Hello From now Atlanta
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello From now Atlanta

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello From now Atlanta

Hi all.
    I've been a few years member of the board, and have just recently been relocated to the Atlanta area from my former home in Santa Cruz, CA. The move is not yet fully complete as I am temporarily in corporate housing downtown. Fortunately the company is going to move my 70GT from out there to here. I just am need of a home to park it in a month or so.
    I have always noticed that there are quite a few members in the Atlanta area, and would like to ask for some free advice on what the area members here have to say about where a guy like me (4 cars, one wife, one cat, no kids) would like to look to live in the area. I've asked my co-workers here and what my boss told me would be the case is indeed the case. Everybody likes where they live and recommend it highly. Any help and comments would be appreciated and am looking forward to maybe sometime in the future after I'm settled meeting some of you in the area. I am going to miss the close availability of Gil's parts!
    Brian in now Atlanta
    BD

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Brian;
    Welcome to Atlanta!! Always great to have another Opel around here.
    I have been in Atlanta all my life, give me a buzz and we can talk.
    Gene
    404-797-2759 (M)
    678-344-7579 (H)
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Brian,

I am with Gene. Welcome to Hotlanta! After you give Gene a call. Give me one. I have lived here since 1988. I work in Buckhead and live in Acworth. My wife works downtown. We have two kids and 3 cars (one 73 GT in restoration mode).

Where the best place to live depends on what type of living style you like, when you like to be at work and how much time you want to commute each day. My wife has a 45min commute, but she is at work by 6:30am. I have an 1hr to 1.5hr commute because I drop the kids off at school and I am in the thick of Rush Hour!!

Housing is less expensive in Atlanta than in Calf. You will be able to get a bigger place with garage than you had in Calf for the same cost .

My cell number is 404-626-8645, home 770-975-9743. I recommend that you call on the cell it is a lot easer to get in touch with me on it.

Gene, we are getting enough folks in the Atlanta area, to get together a little more frequent then we have in the past. Just an idea!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys!
    Everybody down here seems so nice and willing to help in every way. The traffic here seems to put what I left behind in now depressed Silicon Valley to shame! Good part is that I'm working for Turner Broadcast and am on the overnight (read graveyard) shift, so hopefully traffic won't be a huge thing for me as I adjust. I might add that I'm not from CA originally either but Wisconsin 25 years ago. I have already been told that the difference between a Yankee and a Darn Yankee is that the latter is coming down to stay. Once I get somewhat settled and have a moment I'll be sure to give you each a buzz.
    Brian
    BD

Downloads
    Uploads

I wish i still lived in georgia!!!!!

I lived in Pike county Georgia for the first 10 years of my life. Its about 30 minutes south of Atlanta.Now living in Illinois... well any ways there are alot of nice people on this site that are kinda close to you that have parts they are willing to sell. remember to post pictures of that gt. im always foward to seeing more GT's
    {)BILLY(} & The 71' GT
    73 manta luxus
    real cars don't power the front wheels...... they lift 'em

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Brian;
    When is your GT supposed to arrive? If you need a safe and cheap(read FREE!!) place to park it till you need it, you can park it here at my place. It will definitely be safe.
    Gene

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Rick;
    We also have another newbie, down in Newnan, Dieter has arrived! So yes, we'll have to start getting our own gatherings started

Your Noble Friend ;-) G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Its me!

Gene just announced me, and here I am: Dieter (yes I'm German), just moved from the Charlotte NC area to Newnan GA. Brought a 75% finished Kadett Coupe with me. I'm highly interested in getting together with some other Opelers in the area. I already miss my friends from the Carolina Opel Club. I got my club T-shirt a week before I moved down here...
    See 'Ya,

Dieter

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Deiter!!! Glad to hear you made it. I tried to send you a couple emails and hadn't heard from you. Just sent Gene a PM asking had he heard from you. Drop us a line. Jarrell (Member. Carolina Opels)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jarrell,
    I never got an email from you. Maybe you typed my name wrong (I'm still "Dieter", not "Deiter"... )

Senior Contributor Killer Texas GT's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Race Track- loop 820

Traffic is differant than than that of CA. If you ain't going 80 to 90 mph on the 820 or 75 for that matter you will get ran over, even though its a 55mph limit. but rush hour is another subject completely. Enjoy Hotlanta it don't take to long to get use to the 95% humidity and 96 degree temps in summer and Snow blizzarrds in the winter. But you do have good Opel folks around you in Atlanta, and every once in a while this TEXACAN makes it out that way for visits (parts deliveries) which if time allows we will have a mini meet.
    rk
    Opel Club of Texas

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gene,
    WOW that's awesome. I hope to not have to take you up on that offer, but at this point stuck down here in downtown temporary housing who knows. I had a lot of space at my spread in Norcal but here, I'm looking. My girlfriend is still out there at the house, and my VERY rough plan is to find a place here and then swoop out there one last time and collect her, the cat, the household stuff and put the GT on transport. Don't take offence, but I always called that place my little slice of appalachia out there on the west coast. If I had pictures to post, you'd know what I mean. TOO MANY VEHICLES in the yard. Fortunately I was in a place where it didn't show to the outside world, and nobody cared. One small difference was that all my vehicles "cranked". In fact all but my poor old '64 Valiant that I have used as a storage shed for the GT's spare windshield could be driven out here but not enough takers on driving them out here for me. I may have been born in Wisc. and took a wrong turn 25 years ago to CA but what the heck. I finally made it. It is refreshing to see that somebody like yourself, much like the people out there in Norcal, welcome all newbies to the area, even though it changes the face of the place they grew up in forever.
    Rk I understand what you mean about the traffic. I asked my co-worker here why we were doing 70 in town, and he stated that if you impede traffic flow, the cops, unlike Norcal, really might pull you and give a ticket for impeding traffic. I'm walking a fine line with my 98 Sebring with.... CA PLATES. Actually I've removed the front one as to look at least from the front more normal.
    Thanks all, and I'll be checking for a meet. At least one thing that i have to look forward to as a stranger here, but hopefully not for long.
    Thanks all,
    Brian
    BD

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Brian;
    If you could see my "little patch of Heaven" you'd think you were home. I have a separate 2 car garage/shop as well as a 2 car carport, with space to park about 15+ cars and it's in a 'hood off the beaten path, where my two neighbors are Studebaker nuts, another is a Ford freak, one has a Chevy drag car, another is an avid 4-wheeler, so, you'd fit right in in our neck of the woods, in fact there are several houses up for sale/rent. Very quiet 'hood, you can eve hear the church bells in the distant steeple.
    Gene

Downloads
    Uploads
    Brian,

I had some time up in Wis and Min during the summer. I had a job at the amusement park "Valley Fare". The folks in Atlanta are great and I am also a "Dame Yankee". I am from Columbus Ohio.

As far as were to live I would suggest the 75 north corridor (Marietta, Kennesaw, Acworth, Woodstock, Carterville) plus you will be close to me!! Since you are working the late shift traffic will be no concurn for you. You can get to the CNN center from Acworth in 40min. You can get a more house for the $.

As far a parts for the GT. We in Atlanta may not have a Opel GT store with new parts just down the street, but we do have a lot of used parts in good condition close (Like in my garage or Gene's). If we do not have them there we can always find them quick.

Hay Atlanta Gang, (Gene, Ed, Sharon, Dieter, and all the rest), what does December look for a get together. Dec 11th weekend is the first one that I have available for a get together.

I will make sure my sons do not touch your cameras (only mine)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to Georgia, guys. I spent 5 years at georgia Tech right there in downtown ATL. It's a great town. Now I'm about 1.5 hrs south, but if you guys put together a meet, I'd love to come. Don't know if the Kadett will be running soon, but I can bring pics if nothing else. Dieter, you've got the only other Kadett in Georgia that I've ever heard of. Must be others here somewhere.......mine was originally sold here, it can't be the only one.

Dave

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dave;
    There's a guy that was just around the corner from Todd Kirby (neuropel) when he lived in Lithia Springs. This guy had about 3 or 4 Kadetts in his yard. In fact, the 74 Manta Todd has was actually sitting in his neighbors house. There was also an old gentleman, way back, that lived in Paulding County, he had an acre of land COVERED in nothing but Kadetts, and two huge chicken coops full of later model Opels. But, I think Sharon has found out that the old gentleman is gone. There's also a guy in Blairsville that has about 13 GTs, if he hasn't sold them all. So, there's opels all over GA.

Rick;
    That sounds like a plan to me, if we can get everyone informed. It'd be a great Holiday party!
    Gene

Downloads
    Uploads

meeting

The Kadett will be out for a test drive in either 05 or 06. I would like nothing more but starting to work on it again, but first I have to take care of other things like working on the house or doing double duty to bring home the money and care for my wife with a broken foot
    As far as the meeting: I can not make promises on any date that is further away than a week, but I can make one promise: If I can make it possible somehow, I'm in. If a short planning is possible with 'ya all, I gladly offer my house, driveway, living room, basement, grill and drinks. Be welcome in Newnan (Exit 47 off I-85).
    Dieter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Brian and Welcome!!

Welcome to Hotlanta, as somebody else said. Hope you like it here. My boyfriend Oliver and I live in Kennesaw, we've met a couple of these folks whose names you heard, Gene, Rick and the departed for PA Todd Kirby. We just sold one GT but we have more , plus one sweet little Manta Luxus with sunroof that is my baby, at least until I fine a suitable Rallye (there's one in Texas on the ad board that I'm longing for when we get some money). We've also got a driveway and garage full of older Pontiacs.

Just a thought, I have a 3BR/2BA house with 2 car garage up in Cartersville that's for rent. We had 3 GTs in the garage for quite a while

Again, welcome, and us Atlanta area Opelers have GOT to get together pretty soon!

Sharon

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sharon - Any idea on the Paulding county guy BQS4 mentioned? If he's gone, maybe I could track down what happened to the cars.

As for the meet in ATL, I'd need a couple weeks warning, too. any of us who've tried to fit car resto into a day-to-day schedule know how busy we really are!

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads
    All I know is that on a couple of different occasions, we drove all over the county. Gene was able to remember that the cars were out in the open at the intersection of two roads, would have been farmland-type. Well, there are a lot of new subdivisions out there right now. There was also another clue to narrow down the area a little more, maybe a small community -- Gene, what was it? Seems like something -Hill maybe? Anyway, we found the area on the map, but nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information