NEWBIE!! I want this opel!!
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEWBIE!! I want this opel!!

Downloads
    Uploads

TalkingNEWBIE!! I want this opel!!

Glad to see theres enthuisiests for these amazing little machines!! so heres my story:
    My girlfriends friends mother has a 75 gt sitting in her carport.. for the last 11 years.. the accelorator cable broke, they mended it, and it would not pass emmisions back in 1994.. by means of a high idle.. so she has sat there ever since.. I have rarely seen these, but they always delight me when I do.. I am a mechanic, and know I can figure this out.

so moms tells me i can have it for 300 bucks after fixing her daughters 65 stanger, a coolant hose and starter bendix later, the gt is all mine. one catch, her husband baught it for her as a college grad gift back in 82, so he is all up tight about it, being he never met me before, not hearing a word about it, so on.. so I get him all straight and can now start my beutifull opel adventure..

specs on the car, (as far as I have seen at least, for clutter around it in their carport)
    they say its a 75
    it says "opel fuel injected" as the rear emblem
    red car, virtually no rust
    looks like a 2-litre FI opel engine, but they insist its a "racing engine"
    custom job on the interior, not TOO bad of one.

SO MY Q'S TO ALL:
    Should I begin my quest(i will regardless)
    was there a stock gt that was FI???
    would this dizzy have points?? high comp "racing motor" maybe??
    parts?? probably non-existant right??
    chance of getting a 16v head??
    i am excited beyond words people!!
    again, just thaught i would get some opel love from you all to get me stoked about this... will probably trailer her up on sat...
    to another sunny afternoon gone night!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last year they were made was '73 with a 1.9L. If you have an FI with a larger motor it is from a '75 or newer of a different model. Search the site and you will find access to parts and companies that sell them like Opel GT source in CA.

Welcome to the madness and show some pics!

Downloads
    Uploads
    It does not sound like a GT. GT's did not have FI and were not made in 75. It sounds like a Manta, I am sure Gene would know. Photos would help on indentifing. With the FI and the 2.0L eng that is a prize unto it self.

Good luck with the father

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

An odball???

I am absolutely positive it is a gt... But being that they stopped production in 73, I am not so sure whats going on... your saying that they NEVER built a FI GT??? Like I say, the rear emblem says opel on top, fuel injection below... There is definantaly no mistaking the luscious curves of a gt.. dont get me wrong, I'm not that ignorant, just my first gt... I still dont know the exact year.. I am sure soon to find out, towing her home tomorrow.. and as for pops, he even vaccumed it out for me!!! what a turn-around for that guy.. will update after further inspection tomorrow!! peace

Downloads
    Uploads
    The VIN could reveal the year. They made the GT's from 68-73. 1.9l and 1.1l. The 1.9l was of course more popular. Opel continued to send Opels over to the US, but no GT's after 73. One of the reasons being the new 5mph bumper height requirement in 74(?).

What probably happened in the case of your GT was they removed the carb and added a FI system from a 75 Opel. The 2.2 injection valve cover is a popular addon too. (but not from a GT, that was not an option.) Although, MANY readers from the site here have converted their GT's to FI and even single and twin sidedraft carbs for more HP. There's a lot of fun to be added to these cars. Good luck with it!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

word

so I will be sure to find out soon. So federal way?? Are there many opelers in wa?? hoping to get to look at some fine opels some day here.. will update you all soon. with pics from it's grave and beyond! peace

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gtmerk
    Are there many opelers in wa??
    Not in WA, but up in BC.

Though I have yet to get a GT :o.

Congrats on the new car though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    gtmerk-

I didn't notice you were in Lynnwood. Cool. Yea, I'm south Fed Way. Literally on the corner of 1st and 348th. I know of 3 others in Federal Way alone. But there are MANY Opelers in WA. Check the Tacoma Opel Meet out in July. We usually get 30-50 cars out. Mostly GT's, but some really nice Manta's and Kadetts too.

Check out the SCCA races this weekend at SIR in Auburn. I'll have my "Conrero" GT there. (not racing, just watching). I think Trent will be there too from Bonney Lake. He has a GT race car he's building. He's not driving it yet, but may be starting it up for the first time next week.

~kyle

Downloads
    Uploads

good action

right on! I look forward to meeting up soon enough! I am getting stoked for around two aclock, the opel will be on the way home... as far as meets go, I will be sure to hit up the opel meet in tacoma!! hopefully be up and running by then as well.
    Good to hear theres alot of BC opelers!! Our neighbors to the north have always been a great bunch! even with my last addiction, 87 gti 16v, I got lots of love from the cats up in vancouver!! looking forward to seeing you all soon enough!
    I will be posting pics of the opel ressurection up here soon enough, Ive always wanted to document one of my projects, but never had a digi-cam before. Peace. enjoy the heat out there! Im sure the track in Aubern will be smoldering! ha-enjoy

Downloads
    Uploads

Its Home!!!

SHES HOME!!!!
    and in really good shape... for a 35 year old opel!!! its a 71, and looks to have fat stock wheels??? they are stamped opel... the gas tank smells like laquer, but she turns over with the flick of a key!! of course someone decided to sit on the nose and open countless doors into it while she slept, but it is overall a good catch if you ask me!! maybe someone can ID the motor??? all pics in my gallery, will write soon, the gf is on my back to go get some foods... after playin with the car.. really bummed about the dash as well.. are all gt window cranks off-set from either door?? hope to see her on the rode soon!! peace
    Last edited by gtmerk; 05-29-2005 at 04:23 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Our neighbors to the north have always been a great bunch! even with my last addiction, 87 gti 16v, I got lots of love from the cats up in vancouver!!
    Have you signed up to www.vwdov.ca? Use me - GT Style - as a reference.

Downloads
    Uploads

looks great!!!

the motor appears to be a stock 1.9L although they can be bored out into a bigger motor, but keep the stock look. as for the nose panel, it looks like it would pop right out with a little work... you have one heck of a find.. nice Fi set up.. although the brake booster hose in the way.. hope you enjoy bringing her back to life.. and i know you'll enjoy driving her...
    {)BILLY(} & The 71' GT
    73 manta luxus
    real cars don't power the front wheels...... they lift 'em

Downloads
    Uploads
    so most likely someone just added a FI setup then? Im gonna take a suction cup to the nose tomorrow.. and for sure I feel this opelitis, this disease slowly creepin in the veins already I know this will be one of the best rides yet!! wondering if those wide rims were something stock or what?? they are opel rims, but a option?
    btw gt style, never heard of the vwdoc.. but checked it out and they are pretty well repped!! will be sure to sign up!!
    hope to be turnin heads soon enough!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like somebody had a 75 they were using for parts. 75 rims and fuel injected is a real tip off. I'd be real curious if it had bigger rotors and calipers as well.

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Im gonna take a suction cup to the nose tomorrow..
    as the nose is single skin you can open the hood and hit it with the palm of the hand ,it gives a little more control unless its a gorilla doing it
    also you can get a slap hammer in (a length of flat bar 2" wide and 1/8" thick with a crank so you can hold it ) this will let you work on it with a large flat hitting surface so you dont get hammer marks in the nose
    An Eagle may fly high but a Weasel doesnt get sucked into a jet engine.

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The wheels are stock 75 that have been professionally widened.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I WANT THAT OPEL

Virtually rust free with FI for $300? I hate you.

Just kidding, seriously though thats a good find. Looks like it has a solid body, don't skimp on the paint job if you re-paint it.

BTW if you cleaned it up and got it running good that GT would prob go for at least $4500 on eBay.
    Chris
    Loveland, Ohio

Real Name
    Jared
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thats a really great car at a really great price. you'll have a hard time finding tires for those rims tho, not many tires left for 13 inch rims that are 7 inches wide or more, i've only found 1 set wide enough so far for my factory widened wheels, 235 55 for 79 bucks a piece.
    previousely owned 8 GTs and 1 manta.

currently own

92 25th anniversary Z28. Ttop, leather, 370CI LSx T56 swap
    407 RWHP, 391 RWTQ, 11.74 @ 121

67 chevy sportvan deluxe....next in line.

73 chevy K-10- plow truck

71 GT, 1.9 4speed

2007 chevy silverado 1500, crewcab, loaded, Canadian limited edition GFX package Daily driver

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is one hell of a deal. The efi alone goes for $300 or so.
    1970 Opel GT 1.9
    1980 Moto Guzzi V50
    2000 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo
    2000 KTM 200 exc STOLEN

Downloads
    Uploads

good to hear!

I knew I needed to get this GT the first time I saw it.. so the FI is probably put on the 71 stock motor?? they stressed that it was a "racing" engine, maybe a larger litre engine?? cammed or bored maybe?? will the numbers off the block tell me anything?? the moms was set on GIVING it to a army rep who had to go to japan for a couple of months, but I buttered them up before he returned couldnt let it pass me up.. so the wheels are pro widened stock.. the chrome is pretty tattered, think it would be worth plating them again? I may just blast them and spray chrome for the time being maybe... Ill check the rotors&drums soon enough. How pointless would my search for a dash be? I figure it would be impossible for some reason.. Ill keep you all posted on my journey. btw- good to hear i COULD sell it for a grand profit... but I got her for good I believe!! peace
    Last edited by gtmerk; 05-29-2005 at 02:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information