brake lights). Turns out most of it was in the fuses, not that they were bad, but that the posts were spread and not making contact. I redid the battery ground and all the other grounds picked up. I still don't have wipers, horn, flashers and blinkers, but I am working that way. I find myself just sitting in the car, wearing a headlamp reading and re-reading the manuals and wiring diagrams with a cup of coffee close by. This car has come at a perfect time in my life and I couldn't be more thankful.

I was fortunate enough to have been given my opel, with the conditions of never sell it! This came from my dad, who's wife recieved the car when she was 16. It has been sitting on a trailer(uncovered) since 1998, so it has some sun damage to the interior and paint. The dash is really cracked up, I'm hoping to pick one up on ebay or... Here in Alaska there really aren't many options other than going Outside to get parts. I am also considering purchasing a 2.0 liter to drop in, I've talked with Dennis @ OGTS and he was kind enough to send me a list of parts and estimated parts costs for a 1.9L to 2.0L conversion. We have a very reputable machine shop in Anchorage that can do the work. Though I have seen some reasonable prices on used 2.0 motors, where shipping to Alaska would be the most expensive aspect to consider.

Thanks to Adam Opel and to all who make this site possible. If anyone out there knows of a place to get dashes, instrument panels, center consoles (Shifter) etc. I would gladly send money and fresh smoked salmon!!!

Gideon

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tell me what you need and will gladly trade for some fresh Halibut. I miss that so much. Put a list together and I probably have the parts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Where in Colorado??? I was born in Colorado Springs, moved away at a very young age. My wife graduated from CC, we hope to make it to one of her reunions.

As this is my first restoration, can you recommend a good book. I intend to have the car painted this winter, including the engine compartment. Under what circumstances would someone paint the inside? In preping it I am pulling the carpet and interior parts out now. Due to the massive sun damage, all the plastic is cracked. The dash is considerably bad. I've thought about filling the cracks with canned foam, sanding and just covering, but as the car grows on me more and more I just can't do it. As of now I know I am going to need:

Dash
    Instrument panel (with clips and posts)
    Shifter console
    Chrome window trim(s)

I saw that Opels Unlimited seems to have some great prices on Weber carbs, 2.0 liter short blocks and drivetrain parts. He is hard to get ahold of though, I'm still waiting on a price quote. As an Alaskan, you can understand the desire to want as much stuff on hand as possible. So much time is spent tracking down parts from up here.

I will post some pictures of my GT once I figure out how to load them in the forum.

I've got a stocked freezer full of 1lb halibut steaks........

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    O.K. you've got a list of what you want, if you don't get responses to your wish list on the dash, I can tell you that your dash can be completely redone to showroom condition, but it is expensive. I had mine done by JustDashes, here in CA, it is not cheap at $600 and some change, but an outstanding product. How far down do you want to disassemble your car? To see some of what I've done and am doing, do a search for Willit?Upgrade. My car is nothing but a shell, anything that was suspect during disassembly was repaired or replaced, and that process is still ongoing as I start the assembly phase. Other sources for parts is Opel GT Source and USA Opel, both have websites that can be viewed and have toll free numbers. OGTS has an on line catalog complete with prices. Also, check out E-Bay, you can go directly to the Opel e-baly listings from the main page on this site, check out the box on the top left of the screen. HTH.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The dash is a hard item to get in good shape. I have all the rest of what you asked about. I built my first GT in Juneau so I know all about parts that way.

I was also born in Colorado Springs and live about 35 miles south of there.

Which window chrome is my only question?

Cunning Linguist Site Supporter tekenaar's Avatar
    Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs upAlaskan GT

Quote Originally Posted by AKGT
    Hello everyone,

I was so excited when I found this site, I . . . couldn't be more thankful.

I was fortunate enough to have been given my opel, with the conditions of never sell it! This came from my dad, who's wife recieved the car when she was 16. It has been sitting on a trailer(uncovered) since 1998, so it has some sun damage to the interior and paint. The dash is really cracked . . . shipping to Alaska would be the most expensive aspect to consider.

Thanks to Adam Opel and to all who make this site possible. If anyone out there knows of a place to get dashes, instrument panels, center consoles (Shifter) etc. I would gladly send money and fresh smoked salmon!!!

Gideon
    SUN DAMAGE???? in ALASKA????!!

1960: '61 Rekord PII 1.7 3S 3.9 '69 Kadett LS 'sprint' 1.9 3A 3.18
    1970: '70 GT 1.9 4S 3.44 '72 GT 2.2SSD 5S 3.44 '72 GT 2.4FI 5S 3.44P
    1970: '73 GT 1.9FI 4S 3.44 '75 1900 1.9FI 4S 3.44
    1980: '85 Bitter SC 3.9FI 5S 3.44P
    2000: '09 Solstice GXP Coupe 2.0 SIDI VVT "Stage 2" Turbo 5S 3.73P

"De inimico non tantum loquaris male, sed cogites."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tekenaar
    SUN DAMAGE???? in ALASKA????!!
    Ozone Hole - high UV in sunlight. It is even worse down here in Southern climes........
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been down to Chile surfing and the UV exposures down there are terrible. Every hour I put 50+ on, though the last time I went south was coming out of a long winter up here and I was as white and transparent as a bottom feeding fish!

Here in Alaska we make up for lack of sun in the winter with loooooong summer days!! Perfect for road trips.

Thread Information