Family project
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Family project

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Family project

Good day all, this is my first post to this group. I am an old tired mechaninc and my son is soon to get his liscence. I gave him the same option his sisters got and he wanted a car that was a little different. He hit on the OpelGT. He found one in Ga. on this website and we made a trip to see it. The owners were wonderfull people and we purchased the car and now he will work within his budget to make it a daily driver to school. It is a really neat little car and I am not that familiar with them but we will be posting many questions and pics as the project unfolds. I look forward to a wonderfull relationship with all of you and as you can see my screen name is old_wrench, I can be reached at [email protected] if I may be of any service to you. As I mentioned I am on old mechanic, but I have seen a good deal and learned from some of the best. I do not deal in bodywork, but I can hold my own in other areas. I wish to pass what little I have learned on to the next generation so my son and I will be pressing on with this project. Oh, he goes by the screen name young_wrench, go figure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Welcome! I made my GT a project with my son as well. But, I've found out that no matter what all the family has gotten involved.

Good Luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to both Wrenches! I hope your GT will give you both some priceless togetherness, that is extremely important...
    We old mechanics can figure anything out, but I must admit the Opel way of doing things has stumped me a few times! Whenever that happens, come here first, there are some real experts available, some outright geniuses, and semi-professional comedians when all else fails!
    Just be sure to search the forums for answers on your topic before starting a new thread to ask the question, as the moderators get a little edgy about that! You can make an old thread that is close to your topic "come alive" again by just posting a reply to it.
    Hope to see some pictures from you, check out the "Garage" section and jump in!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Two years ago we bought a 73 GT for just the same reason. My son, almost 17, drives the car everyday......school, work, paintball, etc...and it has proven to be quite reliable. We have gone thru quite a bit of it....initially I made sure the brakes were completely redone, shocks, installed updated seatbelts and changed out the broken down seats with recaros. Since then we have redone the engine, torque tube , front spring/suspension bushings and assorted other items and all it really needs is a fresh coat of paint (hopefully before this summers OMC picnic in Calif.). Needless to say there is nothing like it in the school parking lot.....and he has had folks offering to buy it or telling him how they or a family member/friend used to own one. Have fun and I think you'll be surprised how easy it is to work on and how available (and reasonable) parts are for it (get familiar with Ebay and Opel GT Source). You've come to the right place, the people on this site are knowledgable, helpful and patient.

Welcome
    Next stop the Twilight Zone.....

1973 Opel GT

Previously:
    1971 Opel GT
    1973 Opel Manta
    1977 Datsun 280Z
    1993 Nissan 300ZX

Thread Information