Hello from Toledo !!
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Hello from Toledo !!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello from Toledo !!

Hi , I have just aquired a 1969 Opel GT and am going to need a little help with parts and references and this community looked liked the best place to learn and share my experience with this project. I have so many question's but I'm gonna read and search, ask only when truely stumped. LOL
    I got the car for $300 , it sat in a garage in the north end of town for awhile was able to get it running and out on the road in about 6 hours, felt really good to have that little thing roll over and purred pretty good , so I thought. But all that for a different time , glad to see such a tight niche so well covered by a great bunch of people obviously.
    Thanks
    Logix

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome!

Welcome to the Opel Community - the Worldwide Opel Community
    A '69 GT that cost $300 and was on the road with six hours of work is as good a place to start with GTs as any! You will have us asking questions - like how did you stumble upon such a good deal and are there any more of those in your neighbourhood?
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi ya GTJim , Well I guess it was just karma due to me after a rough year (2004). LOL I hope to get some digital pics tonight and post them, I also would like to run the vin number and find out as much info as possible about this vehicle . For now the car is a project for my son and I , he is only 14 so by the time he can drive it might be worth more than him. LOL Of course he has big ideas from watching TV shows , so I have to keep reminding him all original is the way to go. But with this car I have noticed that there are alot of mods that aren't so noticeable that are actually better to do , especially with the motor , raising compression and other little tricks for more power and smoother delivery of power to rearend. First wanted to make it run as is though , think the cylinders 1 and 2 are fried out , need new plugs before making that decission . It has Autolite 273 in it and I can tell 2 are trash but went to get new plugs and Auto Zone could only cross reference to a champion splitfire , would rather use Bosche platinums . I just need to find out which ones. LOL The champions they would have to order anyway not even in stock, LOL just the first of many hurdles to come.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Vickie and Allen Gage
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Logix,

Welcome to the Opel Community. You have a small, but very active Opel group within 2 hours of you -- Northeast OH/Western PA group. We meet about 4 times a year at our home in Tallmadge, OH. Our next meeting (usually without cars) is Saturday, Feb., 19. (Do a search on NE/OH Western PA Opel for details).

Would be great to have you join us.

Vickie & Allen Gage

1969 Kadett LS Odette Showroom New Original
    1969 GT Omi The Grandmother
    1970 GT Octavia V8 Opel
    1971 GT Opie DESTEC car
    1971 Kadett Wagon Otis Survivor
    1972 GT Olessja Under restoration from being rear-ended
    1973 GT Olivette Awaiting Restoration
    1975 Manta yellowOmaryellow The Bumblebee
    1975 Ascona Sport Wagon: Otto Colonel Mustard
    1975 Ascona Sedan (1900) yellowOrlandoyellow
    1975 Ascona Sedan (1900) Oliver - "Olli"
    2008 SolsticeyellowOliviayellow

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the group! My car is a project for my son and I as well. Good move! it has provided us time together and the opportunity to TALK. Like me I think you will find the investment in the car more than you could ever hope for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome Logix,
    You've got a great project for you and your son. When he has sweat equity and pride in the car him and his dad refurbished, he'll drive it more carefully. He'll be safer driving the GT than he would be in a bigger car that was simply given to him.

My son & I did the same thing. He learned more than just mechanics, he learned lessons that have helped him excel in college, life, and the 101st Airborne.

Its tempting to just do the work yourself, try not to; even if it means watching him screw it up. Be there to help him back on track when he finally asks.

Try not to boss, he's 14, be his consultant. He'll end up with a good car, and a lot more.
    "Squealing tires are happy tires" - The Stig

Downloads
    Uploads

Sparkplugs

The Bosch plug for that car is a W7BC for the copper core. The old Champion number for that plug was L87Y, you might be able to cross that to a new number 325, I think. The old AC number was 42FS.

I'd run the copper core plug if you do a lot of in town driving or you think that there could be a fouling problem. Get a Pertronix or Crane ignition module ($65-120) and a Bosch 0012 ($25) coil. That should help your ignition situation.

Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks everybody for the warm welcome .

Thanks David for the tips on the plugs just might go get them now. LOL

I sure aprreciate the kind words of advice also , his mother and I have been apart for awhile now and I need to interact more with him , I certainly don't want to push the boy , he carries a 4.2 grade average and wrestles along with football. I will admit at 14 years old and 6' 3 " it's funny watching him get in and out of the car. LOL Ounce he's in he's comfy he say's LOL. Tight fit. Well back to work for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tight fit.

When I had my GT, I was a bit more compact (6'0", 195). He must have to fold himself up pretty good to get in that car.

Spend as much time with your son as you can and pass along all the good things about you. This is an important time for him and he will form the things that will make a man. He needs all the counsel you can give and a good example. I have a 16 year old cousin who's making noises like a man now. It's fun to watch him. We have great hopes for him!

Good luck with the GT and on your son.

Downloads
    Uploads

Initial Needs

You see what sort of people you and your son have fallen in amoung now.
    We all have a delightful malaise known as Opelitis. The only cure is more Opels!

One of the things you will find invaluable is a FSM (Factory Service Manual)
    There is one on eBay at the moment (not mine!):

Item # 7952251818 1969 Buick Opel Kadett & GT Shop Service Repair Manual
    that is specifically for your year of GT.

From time to time a modern manual turns up there too - though it is still in print and may be available from your local bookshop:

Opel GT Owners Workshop Manual OWN 727 by Brookland Books
    ISBN number 1 870642 864

Any other questions do get swiftly answered here too.

At the moment I am making up a list of GT VIN numbers and matching Engine numbers so if you do choose to list them we can determine approximately when your GT was built (this should be recorded on a sticker by the door - if it is still there).

BTW: GTs love Bosch plugs - same German heritage! The standard plug fitment is Bosch W200 T35 or AC 43 FO - nice copper core ones are probably better.....
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the numbers

Well let's see

on the dash Chassis # 941726918

on the door GVWR -- 2557 GAWR -- PRT 1301 Rear -- 1256

Passenger car 772805842 I think the last 2 numbers were imprinted in door due to being punched when originally put on . That section of tag is missing

Under the hood Adam Opel GT
    Opel GT-A-l
    Front axle 590
    Rear axle 520
    Max 1160
    Rear Axle 520
    1 DD 751

Well thats all the info execp motor not sure where it's at yet. LOL

No bosch in stock the W7BC part number crossed to a Denso plug so I tried it, runs the same idles around 200 - 2500 RPM . Stalls suddennly when drops below that. I am thinking engine compression low so stalling out had a VW Scirocco did same thing.

I didn't even realize it was German made until looking at the tags , I am a big audi fan and have had several, working on them is second nature , but this doesn't have any electronics to run it so I'm going to have to brush up on my mechanical skills to trouble shoot this car, (nothing to plug into... LOL)

Downloads
    Uploads

Idle

It may have a big vacuum leak and the carb is way out of adjustment. Does it still have the Solex or did it get replaced by a Weber?

Check the compression on the cylinders should be higher than 120-130 psi all the way across. Also, the distributor advance mechanism may be shot.

You'll get more feedback, I'm sure. Someone will hit on the a few of the correct solutions.

Take it easy.

Thread Information