A "Brand New'' 73 Gt w/ 106 miles on it
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: A "Brand New'' 73 Gt w/ 106 miles on it

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

A "Brand New'' 73 Gt with 106 miles on it

Hi.
    My Name is Don and I live in So Cal. I just bought a brand new, that is right, a brand new red Opel Gt with 106 miles on it. It has been on display in the Show Room of a Buick dealer in Northern California for the past 32 years. We had it trailored to Southern California last week. All the fluids had to be changed and we put new tires on as the original Dunlop tires were cracked on the side walls. I had a 1973 red Opel Gt many years ago. My wife and I took our Honeymoon in it so this is a great retro car fo us. Even though the car is new it took a little abuse all those years on the show room floor. There are some door pings and a few chips in the paint. We plan on having the paint worked on. The interior is absolute mint condition. I plan on showing the car at the Southern California Opel meet this coming August.
    Regards,
    Don

PS: I have added some photos as requested. In the last photo Jim from USA Opel is handing over the keys to my wife....Mmmm....There is no way I am going to let her drive it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fly Boy; 05-23-2005 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Add Photos

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw that car on the internet some where not long ago. Didn't know it was for sale. Glad to know that it went to some one that can appriciate it. Welcome to the madness, however for you it won't be quite as frustrating

Downloads
    Uploads

Seen the car at Taylor Motors, Reddiingc CA.

Well guess they finally got there $17,000.00 The car is in mint condition and is Red with a black interior and used to belong to the Harrah's collection in Vegas, been mentioned here before. It was said it was stored in a metal shed/building for some years after Taylor motor's bought it.

Do they still have the restored Black one there for $9,000.00?

The question with the one you bought is if it's driven will the engine seals begin to leak bad after 32 yrs. of no lubrication? Also the more it's driven it will loose it's value. Congradulations, you should definately take first prize on the most stock original.
    Regards,
    Rick

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Guys for the replys.
    The car did come from Taylor Motors. They have a black one also, but it was repainted from it's original yellow color. It also had 30 odd thousand miles on it. I am not sure of the asking price. I did not realize that this car was in the Harrah's collection. There was no mention of that. The main engine seal is dry at this time.
    I did not buy this car for an investment. I bought it out of the love of sports cars. For the last 19 years my daily driver has been Porches and Vettes. But the Opel Gt still holds a special place in my heart. From an artistic design approach the Gt's style and lines are as pretty as it gets. It was the first sports car I ever drove. I will put on maybe a thousand miles a year. If it hurts the monatary value of the car then so be it. I bought this car to enjoy.
    I will also enjoy tinkering with it and getting it back to mint condition.
    The one mechcanical problem the car has is the smell of gas fumes in the passenger compatment. I beleive the Gas tank air vent hose(s) may be cracked or disconnected allowing the gas fumes in. I will investigate that this weekend.
    Regards,
    Don

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don, congrats on getting a very cherry GT. To upload pic on this site, within the threads is simple, and in the gallery just as easy. First off the pics need to be resized to no more that 600 pixels, largest dimension, or approximately 5" X 7". To load them in a thread, click on the reply button and scroll down to where you see manage attachments. Click on the browse button and go to the file where the pics are, double click on the file name and they wll load. You can load two at a time on the screen, up to 5 total pics per thread. In the member's gallery, just go to your screen name "Fly Boy" and follow the directions. It's just that easy. Hope to see you and the GT at OMC.

No....its not a Buick.... yellaopelgt's Avatar
    Real Name
    Joe
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs upnow thats the right way to do it!!!

To pay much more for a car, that brand spank'in new.... was under $3000 to begin with, and have the attitude that it wont be a trailer queen. You sir,get the thumbs up in my book! Have fun with this car, it'll never happen again!!!!Congrats! I bought my car from the original owner 10 years ago and I think he told me he paid $2800. I bought mine with 48k and pretty much paid as much as he did!
    Joe Z
    1970 GT with 54 k.(today)

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Ron for the clear directions on uploading photos.

Joe...from my perspective I think I got a deal. The way I look at it is a brand new Miata is around $25K. The Honda is S2000 runs around $33K. Even thought the cost Opel GT was around $3450 in 1973, the cost in 2005, if it was still in production, would probably run between 25 and 30 thousand. Where else can I find a brand new sports car for the cost I paid and have the head turning appeal that the GT has? I have owned a lot of nice cars over the years but can't remember when I have been more fired about a car.

Regards,
    Don

Real Name
    Brett
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just wanted to chime in and thank you for sharing. Tis a real beaut... And I love the fact that you don't really have to do a thing to get it to original! Doubt there are many more, if any, even close to that in existence. Will be a great head turner and show car. I hope one day to get the chance to see it.
    Happy Opeling!

No....its not a Buick.... yellaopelgt's Avatar
    Real Name
    Joe
    Downloads
    Uploads
    TOOO COOOOOL....... I agree with you, if you love the car, regardless of of the the cost. The looks that you will get, and when people ask what it is and how "new" it really is, it will give you a smile everyday you drive it! Thats priceless!!!! Everyone of us that drives an Opel gets a look every day,Super car you have there!!!! yeah.......... I'm a little jealous!!!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats Don, You found a once in a life find for a true GT fan. I agree about the price. It was a fair price taking in all considerations and you are absolutely right...There is not too many cars out there like the GT that stirs the interest and gets so much attention. I hope my 72 looks as nice when I finish her. Nice ride...Keep her close!!!!

Real Name
    Brett
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have often wondered what an Opel like that would bring in an auction like Barrett-Jackson (not that someone would want to part with one) But would be interesting to see what pristine Opel could fetch on the open market. Have always felt that they were under-valued. Hopefully soon I'll have one to bring back to original. Am in the process of trying to track down my last '73.
    Keep us posted on your show sched and how it fares.

Downloads
    Uploads

Salseman told me.

When I went to see the cars in the Taylor motors showroom the salesman there told me the story about it being bought from the Harah's collection many years ago, then was stored for sometime. Everyone else I heard about your car seems to think it's been in the showroom at Taylors for years. I've lived in the Redding area since about 1979 and never heard about or seen the car in their showroom. I think the Harah's thing sounds more like it, unless it was just a sales pitch. If it was actioned off from Harah's I guess Jay Leno doesn't share our Love for the GT or he'd of snatched it up for sure!

I think the Black one there at $9,000 should at least have the paint chips in front touched up so it's not so obvious it was yellow.

Two of the salesmen from Taylors were at Kool April Nites car show and wandered over to veiw my 72 GT and told me they had a brand new 73 at their dealership , they both seemed very surprised to see mine at the show.
    Regards,
    Rick

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did not see the black GT In the Show room. I bought the new one from photos onlys. The report that I got on the balck one was that their were road chips on the car showing the yellow paint. I was also told that their was 30 odd thousand miles on the car. It does sound like this would be a great car for a daily driver. With a little touch up paint you would have a GT in top condition.

As a newbie on the website, I have been reading many of the treads here. I see that their are a lot of project cars. My hats off to those who are going through the process of restoring these cars. I admire your patience, skill and determination to see a project through. In some cases it is almost like building a boat or airplane in your garage from scratch. I don't know if I would have what it takes to pull it off. Again, my hat is off to you guys.
    Regards,
    Don
    Last edited by Fly Boy; 05-27-2005 at 01:20 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great, can you all just imagine what it would be like just to sit in the drivers seat and dream of what it was like back many years ago to own a "new Opel G.T.? Memories.
    Maw&PawOpel

Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads

waves

Don: welcome. You got a great deal.I got a question that maybe you can only answer.Good to see car will get appreciated and fixed up a wee bit.

1-when you drive a porsche or vette do other people wave at you? If so are they just other porsche /vette drivers or are they drivers of other makes?

2-when you gas you car up...do people come up to you and say " nice ride" or tell stories about their porsche /vette or their parents Porsche/ vette?

3-when go go to get your car parts/shop.and return a year later...do people say "oh, you are the porche/vette guy?"

i really dont know the answer to these questions. but when you drive the gt here in the midwest..this is at least a weekly occurance and I I love it.Its the worlds friendliest car.
    Celeste: 1917cc ,Getrag ,Big valves,ported,ISKY cam on solids,Opel forged rods,9.52 compression,total seal gapless,oil dam,RB gasket mod., DCOE side drafts,sprint,pertronix,SACHS clutch,OGTS & Kadette sway bars,no oil leaks. Big brakes. Avatars Photos Carlisle 2010 by Jennie V.Thank you's to Bruce Butler and Gabe Sanchez

Driven twice to Carlisle 2,351 miles RT successfully, broke down on first trip

Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Boy
    The one mechcanical problem the car has is the smell of gas fumes in the passenger compatment. I beleive the Gas tank air vent hose(s) may be cracked or disconnected allowing the gas fumes in. I will investigate that this weekend.
    Yep, just be careful removing the back package tray. Might find it easier to remove the passenger seat to do it. Less chance of damage to the seats when you get the tray out.

Did you keep the original dunlop tires? I would get a set of nice original rims repainted and put the new tires on them and reinstall the dunlops on the original rims and keep them sotred. That way when you take the car to concours shows you will have the "correct" tires and rims.

Thats what Tom does with his low mileage 1.1L GT. It would be very cool to see those two cars next to each other. One of the first next to one of the last.

Anyway, congrats and hope to see the car in person soon. Now if I could only find a Manta that low of mileage..

Charles
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dean
    [QUOTE=opeldean]Don: welcome. You got a great deal.I got a question that maybe you can only answer.Good to see car will get appreciated and fixed up a wee bit.

1-when you drive a porsche or vette do other people wave at you? If so are they just other porsche /vette drivers or are they drivers of other makes?

Well, I don't have any porches now but the answer is that very few porche drivers wave. Maybe they were too busy on their cell phones. I do drive a vette as my daily car and most vette drivers do wave. Remember, vette's are just Opel Gt's on steroids.

2-when you gas you car up...do people come up to you and say " nice ride" or tell stories about their porsche /vette or their parents Porsche/ vette?

No to #2

3-when go go to get your car parts/shop.and return a year later...do people say "oh, you are the porche/vette guy?"
    No to number 3.

Charles,
    Thanks for your advice On the gas venting.

I did fix the gas tank vent today and I was lucky that I did not have to remove the rear deck assembly. The hose had broken off were it attaches to the flange on the gas filler neck. I could see it with a flash light. I removed the spare tire and spare tire holding bracket. I purchased a new hose at the marine hardware store and installed it between the gas filler neck and the Tee. It was quite uncomfortable geting my 190 Lbs in the back and extending my hand as far as I could reach to get to the problem but well worth the effort.
    Regards,
    Don
    Last edited by Fly Boy; 05-27-2005 at 11:08 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don, I hate to be a harbringer of bad news, but, if one hose broke, the rest may not be too far behind. And to access them the spare tire floor has to come out to get to the one on the top right front of the tank. If what broke on yours was the original plastic tubing, they will fail before too much longer. When I replaced my original vent tubing, as I was removing them, they all crumbled. Also you may want to note the position of the "T" fittings and make sure they got back in the same position and direction. Just a bit of advice.

Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Boy
    Charles,
    Thanks for your advice On the gas venting.

I did fix the gas tank vent today and I was lucky that I did not have to remove the rear deck assembly. The hose had broken off were it attaches to the flange on the gas filler neck. I could see it with a flash light. I removed the spare tire and spare tire holding bracket. I purchased a new hose at the marine hardware store and installed it between the gas filler neck and the Tee. It was quite uncomfortable geting my 190 Lbs in the back and extending my hand as far as I could reach to get to the problem but well worth the effort.
    Regards,
    Don
    I fully understand the 190 lbs thing.. being 225. Thats why I am partial to Mantas and not GTs

Thats also why I recommend pulling the front seats out before doing the project. It makes pulling the spare tire shelf a lot easier and the last thing you want to do is damage the seats or anything else for that matter.

BTW, I assume you are going to replace anything in the engine compartment that is rubber (I.E. The coolant hoses, belts, etc.. ) at minimum buy spare and save them .

Charles
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs