Hello
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Hello

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello

Hello,

I recently joined this forum. I don't have an Opel (yet), but I have always had a real soft spot for the Manta As and hope to pick one up at some point. My brother used to own a '73 Manta 1.6S (UK) back in '83 which was a lot of fun. He abused it a little more than he should have (Xmas '83 with him doing donuts outside in the frozen / snow covered car park springs to mind) and the car was later sold to finance another project. I never forgot this metallic green Manta though.

I am currently living / working in Japan for the foreseeable future and in the time I have been here (which has been a few years now) I have seen 2 '73 / '74 1.9 Berlinettas - one in Tokyo and one in Nagoya. A nice '73 Berlinetta / Luxus would be a good addition.

I also have a great interest in the other 60s / 70s Opels (Rekord / Commodore / Kapitan / Kadette / Ascona) and Opels produced in other parts of the world (ever seen a '74 Chevrolet Iran?).

Other current vehicles (yawn) are Toyota Camry (2000) / Nissan Terrano 2.7 TD and '72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 400-4BBL (in storage).

Looking forward to talking / learning more about older Opels.

Regards,

Ian Bartlett
    Nagasaki

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome

Hello Ian, You have arrived at the right place to learn and talk about older Opels. There is so much knowledge about 1960's and 70's Opels here that it is just about the best place in the world to be - especially if you have a touch of "Opelitus".

In Japan the 1981-89 Isuzu Piazza's have Opel diff design and down in Australia the 1975-79 Holden Toranas' used the 1.9 Litre Opel motor. Not many of the real Opels on this side of the Pacific though till Holden started to use the later Vectras, Astras etc as four cylinder lines to complement the Commodores - which were based upon Opel design.

Great to hear that there are a few "real" Opels in Japan!
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Real Name
    Jared
    Downloads
    Uploads
    my uncle used to have a 71 sebring, man those things scream.
    previousely owned 8 GTs and 1 manta.

currently own

92 25th anniversary Z28. Ttop, leather, 370CI LSx T56 swap
    407 RWHP, 391 RWTQ, 11.74 @ 121

67 chevy sportvan deluxe....next in line.

73 chevy K-10- plow truck

71 GT, 1.9 4speed

2007 chevy silverado 1500, crewcab, loaded, Canadian limited edition GFX package Daily driver

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Hello

Hi GTJim,

Thanks for the welcome. I see that you are a Kiwi - ex-Australian here, many years ago (Perth). I have spent many years overseas living and working (Europe / Japan / US) and was lucky enough to have plenty of access to Opels of all kinds (and Opel influenced cars). This may be the incorrect forum, but I am sure I will be steered to the correct one for future postings.

In the '70s we lived in Holland as kids due to father's work (groetjes aan de Nederlanders!) and I can remember streets full of late 50s / 60s and the 70s Kadettes / big Commodores / Rekords etc. Our neighbours had an orange '72 Manta A 1.6S and another neighbour had a '67-70 GS Coupe just like this one (except for the Black roof).

http://www.opel-classic.dk/Commodore%20A/Rcommo6903.jpg

In '74 we transferred to Iran for a year, where I remember the Chevrolet Iran - I looked on the Net but could find no pics of these cars, which was in effect Opel Rekords with Chevrolet badges. There were many around at the time.

http://www.opelclubfinland.net/tapah...2b_mobilia.jpg

My first car was a '70 HG Holden Monaro 186S (back in '83) with the Opel 4-speed. A nice car and totally wasted on me - I rolled it 4 weeks after I got it in a display of excessive speed coupled with woefully inadequate driving abilities.....I think the styling influence of the Opel Coupes in unmistakeable for the HK/HT/HG Series Monaros...

Xmas '85 (not '83), I visited my brother in the UK and hooned around in his RHD Manta 1.6S over the Xmas period - a lot of fun on snowy roads. I would have taken that Manta back to Australia if he had let me, but he didn't have the inclination and I didn't have the money anyway (student). It would have been a cool car in Perth although spares might have been an issue.

I have had a lot of cars in the meantime (mostly work drones) but I have some favourites (like the big Plymouth which I will never sell). We currently run an Nissan Terrano 2.7 TD on Biodiesel made from waste cooking oil (the only one here as far as we know) and spend a fair bit of time messing around with this.

I will be posting on the Manta A forum as future plans will also include a Common Rail Turbo Diesel Manta A as these types of engines become more widely available.

I am not that fussed about manufacturers and I like the cars based on their own appeal. I always liked the pretty Manta A (I was particularly interested in the obviously rare TE 2800), but I also liked the appeal of the smaller 1.6 / 1.9s.

Looking forward to talking / learning more about these vehicles.

Regards,

Ian Bartlett
    Nagasaki

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Hello

Quote Originally Posted by greensmurf20
    my uncle used to have a 71 sebring, man those things scream.
    Hi greensmurf,

Yes, you are right - if kicked hard they will definitely get up and boogie - even the emissions-rated '72s .

Regards,

Ian B.
    Nagasaki

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    I have had a lot of cars in the meantime (mostly work drones) but I have some favourites (like the big Plymouth which I will never sell). We currently run an Nissan Terrano 2.7 TD on Biodiesel made from waste cooking oil (the only one here as far as we know) and spend a fair bit of time messing around with this.

Looking forward to talking / learning more about these vehicles.

Regards,

Ian Bartlett
    Nagasaki
    Ian,
    There is an interesting web site that deals with Biodiesel made from cooking oil www.greasel.com that I was shown by one of the people who sold me GT parts on eBay. He is from southern Illinois and worked as a teacher in Autoshop at a local High School - runs a diesel Mercedes on cooking oil himself.
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    all the refuse wagons in london (england ) run on veggy oil
    think you just filter it then add a 5cc of turps substitute /gallon and let it sit for a week then put in tank and off you go
    a car show here called "top gear " did a test on it and found no reason to fault it except 1 if its had fish fried in it (as in from a chip shop ) you get a smell of fish and chips that drives you crazy
    An Eagle may fly high but a Weasel doesnt get sucked into a jet engine.

Downloads
    Uploads

'71 Satellite Sebring Plus

Wasn't luck enough to have the 400, but had the 318. It still ran good. Wish I still had it. My cousin got it and thrashed it.

Currently working on two Mantas, '74 Rallye (SR) w/sunroof and '74 Sport Coupe. Both 1.9L 4-speeds, 1-F.I., 1-Carb. Much work, but I have high hopes to finish one day.

Welcome to the group.

Downloads
    Uploads

deep fried rides!

I see this guy driving around town alot.
    http://www.greasecar.com/

He sells conversion kits, but I think you'll need a diesel engine to start with.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm... Ecotec GT (Grease Turbo-diesel!)

Time to start a new topic thread, I think.

Downloads
    Uploads

Long live Opelers and a Happy New Year !

Hi there !

Welcome to our new friend from Japan ( even he is English) , two year ago I was living in Japan for three month in Nagoya where I also saw one Opel GT and one Opel Diplomat V8 (RHD). I'm living in Romania where it begins since few years ago classic car movement this including for sure activities regarding classic Opel restauration. At this moment I'm working at two OPEL REKORD C ( one from '67 full original including beige paint - 1.7 litres CIH engine and three gear and one '68 with 1.9 CIH engine - four gears and arround 140 HP --> 290 degrees KENTCAM , 2 x SOLEX C40ADDHE carbs , lightened flywheel a.s.o ) .
    Best Regards,

Cristian STOIAN
    Bucharest ROMANIA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello

Hi Cristian,

Thanks for your note - not many people who have been to Nagoya :-)... I also saw what I thought was an Opel GT there once, but dismissed it as something else - was it Metallic Green?

I remember Rekord C 's well - please make sure you post some pics of these cool cars. Just FYI, I remember loooong ago when I was 7 (1969 - showing my age now) and we had just moved to the Netherlands, my brother and I nagged my father into taking us to see the European Hell Drivers (from Germany, touring Holland). The entire team consisted on Opels (Rekord Cs / Kadettes etc.) all painted with Hell Drivers across the doors, doing 2 wheel driving, ramp jumps etc. Unfortunately, all cars they trashed / jumped / rolled etc. were Opels as well, many like this.

http://www.johaneliasson.com/under_s...ord%201962.JPG

and this

http://www.opel-classic-parts.com/images/kapitan58.jpg

Trys finding one of these now......

Make sure you post pics of your Rekord Cs when you get a chance.

Regards,

Ian B.
    Nagasaki
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kwilford; 01-08-2005 at 10:56 AM.

Thread Information