what have i gotten into...
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: what have i gotten into...

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

what have i gotten into...

an interesting father's day. my family presented me with a repair manual and a 1971 opel gt. i know almost nothing about cars so this was a shock, to say the least. they know i've been reading the site for a while (owned a gt in 1980) out of nostalgia and thought it was time i gave a shot at restoration even though i only understand about half the terms used in the forums. the car is in reasonably good condition rust-wise. the valve cover leaks oil like crazy and i'm not sure if there are any other leaks cause it's so bad. i think it has a weber carb and crane ignition (reading the site does help us newbies a little) but beats me how to adjust either of those items. time to use the search function. the interior is a disaster with knobs missing, nonfunctional switches and some gauges, and seats from hell. now's my chance to see what opelgtsource is like, i guess. maybe they did this to have easy father's day presents (and birthday and christmas)...

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the party . Where in FLa do you live?
    There are some good folks down there that maybe able to help you out (My dad is one in Frostproof). I am in Atlanta and make the drive down to FLA a couple of times a year and have a great deal of parts that could help you out, (so get a list together).

Take a look around the various threads on what to do on restoring the GT. As far as the terms do not feel bad I am still learning some of the terms myself, do not be afraid to ask a question (only do it after you search the site first - it keeps the modorators blood PSI down

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by benncojr
    As far as the terms do not feel bad
    Ah yes, how many of us have turned to our european friends to ask 'what the heck they call this part that I can't find anywhere in the manual'?

Wait until you're talking to an interested party about your Opel and they get confused because by now you know the terms and use them - at least here in the states they get confused.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ging whats confusing about , bonnets sills boots and wings
    hood,rockers fenders and trunk easy when you call them by there right names
    good thing haynes manuals come with a glossary in the front to swop the names in your head
    An Eagle may fly high but a Weasel doesnt get sucked into a jet engine.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    what's even more confusing is the manual they got me isn't purely for gt so some of the pictures have no bearing on reality. some of the sections don't appear to have any info on the gt either but i guess i'm supposed to extrapolate. i've had a chance to fiddle with the wiring behind the dash and managed to get the windshield wipers to turn on...they have one speed....slooooooow. not sure if it's my wiring or the motor.

benncojr, i'm in bradenton, on the gulf coast.

back to wiring.

Real Name
    Thom Tate
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rsefczek
    what's even more confusing is the manual they got me isn't purely for gt so some of the pictures have no bearing on reality. some of the sections don't appear to have any info on the gt either but i guess i'm supposed to extrapolate. i've had a chance to fiddle with the wiring behind the dash and managed to get the windshield wipers to turn on...they have one speed....slooooooow. not sure if it's my wiring or the motor.

benncojr, i'm in bradenton, on the gulf coast.

back to wiring.

WELCOME!!!! Safe bet its both. BUT..... since you are restoring the car, you'll be replacing them both anyway so.... there ya go.

I'd bet wiring first though.
    Thom - Ich liebe mein GT

I've had my 71 GT since I was 3 when my father brought it home, and I'll have it till the day I die!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wiring is one of the first things to get fixed in the resoration process. There is a gentlemen in Stuart FL that sells updated wiring diagrams that are a lot easer to read then the one in the manual. He goes by the user name of DESTEC. You could contact him and he would sell you the diagram. I have one and it is great!!

Real Name
    Thom Tate
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I concur. They are excellent diagrams. They're blown up and laminated.

Also, Charles Goin can sell you an EZWire21 wiring harness for under 150 bucks delivered.
    Last edited by Thom71GT; 06-20-2005 at 03:47 PM.
    Thom - Ich liebe mein GT

I've had my 71 GT since I was 3 when my father brought it home, and I'll have it till the day I die!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom71GT
    Also, Bob Legere can sell you an EZWire21 wiring harness for under 150 bucks delivered.
    Charles Goin - actually. Too much wrestling with front suspensions does that to you!
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Real Name
    Thom Tate
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Opps you're right, I corrected it. I was just talking to somone else about something that Bob did and had his name on the brain while I was writing.

Thanks
    Thom - Ich liebe mein GT

Thread Information