Haw Ya'al Doin... Just Bought a '73 GT
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Haw Ya'al Doin... Just Bought a '73 GT

Downloads
    Uploads

Haw Ya'al Doin... Just Bought a '73 GT

Hello, I am new to the board, and I found it while researching car values when I found a little red Opel Car that was for Sale.... Long story short one week later I made an offer... and the car now sits in my garage...or aleast outside of it untill I clean it abit.

It's a 1973 GT, Red (but looks like it used to be a cream), Automatic, Split Taillights... I still Havent had time to see what engine it has...

Over all Im verry happy with my GT purchase, and will be a long term project.

Current Plan is to have the exterior look mostly stock, with some wide Tire/Rims perhaps slightly lowered.

Interior will be abit more modern new Gagues, Seats, aluminum trim and maybe a bit of leather???.

Engine... This is were I'm still undecided(swap/rebuild). Defenetly want to take out the Auto Trans.

TO START: This weekend I plan to start cleaning it, especially the Interior, I will be taking the interior apart this weekend.

Any way... just wanted to introduce myself before I started asking a bunch of questions. Thanks , Francisco, Laredo Texas
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Francisco, welcome to the site. Swapping out the tranny shouldn't be a problem, two types of manual are available, the stock 4-speed and the Getrag 5-speed. For the 4-speed you'll need another driveshaft, the 5-speed will use the shaft you already have. Of course you'll need the clutch pedal, cable, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, throw-out bearing and fork, along with the adjustment stud and lock nut. Oh yeah, the long spring that goes from the fork to the tranny mount. Normally it is a weekend project for the changeover, but that depends on your abilities and equipment. Welcome to the world of Opels, and be very careful of getting Opelitis, and the cure is hard to come by.

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hi welcome to the wonderfull world of opels and poverty some thing we all suffer with an opel
    any questions just ask and you shall recive
    An Eagle may fly high but a Weasel doesnt get sucked into a jet engine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a spare 4-spd if you want it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott McDonald
    Very Nice of you... Ill think about it, Im Not Sure what Im going to do with the engine yet, Possibly doing an engine swap so Im not sure what Trany I will need but Thnaks for offering.

Downloads
    Uploads

One Legged & Shiftless

Welcome to the site. I have a 1972 GT with an auto box.
    The autos were far fewer than the four-speeds and lots have been converted to manuals.

The auto in the GT is a "Trimatic" or GM TH180 which is a good strong trans. It was used in numerous GM cars including some suzukis and many Holdens (in Australia) - also used behind a 3.5 litre V8 in UK Rovers - so it is strong enough for use behind an up graded motor.

The auto box makes the GT a very nice and easy to drive car around town - with a 2.2 or 2.4 litre Opel four cylinder motor it will be quite quick.

Just think long and hard before converting to a 4 or 5-speed - even a different motor, such as the Chevy 3.4 V6, would be awesome (and different!) with an auto in a GT.
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott McDonald
    Scott, What do you want for the 4 speed?

Real Name
    George Rust
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Frank, I'll go one step farther and say welcome to the Texas Opel gang. If you haven't yet, join up at http://www.texasopel.com.
    It's a Yahoo group that pretty much covers Texas meets and parts swapping within Texas. It's a pretty quiet group, but it is the place to go for get together info and such.
    Any way, welcome.

Born to Drive
    73 GT
    Sport suspension, lowered 2", polyurethane bushings, Koni Reds, adjustable pan hard rod, 215/40/16 on 16x7.5" front and 245/35/16 on 16x9" rear ESM wheels, Ported intake, custom cold air intake, sprint exhaust manifold, 2" free flow exhaust, 4-core radiator, Getrag 5-speed, Momo steering wheel, Saks heavy duty clutch, Euro style driving lights, tinted windows, seats from Acura Integra, 3 point retractable seat belts from a '75 Manta, flush mount aircraft style gas cap

Cunning Linguist Site Supporter tekenaar's Avatar
    Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

ArrowGetrag 240 driveshaft length

Quote Originally Posted by namba209
    Francisco, welcome to the site. Swapping out the tranny shouldn't be a problem, two types of manual are available, the stock 4-speed and the Getrag 5-speed. For the 4-speed you'll need another driveshaft, the 5-speed will use the shaft you already have. Of course you'll need the clutch pedal, cable, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, throw-out bearing and fork, along with the adjustment stud and lock nut. Oh yeah, the long spring that goes from the fork to the tranny mount. Normally it is a weekend project for the changeover, but that depends on your abilities and equipment. Welcome to the world of Opels, and be very careful of getting Opelitis, and the cure is hard to come by.
    Not exactly. The A/T driveshaft used in the GT has the correct yoke (part that goes into the trans) but is way too short to use with the 5-speed. The shaft needs to be 9.75" weld-to-weld in length!

1960: '61 Rekord PII 1.7 3S 3.9 '69 Kadett LS 'sprint' 1.9 3A 3.18
    1970: '70 GT 1.9 4S 3.44 '72 GT 2.2SSD 5S 3.44 '72 GT 2.4FI 5S 3.44P
    1970: '73 GT 1.9FI 4S 3.44 '75 1900 1.9FI 4S 3.44
    1980: '85 Bitter SC 3.9FI 5S 3.44P
    2000: '09 Solstice GXP Coupe 2.0 SIDI VVT "Stage 2" Turbo 5S 3.73P

"De inimico non tantum loquaris male, sed cogites."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was just looking at the pictures and it appears the car has an uncracked steering wheel. That is very rare so you might want to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool, Otto, you got me straightened out. Now that brings up a question I have, just how short is the AT driveshaft? My standard GT shaft was 13 and bit longer weld to weld, before I cut it for the V-6 and I'm curious now about the length of the AT driveshaft.

Cunning Linguist Site Supporter tekenaar's Avatar
    Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

QuestionStock GT A/T driveshaft length

Quote Originally Posted by namba209
    Cool, Otto, you got me straightened out. Now that brings up a question I have, just how short is the AT driveshaft? My standard GT shaft was 13 and bit longer weld to weld, before I cut it for the V-6 and I'm curious now about the length of the AT driveshaft.
    I no longer have one to measure but, if memory serves, it was only ~6-7" long weld-to-weld . . . at best! I know for a fact that it's too short though!

1960: '61 Rekord PII 1.7 3S 3.9 '69 Kadett LS 'sprint' 1.9 3A 3.18
    1970: '70 GT 1.9 4S 3.44 '72 GT 2.2SSD 5S 3.44 '72 GT 2.4FI 5S 3.44P
    1970: '73 GT 1.9FI 4S 3.44 '75 1900 1.9FI 4S 3.44
    1980: '85 Bitter SC 3.9FI 5S 3.44P
    2000: '09 Solstice GXP Coupe 2.0 SIDI VVT "Stage 2" Turbo 5S 3.73P

"De inimico non tantum loquaris male, sed cogites."

Real Name
    Jared
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i have one in the back of my truck (in parking lot, in computer lab right now) and i can speak that it may only be 6 -7 inches weld to weld. i was always under impression that a unmodded auto shaft worked too, learn something new everyday, whether or not its from school or not is another question!!!
    previousely owned 8 GTs and 1 manta.

currently own

92 25th anniversary Z28. Ttop, leather, 370CI LSx T56 swap
    407 RWHP, 391 RWTQ, 11.74 @ 121

67 chevy sportvan deluxe....next in line.

73 chevy K-10- plow truck

71 GT, 1.9 4speed

2007 chevy silverado 1500, crewcab, loaded, Canadian limited edition GFX package Daily driver

Downloads
    Uploads
    O.K. guys, that answered the question I had. The driveshaft for the V-6, as you may know is so short it could not be balanced. No problem though, I found out how to fine tune a shaft when we had the GearVendors over/under drive unit put in the motorhome. A standard worm gear hose clamp works wonders.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelenvy
    Frank, I'll go one step farther and say welcome to the Texas Opel gang. If you haven't yet, join up at http://www.texasopel.com.
    Thanks for the welcome and the heads up on the Texas group...Ill Join Up!!

I was just looking at the pictures and it appears the car has an uncracked steering wheel. That is very rare so you might want to protect it.
    .. Ill Take Care of it then, although it is not cracked the Simulated Wood grain is almost rubbed off... but since I don't plan to keep it , it will up for sale later on.

As far as Transmissions and drive shafts... Tanks for the info... Once I get an Idea of what Ill be doing I'll be sure to ask all the appropriate questions. In the Mean time I will be carefully disassembling the GT and taking care of the body work first. I don't plan to see the car running for a year or two.

Thanks Again.... I am Going to Start a Tread on the GT Forum for My First Question...

Francisco, Laredo Texas
    Last edited by FrankDaTank; 01-18-2005 at 04:15 PM.

Real Name
    Jared
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if any of you are wondering about rons comment on the worm gear hose clamp, heres what ya do:

put the hose clamp around the driveshaft and snug it up, not very tightly as the clamp must be able to spin with some resistance. after the clamp is on the shaft, take it for a "normal" drive. when your done, tighten up the clamp and voila, the clamps position themself to help ballance the driveshaft, sometimes you need more than one, sometimes you need a smaller one, best of all atleast it works.
    previousely owned 8 GTs and 1 manta.

currently own

92 25th anniversary Z28. Ttop, leather, 370CI LSx T56 swap
    407 RWHP, 391 RWTQ, 11.74 @ 121

67 chevy sportvan deluxe....next in line.

73 chevy K-10- plow truck

71 GT, 1.9 4speed

2007 chevy silverado 1500, crewcab, loaded, Canadian limited edition GFX package Daily driver

Senior Contributor Killer Texas GT's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Francisco,
    The closest members to you are in San Antonio. If you need any help or parts along the way give me a shout and we should be able to fix you up. Hope you can attend the our Spring Get Together, Unsure at this date where it will be held, but I think we need to have one back in San Antonio again, We had our first Get Together there in '97, if not the Spring then the Fall need some input from you Texas OPEL FREAKS AND ADDICTS.
    rk (prez)

Thread Information