1973 Opel GT (our new baby)
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 1973 Opel GT (our new baby)

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking1973 Opel GT (our new baby)

Hey there. Shawn- Strider1970 and I, Shannon- Arwen1969..his wife. Just became the proud owners of a 1973 Opel GT. Anyway, we have a few issues and I will name them and hopefully someone out there can help us with how to resolve them. Please forgive me in advance if my comments seem like from a Typical female, but I am going off what I can see or know of within last 24 hours of having the car. Shawn may post later to correct anything in error if it is wrong.

First is the wiring harness. Suggestions for the best harness to use?

Second, the car will not start without using a flathead screwdriver? Does run beautifully otherwise. Diagnosis?

Steering column is stripped since previous owner let some idiot who claimed to know what he was doing play with it and stripped the main bolt for where the steering wheel goes and now it is on there wobbly. ARGH! (that person needs to be beaten with a rubber mallet, duh) I was a little nervous as I followed him home.

The hood is another issue. The front latch does not work as the clasp piece does not work as the sheetmetal is messed up. It kind of just sits on the car, so no freeway or highway driving for her yet. Suggestions for repairing it?

I figured best to come on here and ask before becoming "an idiot" and trying to repair stuff without knowing where to begin and inflicting unnecessary pain to the car or ourselves.

Now on to the Headlights. Gonna go read the posts on that part.
    Thanks for your help.
    Shannon

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Arwen1969
    Hey there. Shawn- Strider1970 and I, Shannon- Arwen1969..his wife. Just became the proud owners of a 1973 Opel GT. Anyway, we have a few issues and I will name them and hopefully someone out there can help us with how to resolve them. Please forgive me in advance if my comments seem like from a Typical female, but I am going off what I can see or know of within last 24 hours of having the car. Shawn may post later to correct anything in error if it is wrong.
    Welcome. First things first; we try to reserve the "GT Forum" to questions and facts strictly pertaining to that model. Such as "..how many GT's were built in 1972..." . Questions of a technical nature are best asked in the Technical Forums, and then under the specific headings, which follows the 1973 and later Factory Service Manuals (FSM's). Which is the first thing every new Opel Owner needs to buy. I moved this thread to the "Introductions" Forum.

First is the wiring harness. Suggestions for the best harness to use?
    Several threads exist in the "Wiring Diagrams" Forum. Use the "Search" function, and you will find pretty much all you need. But the short answer is that there are no pre-made wiring harnesses available specific to the GT. Charles Goin is selling a couple types of generic aftermarket harnesses, so if you really need a complete harness, that is an option. But usually (unless your car has suffered a catastrophic melt-down or a totally ignorant PO (Previous Owner) has hacked the harness beyond recognition, the main thing to do is to replace the headlight wiring inside the existing loom. Again, all this has been covered in the "GT Headlights" Forum and elsewhere.

Second, the car will not start without using a flathead screwdriver? Does run beautifully otherwise. Diagnosis?
    Usually a bad ignition switch. If it is simply "weak", a relay (search for "Otto-Start") can be installed to take the load off the switch contacts, but if the contacts are badly burned, a new switch (or rebuild the old) is required. Many just install a "contact switch" under the dash (a la some of the newer sports cars, or like really old cars!) that only supplies power to the solenoid. But again, use the search function...

Steering column is stripped since previous owner let some idiot who claimed to know what he was doing play with it and stripped the main bolt for where the steering wheel goes and now it is on there wobbly. ARGH! (that person needs to be beaten with a rubber mallet, duh) I was a little nervous as I followed him home.
    I think a steel mallet is a better choice...
    I know that this was covered before somewhere. I think the two solutions are a new steering column (problematic at best), or to drill and tap a hole in the shaft, so that a bolt takes the place of the threaded shaft and nut.

The hood is another issue. The front latch does not work as the clasp piece does not work as the sheet metal is messed up. It kind of just sits on the car, so no freeway or highway driving for her yet. Suggestions for repairing it?
    Hard to say without seeing the problem. If the sheet metal can be straightened, and the cable and latch can be made to work, just a bit of time and patience will solve it. But some folks use the hood pins when the latch is beyond repair. The good news is that the hood will NOT fly up in the air since it hinges forward, but it will bounce around. So hood pins will help that.

Anyways, welcome and good luck...

Thread Information