Rally Manta getting started
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Rally Manta getting started

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rally Manta getting started

Hey folks,

I am a dyed-in-the-wool VW guy, but I can across a 80,000 mile all original 74 Manta that I got from a guy who bought it new. Was a fellow in my autocross region who had run it in the 70's and done some autocrossing and road rallying in it, and kept it in decent/driver condition. Southern car all its life so minimal rust if you don't count the battery tray which I understand is common. The price was right so I just had to have it- it called to me! haha.

I am planning on making this car a vintage-class rally car. Been doing some web-cruising and these cars have a solid rally pedigree and are supposedly well balanced- good for going sideways frequently.

Rallybob's helping me out with some stuff to get this thing off on the right foot.

This is my first Opel and I'm pretty interested in it already, even though having yet to drive it. Car was sitting for 4 years so I'm having the gas tank cleaned out properly, new lines run, and rebuild the carb before we try to crank her up. If the motor runs decently it will stay mobile and I'll putt it around and Rallycross it until I can build a stout motor and install a cage, which will probably take a while.

I'll have to see if I can legally run a 2.2 or 2.4 motor within the spirit or letter of the law. Could you plunk in a 2.2 back in 1975? Most of the vintage rally guys go by "You can do anything that they COULD have done back then" so I'll do some research. If I can't build a bigger motor then I'll do up the 1.9 with bigger carb, cam, valves, header, limited slip rear, and some manifold work via Bob.

Any suggestions or goddies for a vintage-class rally car- please let me know.

anyone have pics/specs on a 74-era Manta in Rallytrim? I thought I read that Opel had a factory team back then but can't remember where I read that.
    Don't want to build a replica or anything, just curious as to any specs or how some 74 Mantas looked back when they were rallied in the 70's so mine can look period-correct.

Thanks,
    John
    http://www.teamtac.org/
    Facebook : TVR-SCCA (North Bama/ South Central TN) Rallycross
    Crow Mountain Hillclimb, RIP

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    John,
    First, welcome to the crew! I see that you are from Bama (Huntsville area). We are starting to get a good group together here in Atlanta and the southeast area.

Second, If the rule is "You can do anything that they COULD have done back then" then you can have a 2.4 motor. Check this link out http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/oana/tech/24l.pdf

As far as the other stuff I will keep an eye out for you. BTW what car is yours on treesandturtles??

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    john they had a team when they used the manta B ( dont know if they used the manta A which you got in the states ) do a search here and on your browser for manta 400 and ascona 400 then dont get your hopes up the engines are a fortune
    An Eagle may fly high but a Weasel doesnt get sucked into a jet engine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowhammer
    anyone have pics/specs on a 74-era Manta in Rallytrim? I thought I read that Opel had a factory team back then but can't remember where I read that.
    Don't want to build a replica or anything, just curious as to any specs or how some 74 Mantas looked back when they were rallied in the 70's so mine can look period-correct.

Thanks,
    John
    Try this pic, just found it today:

http://www.rallyalmanac.com/galleryl...%20Bend%20Bash

Last car on the page is a Manta from that era.

I happen to have the D.O.T. (Dealer Opel Team) preparation guide (a zerox anyway) from the mid-70's which gives all the part numbers and descriptions of the rally parts, plus the preparation techniques to make the cars rally ready. I could make another copy if needed....

Bob

Senior Contributor
    Real Name
    Travis Woodbury
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very cool pic Bob. Any thoughts on the black things sticking out the center of the right front wheel? Those can't be the wheel studs, can they?

-Travis

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i think they were to fit sword blades to so you could get through the spectators

had a look on that site and see a morris marina coupe listed as an austin ,did they ever sell them in the states ?
    a friend of mine had a factory works MG marina with the rover 3.5 V8 what a hoot it was it could return an axle to its components during a 3 mile stage , even MG fitted a ford axle in the end

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis
    Very cool pic Bob. Any thoughts on the black things sticking out the center of the right front wheel? Those can't be the wheel studs, can they?

-Travis
    Probably the rally computer (usually a Halda back in that era). They were cable driven back then, no wheel sensors like today.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

rm

Thanks for the welcome...

Bob, that's a nice picture, please send anything else you come across my way...

Rick- I have a 80 Scirocco with a Corrado 1800cc supercharged motor stuffed in, and a 87 Jetta non-sunroof coupe that I autocross. In the process of selling a 16v 88 Scirocco this week that should give me some Jack to get the Manta going. I've had the Manta for months now and I'm chomping at the bit to get her going.

This project has been taking up all my time: http://www.crowmountainhillclimb.org/
    you ATL folks (and any other SE opel folks) should come check this event out, it's gonna be something special. Probably not this year, but the Manta will be prepped for next year to battle the Miatas..

I was the Navigator for a couple rallys in Chattanooga for a guy with a 77 Celica... 4 banger, carb, 4 speed, RWD... so the Manta compares somewhat to that and I'm going to have to convert myself to drive a RWD, but looking forward to it. The Celica was called the "Blue Streak" kinda as a joke cause we were so slow. Well, the Manta is Blue so it might just be "Blue Streak II"... since the Celica is RIP= we rolled it Here's a short video of a smack, we rolled the car at the rally following this, we didn't learn our lesson haha.
    http://www.atg-online.org/Videos/Blu...The%20Tree.mpg

Anyway, here's the "before" pictures....
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/zzzphczzz/my_photos

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

blue streak

you might want to "right-click, save-as" on the video....

John

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    nice vid and a good idea "slow down for spectaters to get good pics "

Thread Information