I just fell in love!!
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just fell in love!!

Downloads
    Uploads

I just fell in love!!

Hello all... A drive last Saturday to take my daughter to summer camp is the reason I am here today. And I'm glad I found this site! There is a ton of info here!!

Back to why I'm here... During my drive I happen to drive past this 1969 Opel GT. I could not believe the condition it was in!! For a car 36 years old, it looked like a gem... When I was a teen, there was only 1 GT in my hometown. It was gorgeous, painted white and seemed to be hooked up for racing. I loved that car!!! I have always loved Vettes and naturally fell in love with the styling of the Opel GT... I never had a chance to own one...

Needless to say I stopped on the drive back to check it out again and took the attched pic with my camera phone... I wrote the phone number down, but have not been able to speak to anyone yet. I guess the owners are away... I want this car!!

My question is... Does that green look like the original green paint for a 1969? The asking price is $3500... Is that reasonable? Or should I be able to get it for a better price?... And I live about 110 miles from where this GT is located, if I purchase it, would it be OK to drive that kind of distance if it has been off the road for a little while?

Thanks...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    that looks like the jade green that some gt's were painted.

price all depends on what has been done to the car and how recently. and how much the owner really wants to sell it. the body seems to look good which is a major plus, sometimes its better to pay more to get a good one then to buy the cheapest and try to fix its many problems.

HTH,

Adam

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Adam, I appreciate the info...

Also, did Opel ever offer the rear spoiler as an option? Or is the rear spoiler installed on this GT aftermarket? I only ask because looking at the photo gallery there does not seem to be many GT's with rear spoilers...

Thanks again...

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Duck Tails

The 'spoiler' is something that has been added - I don't think they existed in 1969! - well maybe on Dodges ...... !
    GTs just had nice neat little "duck tails" all carefully worked out for air flow in the Stutgart University wind tunnel.
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Real Name
    Vickie and Allen Gage
    Downloads
    Uploads
    After looking at your pictures and seeing that it has had a spoiler added, this probably means it has had some repaint and bodywork..so look carefully to make sure it was done well and that all underlying rust problems were properly taken care of.

Vickie

1969 Kadett LS Odette Showroom New Original
    1969 GT Omi The Grandmother
    1970 GT Octavia V8 Opel
    1971 GT Opie DESTEC car
    1971 Kadett Wagon Otis Survivor
    1972 GT Olessja Under restoration from being rear-ended
    1973 GT Olivette Awaiting Restoration
    1975 Manta yellowOmaryellow The Bumblebee
    1975 Ascona Sport Wagon: Otto Colonel Mustard
    1975 Ascona Sedan (1900) yellowOrlandoyellow
    1975 Ascona Sedan (1900) Oliver - "Olli"
    2008 SolsticeyellowOliviayellow

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you all... It looks like I will be taking a closer look to check the quality of the work done... I will also be sure to check which engine (1.1 or 1.9) and how many miles it has... I wish I remembered to write down the VIN to do a Carfax as well...

Either way, I am hoping to be a GT owner soon...

Your Noble Friend ;-) G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

carfax

As of my knowledge, Carfax is for newer cars only.
    The asking price seems a good base for negotiations. Of course, assuming that it is in the good condition as it looks.
    I wanna second Vickie, check out about body work and re-painting. It is always dangerous to buy a car that was painted in the last 12 month before buying it. I speak out of experience... but if the paint is at least a year old, you will already see where it was done wrong.
    Enjoy Opeling!

Dieter

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The car looks nice from your picture.

The side view mirror and wheels are not stock, if that matters to you. If you decide to buy it, there are many people here, including myself, who have a lot of parts. I have a set of stock wheels for the 69-70 vintage GT's if you decided to go that route.

Where in NJ are you located? What area is the car located in? If you are serious about buying it, there are other Opel owners in NJ/Eastern PA who might tag along to see it and possibly get a 2nd set of eyes to inspect it.
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Downloads
    Uploads

New Jersey You Say...

What Exit?

50 years and counting. GT back on the Road 10/21/2014!

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    uh oh, here come the jokes.

You from Jersey? I'm from Jersey!(old SNL skit)

BTW, I'm not from Jersey

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm from Central Jersey.. Woodbridge area... Exit 11 on the NJ Turnpike...

The GT is located in Pennsylvania... I'm not sure what town it is in, but it is on the way to Douglassville... I will be driving back through there on Saturday to pick up my daughter from camp and hopefully make a deal on that GT...

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    PM me with your phone #. I'm only 20 min from the Douglassville area.

If you type Douglassville, PA into Mapquest, you will see Salfordville to the North East. I might be able to visit the GT with you.

Real Name
    Thom Tate
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is the original color that mine was. Hated it. But.. to each his own. From the one pic, the car looks to be in good shape.
    Thom - Ich liebe mein GT

I've had my 71 GT since I was 3 when my father brought it home, and I'll have it till the day I die!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    It does look nice and well worth looking into. Take a magnet and a friend on the next trip.

Jim there was a factory air deflector as an aftermarket item. It was on the nose to channel air either more into or away from the front nostrils. I imagine away from where it was placed. I've only seen a couple of them and the info is really vague.

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarican
    My question is... Does that green look like the original green paint for a 1969? The asking price is $3500... Is that reasonable? Or should I be able to get it for a better price?... And I live about 110 miles from where this GT is located, if I purchase it, would it be OK to drive that kind of distance if it has been off the road for a little while?
    Thanks...
    Looks promising.
    As far as price goes, the best way to get a feel for the "going rate" is to see what other comparable cars are currently fetching. Quite a few nice GTs being offered on this site (check the ad board). Also 10! Gts now on Ebay, with prices ranging from a few hundred $ to >$5K. Look it over carefully, and don't allow yourself to be too much in love with a specific car. I learned the hard way that "paint and prose" can make any car look and sound good.
    Hope it turns out to be great!
    Ron in Indy

Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A solid GT that runs well, has no major paint flaws and the interior may show signs of wear but overall be in good condition (Maybe a minor crack in the dash, or wear on the seats/carpet). Is running around $3500.

Anything less than $3000 and your looking at a car that will be a project car (although they all will need attention).

Check for these main things:

Rust on undercarriage from sitting up. Many cars that look good on top are not so good below.

Smell of gas in the interior (Minor repair, but you will have to replace the gas vent return lines).

Headlight operation

Engine bay, clean and orderly and its been well maintained, oil around the base of the distributor and bottom and front of the timing cover and it has a typical leak that has to be repaired.

Engine running.. smooth idle or a high idle? HIgh idle is a sign of vacuum leaks and someone has over tuned the carb to compensate. Again not a major repair.

Test drive, and does the rer end or transmission whine? Check and make sure the car shifts well.. a loud whine from the tranny or rear diff is a sign of impending bearing failure, although if its from the diff and the rear diff is covered in oil / diff llube, then it just maybe low on fluid. Any "crunching of the gears" can be a sign of worn syncros, along with obviously the car jumping out of gear.

Check and see if it has a Solex or Weber. If a Solex, you can almost be assured the rest of the car is bone stock from a mechanical standpoint. The solex is a great carb when it is running well adn thier are no vaccum leaks. But once you start having problems with them, they are a pain in the ass and its best to get a Weber 32/36 to replace it.

Opel GT Source is a great place online to look and see what is available for the car. He reproduces a lot ofparts for the car and imports even more.

But basically for $3500 you should get a goodcar that is sunday driveable and gets looks at the gas station. It will also be good enough for local "show and shine" car shows, typically the local charity kind where judging is at a minimum.

What you probably won't get, is a perfect car that won't need a number of maintence items to be a reliable daily driver. Nor will it be a points judging car show participant.

From what I can see looking at the car from the picture. If it runs as good as it looks in teh picture (be it a fuzzy one and pictures online can lie at times). Its definately a $3500 if not more car.

Add to the list of "customized" items. Its had its Opel logo removed from teh nose, so you know the nose has had at least some work done to it. Ditto on the doors, it has non-factory mirrors. All the items though seem to be minor ones that wouldnt keep you from restoring it to stock if thats what you wanted to do.

Personally I like the british racing green. One more thing if its a 69' in British racing Green, then it should have a tan interior, which includes a rare feature in GTs, a tan dash. Which was only on a few select 69 and 70 models.

Hope that helps.
    Charles
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are still going this weekend, give me a call on my cell at 267-640-1419 or my house at 610-287-5863 if you want a 2nd pair of eyes looking at it. I won't be back on OGT.com until Monday.

Print out this thread so you have some references with you so you know what to look for.

Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just to give you an idea of prices, I just bought my 72 GT for $3350 down from $3800. It is in excellent condition tho seats are rough and the starter just crapped out. Otherwise, all is well with the beauty. 44,000 actual miles.
    Jo

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you all...

Quote Originally Posted by GoinManta
    A solid GT that runs well, has no major paint flaws and the interior may show signs of wear but overall be in good condition (Maybe a minor crack in the dash, or wear on the seats/carpet). Is running around $3500.

Anything less than $3000 and your looking at a car that will be a project car (although they all will need attention).

Check for these main things:

Rust on undercarriage from sitting up. Many cars that look good on top are not so good below.

Smell of gas in the interior (Minor repair, but you will have to replace the gas vent return lines).

Headlight operation

Engine bay, clean and orderly and its been well maintained, oil around the base of the distributor and bottom and front of the timing cover and it has a typical leak that has to be repaired.

Engine running.. smooth idle or a high idle? HIgh idle is a sign of vacuum leaks and someone has over tuned the carb to compensate. Again not a major repair.

Test drive, and does the rer end or transmission whine? Check and make sure the car shifts well.. a loud whine from the tranny or rear diff is a sign of impending bearing failure, although if its from the diff and the rear diff is covered in oil / diff llube, then it just maybe low on fluid. Any "crunching of the gears" can be a sign of worn syncros, along with obviously the car jumping out of gear.

Check and see if it has a Solex or Weber. If a Solex, you can almost be assured the rest of the car is bone stock from a mechanical standpoint. The solex is a great carb when it is running well adn thier are no vaccum leaks. But once you start having problems with them, they are a pain in the ass and its best to get a Weber 32/36 to replace it.

Opel GT Source is a great place online to look and see what is available for the car. He reproduces a lot ofparts for the car and imports even more.

But basically for $3500 you should get a goodcar that is sunday driveable and gets looks at the gas station. It will also be good enough for local "show and shine" car shows, typically the local charity kind where judging is at a minimum.

What you probably won't get, is a perfect car that won't need a number of maintence items to be a reliable daily driver. Nor will it be a points judging car show participant.

From what I can see looking at the car from the picture. If it runs as good as it looks in teh picture (be it a fuzzy one and pictures online can lie at times). Its definately a $3500 if not more car.

Add to the list of "customized" items. Its had its Opel logo removed from teh nose, so you know the nose has had at least some work done to it. Ditto on the doors, it has non-factory mirrors. All the items though seem to be minor ones that wouldnt keep you from restoring it to stock if thats what you wanted to do.

Personally I like the british racing green. One more thing if its a 69' in British racing Green, then it should have a tan interior, which includes a rare feature in GTs, a tan dash. Which was only on a few select 69 and 70 models.

Hope that helps.
    Charles
    What an fantastic response! I had a feeling I would get some pretty good info here but I never thought I would get something like this! This is an incredible response!! Thank you very much GoinManta...

I will be driving out tomorrow with the mother in law, which when I look back on my life will probably rank right above root canal!! but I will be sure to have this, as well as all the other responses to this thread printed out and tucked under my arm when I go out for round 2... Hopefully everything works out...

Thank you for all the responses. I feel like I stumbled onto a goldmine finding this web board. A goldmine of great info and great people...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to add to his comments about this site: I too am impressed with how much help there is here! As well as all the "things" you can do on this site--all the info available, advice, etc. I have never used a forum before and my son hooked me up here as soon as I bought the GT. Boy, was he right. This site is the very best! vEry professional and well maintained. Thank you to everyone responsible who put this Forum together. I'm the one who benefits from all your knowledge and I can only hope that someday I might have something to contribute of value to a fellow Opeler.
    Cheers!
    jo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information