HELLO!!! I'm new Here!
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: HELLO!!! I'm new Here!

Downloads
    Uploads

HELLO!!! I'm new Here!

I'm a Newbie here!

I like Vauxhalls, the British Opels.

I Also like the German Opels such as the Manta, Monza and Rekord.

I Own a 2003 Vauxhall Vectra. Really Nice Car.

I would like to know something:

Until when, Opel sold Cars in US Market and what were the cars sold for the U.S Market?

I Also would like to know if Vauxhalls sold cars in U.S too?

By the way: Why the Cadillac Catera wasn't sucessful in the American Market?

Pity really, because the Omega is a Vey Nice Car.

Speaking in Omega...The same Opel Omega made in Russelsheim and Exported to the U.S.A as Cadillac Catera, also was exported to Britain as Vauxhall Omega.

Best Wishes!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowalski
    Until when, Opel sold Cars in US Market and what were the cars sold for the U.S Market?
    The last German Opels came into North America (officially) in 1975. After that, Buick imported the Isuzu as an "Opel Isuzu" (I believe until 1979).

An "Aftermarket Opel" was imported in the form of the Bitter CD (1973 to 1979, based on the Opel Diplomat) and the Bitter SC (1981 to 1986, based on the Opel Senator). As you have pointed out, GM imported the Opel Omega disguised as a Cadillac Catera from 1997 to 2001. And the Saturn L series is based on the Opel Vectra.

I Also would like to know if Vauxhalls sold cars in U.S too?
    They were sold through the Pontiac dealers, I believe. I had one myself. An Envoy Epic (sold through Chevy dealers), which was also sold here as a Vauxhall Viva. I think they came in from about 1966 to 1972. Earlier, the Vauxhall Victor was also imported; my older brother had a 1958 Victor.

By the way: Why the Cadillac Catera wasn't successful in the American Market?
    Generally, the quality and performance wasn't up to the competition, and Cadillac hadn't established itself as a "performance" brand yet. The typical Cadillac driver was prone enough to swerving out of his geriatric lane, without driving a car that "zigs" (the Catera motto). In addition, while the BMW 325 was more money, it has head and shoulders better quality, and better performance and handling. The Lexus is300 (which I have, after looking at Catera's) was faster, handled much better, is more sporty (mine has a manual 5-speed) and is significantly more reliable (and MUCH better service than any GM dealer could even pretend to offer!).

JM2CW
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Downloads
    Uploads

Car brands mess...

Hi there!
    As I know the Vauxhall brand is only for the UK market. You would never have any Vauxhalls in any other part of Europe. So my conclusion is that none of them are currently sold in the US ora in any other country in the World.
    By the way, Chevrolet just started as a brand here in Poland, selling all the stuff that was previously manufactured by the Korean company (Daewoo). I believe that people from the US have no idea, what kind of cars could be sold under the brand name of Chevrolet. I will look for some pictures and post them to you.
    Regards,
    Proud owner of a '69 GT

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Generally, the quality and performance wasn't up to the competition, and Cadillac hadn't established itself as a "performance" brand yet. The typical Cadillac driver was prone enough to swerving out of his geriatric lane, without driving a car that "zigs" (the Catera motto). In addition, while the BMW 325 was more money, it has head and shoulders better quality, and better performance and handling. The Lexus is300 (which I have, after looking at Catera's) was faster, handled much better, is more sporty (mine has a manual 5-speed) and is significantly more reliable (and MUCH better service than any GM dealer could even pretend to offer!).

It's strange you mention that the BMW 3-Series was the rival for the Catera, because in Europe the Omega compete with the BMW 5-Series.

So I guess, The main problem with the Catera it'ss because is a Cadillac? Maybe if it was an Oldsmobile , it probably would have been more sucessful I guess. Am I wrong?

I'm amazed at the poor reputation that these cars have developed based on owner’s comments, but I think I know why. Apparently 60% of the Catera's buyers were formerly Cadillac owners; 40% are new to the brand. I can't imagine someone who is accustomed to a Sedan DeVille liking a Catera one bit. The combination of damping, spring rates, and low profile tires provide a very firm ride. The sport seats are supportive and (gasp) manually adjustable unlike the puffy units in the DeVille. The car’s dimensions are much smaller than other Cadillacs, and it has a sophisticated V6 rather than a (albeit outstanding) V8. The interior is very tasteful, yet obviously not at all like other Cadillacs or American cars for that matter. It was built overseas in Germany; and that's where Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes come from. Is this a bad thing?

The overall quality of the vehicle is good. It's the only Opel/Vauxhall which rated very well in all Satisfaction Relaibility Surveys. My father owned two Omeegas and none of themhad a single failure. The first on it was a 1999 CDX Saloon 2.5 V6 Automatic and he sold with 80K miles and Now he owns a 2002 Omega Elite Saloon 3.2 V6 Automatic with 50k miles and under the chassis is absolutely excellent. Highpoints include dealer network and service options, climate control effectiveness, audio system, ride quality, long distance capability, outstanding headlights, sound insulation, and trunk room.

No, it's not a Cadillac. No, It's not a BMW. It is a car that offers a decent blend of elements from each at a fraction of the cost. I purchased mine in near mint used condition with 30k miles on the clock. These little gems are completely overlooked at the moment and represent a true bargain. A bargain that is, if you're not interested in owning a "Cadillac".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the Catera a Bad Car?

Well, I think not.

Here it is my impression about my father's Vauxhall Omega 3.2 V6 Automatic.

Both the Cadillac Catera, Holden Commodore, Opel Omega B and Vauxhall Omega were the same car but with different abdges and one interesting Difference:

The Catera was electronically limited at a Top Speed of only 125 Mph. While the Omega with the same engine and transmission could reach a Top Speed 150 Mph.

anyway, here it is my opinion:

This car has a special feature called "sport". There is a button that is press able atop the shift stick. This switch makes the car's throttle more responsive. In accelerating with this feature, the car will switch at red line! If you want to go fast, you press the "S" button. My friend also calls it "get away from cop mode".

The mechanical steering adjustment that the car automatically adjusts is great for highway cruising. It makes the steering wheel less responsive, and keeps the car going straight. However, in emergency maneuvers, it is incredibly responsive. The car handles amazingly well!

The memory preset for seat position is a great feature, it even remembers the location of the rear view mirrors!

The rear sunscreen is a conversational masterpiece! It is the first thing I show to people who haven't seen my car yet, and they simply go "WOW!"

The garage door memory on the rear view mirror is an excellent feature. It keeps potentially dangerous openers from coming off the visor in an accident, and very convenient because you'll never forget it!

The interior of the car is very nice, its not quite what I would expect from sport luxury however. Though a matter of preference, the luxuries of the car was more dominant than the sport.

When driven slowly, the car feels like a tank. However, when the car is in sport mode, it feels like a souped up 4 cylinder compact car on steroids.

I can't get over that I am driving a better car than many other people, at a small price. IT'S A LUXURY-SPORT SALOON BARGAIN!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Cadillac Branding

My impression is the Catera was Cadillac's attempt to attract younger buyers and broaden their brand recognition. Undoubtedly, Cadillac retains its old man's car image, which is OK as long as old men continue to purchase them. But they need to stat capturing people in their late twenties - mid thirties and try to retain them as repeat buyers. Face it, most of us baby boomers have only one new car purchase (possibly two) left in us - then we're out of the market.

I've rented Cadillacs on business, and I've got to admit, I like them. That El Dorado coupe (no longer produced) with the Northstar engine would be my 1st choice for a cross county (3000 mile) high-speed drive via the interstate system. That puppy can maintain 90-100 mph without strain, and the driver would still feel relaxed and fresh at the end of the day.

I had one trip through the Rocky Mountain States that required a full day on-site work, followed by 4-5 hours of high-speed travel at night. This went on for a week. And that El Dorado was just the ticket. Rented the Deville sedan in Florida and cruised the Keys. The XLR Convertible with retractable hardtop would have been great for that trip. But they weren't making them yet.

But back to the topic, I don't think GM has done a good job marketing Opels. It’s almost like they don't understand the market niche for this marquee.
    "Squealing tires are happy tires" - The Stig

Downloads
    Uploads

Catera

I know the Cadillac Catera is not the purpose of this community, but I am in need of a better economy vehicle than my daily driver Isuzu Trooper now that I am travelling (via driving) some. I found a great looking Catera on eBay, fairly local to me, from a well established and highly rated eBay Car seller. Since it is a re-badged Opel, I am very interested.

Any other opinions as to its quality? Exeriences with one?

Thanks...
    Mark

70 GT, Rebuilt 1.9L; ported, performance Cam , Weber 32/36, Pertronix, ported and torquered intake manifold, Sprint Exhaust manifold

Real Name
    Hallgeir Bjørkavåg
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi and welcome, Kowalski.

As an Omega-owner for almost 10 years, I have to reply on this one. I had my -91 Omega A for eight years without problems at all. Now I have an Omega B 2,5 V6 CD, and it is a very good car. I agree in what Kowalski says. I like everything with this car. Interior, exterior, handling, quality and comfort. I have friends with both BMW 5-series and Mercedes, and I don`t think the Omega stands back for either of those. Neither do the owners of them. I think Caddilac owners have a different view of how a car should be like. Maybe Europeans and Americans also have a different view of this.
    Last edited by hallgeir; 01-17-2006 at 01:07 AM.
    Hallgeir

Opels now:
    -69 GT 1900, -95 Omega B 2,5 V6 CD Aut. -93 Astra Bertone 2.0i convertible
    Previous Opels:
    -91 Omega A 2,0i, -85 Ascona 1,6S CC, -78 Ascona 1,9S, -81 Commodore 2,5S Berlina,
    -82 Ascona 1,6S CC, -78 Ascona 1,9S, -72 Ascona 1,6S

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/vbgoogl...4650269&zoom=5

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always stayed away from Cadillac because I read one of Lee Iacoccas' books that loosely said: [Cadillac was GMs unofficial experiment car. Any new technology that GM was thinking about adding to their other cars ended up on the Cadillac first] Often as not new features ended up making some aspect of ownership of a Cadillac disappointing. Of course Mr. Iacocca was heading up Chrysler by the time he had wrote the book!

Was he trying to be a historian or a competitor you decide...

Thread Information