I just got my first Opel
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I just got my first Opel

Downloads
    Uploads

I just got my first Opel

Hi everyone,
    I am new to the club my name is Mike
    I recieved my first opel a few days ago for free
    Its a 1969 GT
    with the 1.1 liter twin solex carbs and a 4 speed.
    She is really rusted out. needs new floors, nose, rockers, a lot
    I am currently rebuilding the motor I am finsihing takeing it out toamrow I just took the cylinder head off today. It is gray with red interior and I look forward to restoring back to origonl
    I alos look forward to being a memeber of your club
    Thank you
    Mike,
    Your Civic may have 1.6 Liters, But My Mountain Dew has 2.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome Mike, BTW just signing in makes you a member of this forum. The official clubs aren't free but not outa sight either. You just missed the really big eastern US Opel meet at Carlisle, PA. Check out the countdown box on the right of the home page for other meets coming up. A 69 GT with a 1.1 and duals is indeed an early, original GT. Now that you have it and start working on it, enjoy, but be forewarned you can get Opelitis. That is a nasty, kinda malady, that for some strange reason causes Opels to multiply on your property. I have been extremely fortunate that it hasn't made it to the very corner of the Southwest, yet. For any questions you may have, kindly do a search on the site, your question may have been asked and responded to many times. All it takes is use the search button, type in a word or phrase and all the threads/posts that contain the word/phrase will be shown to you. Then if you still have a question, by all means ask. Folks here are more than happy to give you advice and suggestions. Oh and for sure, do include pics or your project, I'm sure there are those that would enjoy seeing a real honest to goodness 69 Opel GT.

Moderator Site Supporter neuropel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Todd Kirby
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Trout
    Hi everyone,
    I am new to the club my name is Mike
    I recieved my first opel a few days ago for free
    Its a 1969 GT
    with the 1.1 liter twin solex carbs and a 4 speed.
    She is really rusted out. needs new floors, nose, rockers, a lot
    I am currently rebuilding the motor I am finsihing takeing it out toamrow I just took the cylinder head off today. It is gray with red interior and I look forward to restoring back to origonl
    I alos look forward to being a memeber of your club
    Thank you
    Mike,
    Hello Mike! I'm right in your back yard!
    I live in Spring Church, PA. Congrats on the GT. I don't have or know much related to the 1.1s, but you're welcome to contact me at [email protected] and we'll meet up sometime.
    Paddle faster...I hear banjo music!
    1967 Kadett L Rallye 1.1L

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

1969 Opel GT with 1.1 Liter

I have a 1969 Opel GT that is 98% all original with the 1.1 Liter engine with progressive duel Solex carbs and only 17,094 original miles pulling 49 horsepower off the rear wheels from the Dyno Test truck at the Import / Kit Car Show at Carlisle, PA last year and she got very high marks from three judges at the Standards of Excellence judging at the Carlisle Import and Kit Car Show this year. Walter Foxtree also has a 1969 1.1 Liter just like mine that is jade green exterior and buckskin interior - Walter is my hero because he has driven his cross country and he is taking his car to the next level.

If you have any questions or need pictures just call me. I am not mechanically qualified but I am a fair layman with the history and the specifications related to my car. Feel free to contact me anytime. MY personal email address is tadkins1"at"cinci.rr.com or call me at 513-236-5005 (cell phone). I also have some NOS parts that I may or may not part with but who knows. I am committed to staying as all original as possible.

MY car has a name and it is : MS. OPEL

Pictures are on the site in the gallery under the code name of ......... greenopel gt

Regards,

Tom Adkins
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Last edited by kwilford; 05-28-2005 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Removed "@" to waylay the search spiders...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone, My 69 Is going back to being all original again, It has potential I have the title al the paperwork from when it was brand new. All the manuals and books the factory spare and jack and bottle of lead additive were included. It was last running 3 years ago and had very low compression so i am rebuilding the engine. It was rebuilt 10 years ago but we believe the rings went bad. Its a very interesting car to work on I must say. A few people told me I have a rare one and I was pretty suprised as I am jsut learning more about these cars. I have a CRX back home that is mind blowing abd I love it. But this opel is my first old project car that I own and at free I could not beat it. It has 187000 miles on it, and it shows. Like I said its extremly rusted out. But I will bring her all back to life again.
    Like I said thanks again guys and thanks for info I hope to be talking to you all soon
    Mike,
    Your Civic may have 1.6 Liters, But My Mountain Dew has 2.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike, in response to our discussion last nite in the chat room, I talked to Jim M. of Opel USA/Opels Forever, at the Fallbrook, CA Vintage Car Show today and he does have a lot of the shear bolts that go below the instrument panel to hold the steering column in place. Do a web search and you'll find his phone number. Or you may find his number using the search feature on this site, I don't know. HTH.

Thread Information