Has anyone seen my GT?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Has anyone seen my GT?

Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone seen my GT?

I was wondering if anyone has seen my last GT, or maybe the guy who bought it is on the list.
    I sold it on ebay last year and never heard back from the guy, he flew to cincy and drove it back to Utah.
    It was yellow with black along the rockers and the tail panel was black, it also had a 5 speed. I used to have a website about it with pictures but I lost my host.
    I was kinda just wondering if the guy ever made it home
    Chris
    Loveland, Ohio

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads

Chris Blust is back

Hi Chris,

I see you are back at the "Opel" thing again. I thought you had sold them all, including your assorted parts cars and soon-to-be convertibles, and were concentrating on getting your Engineering degree?

I moved this post to the "Introductions" section. Can you take a moment, and tell the group about yourself. It's neat to see a young guy such as yourself invloved in these classic Opels, and you did a very nice job on that '73, from what I could see on the photo's.
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Downloads
    Uploads
    ok then.............

Right now I am 22 years old, I attend Purdue University, and I am majoring in Civil Engineering. I enjoy working on Opels(obviously), Building and flying RC airplanes, I also have a 76' Jeep CJ-5 that I am slowly restoring, and I have a rock band at Purdue where I am the singer and one of two guitar players.

I got started in opels when I was 16, I grew up working on motorcycles and tractors and I wanted to get into restoring cars. I had considered doing a MG but there were too many of them around my town. One day I found a picture of a 70 GT that my father had. He bought it brand new in 70' and in three years put over 100,000 miles on it. In fact the first night that he met my mom he took her outside to check out his cool new car..........needless to say she was impressed............
    anyway I digress,
    I bought my first opel at 16, it was from michigan and was totally rusted, but I knew nothing about body work and I thought that GT's were super rare. Once I started the body work I found that the frame was rotted and not just the body.
    So I found my second opel, This paticular gt was going to be set up a dragster and it was stripped of all of its parts........I was fortunate enough to find it in time and "save it"
    It was wrecked in the rear right corner so I cut out that sectoin and grafted in a new piece from the first car that I bought. It took me about 9 months of sanding and welding through the cold winter with no heat in my barn.
    When I was a senior in highschool I finished the body work and construced my own paint booth and learned to paint.
    In the mean time I bought three other opels, one for parts, the other to construce a convertible, and the other for a daily driver.
    I used mainly parts from the first car that I bought to construct the second car. Fortunatly the car from michigan had a great interior with a crack free dash.
    I put the engine from the michigan car in the newly restored body and drove it for about 3 months. But that engine was plagued by oil pan leaks(use alunimin pans!) so I pulled an engine out of one of the other cars and bored it out .20 over, had it acid dipped, got new flat top pistons, had the head reworked, installed a sprint manifold, a 32/36 weber, and the OGTS 5-speed. I had also totally rebuilt the brakes and undercoated the belly pan.
    I finshed it right after I graduated. Then it went into storage as I began attending Purdue University. My second year at school I drove it for a few months but I only put a few miles on it around campus.
    Last year which was my junior year my father was diagnosed with cancer so to ofset the high cost of out of state tuition and to get the new guitar amp that I wanted I sold it on ebay. Unfortunaly my fater passed away due to the cancer just last week at the age of 52.
    I held on to the other 4 GT's that I had and had planned to restore them but I never had the time to go home and my grandpa now wanted his barn back after I had taken it over with opels for the past 5 years. So I recently sold those, but I have another opel on the way, I will be picking it up next weekend and I have many plans for it. It is going to be my dream opel HEHE...
    here is what I plan to do to it.

1. First off repaint it, it is in good shape but it needs a paint job, almost 0 rust to speak of. I will be painting it either black or RED.

2. Reapolster it, it has a tan interior which I like.

3. Install 2" spring lowering kit, all wheel disk brakes, and get a set of 15" ROH snyper rims.

4. Build the Leagre hybrid 2.4L engine with Getrag, Holley 500 carb, lightened flywheel and 2" exhaust.

5. Finally install A/C!

Well thats it for now, when I get my website back up I will let all of you know. I intend to document the restoration like I did with my first project.

ps-sorry I dont have a spell check
    Chris
    Loveland, Ohio

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're just a hop skip and a jump from Chicago...I'm wondering if you'll have time to advise a newbie. I'm now about where you where when you were 16 (on my GT's that is) and I'm learning as I go. If you're ever in Chicago give a holler!

Jason

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just posted the finished pictures of the car that I was talking about in my original post.
    Chris
    Loveland, Ohio

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just got my website back up and running. I just did some minor updates and put some pictures of my new car on there. Over the next few days I will be compleatly changing the look of the site.
    Here is the link

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~blustc
    Chris
    Loveland, Ohio

Downloads
    Uploads
    I finally located my first GT!!! the guy who bought it drove it to utah and he hasent had time to drive it so he is selling it. To bad I dont have the money or I would buy it back! If you guys are interested in a good gt you can check it out on my website(the link is above)
    Chris
    Loveland, Ohio

Downloads
    Uploads
    Chris,

I know that this thread was started several months ago (I came across it while doing my homework on a Sprint Manifold), but I wanted to chime in with a few comments regarding your introduction, starting with i find it comical how many of us here have felt this strange magnetism towards Opels over the years. Second, I partially blame you (this is a good thing) for my recent GT purchase. Read my introduction here for details. https://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthr...&threadid=1618

While I was in the inquisitive phase of my recent car hunt (before my father "laughed at me"), which resulted in a GT, I came across your homepage, read your stories and plans, and knew that this was something that I needed to be a part of.

Keep it unique!
    Keep it Blitzed

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs upYellow stripped Opel leaving town

Chris,
    This is Tom Adkins here in Cincinnati with the 1969 Opel GT (1.1 Liter). We have communicated in the past. I believe I actually saw your former Opel leaving town last year. I also remember either the owner posting some trip information or others along the way reporting various sightings. I think it made it to Utah!

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I also lost my Dad last year but I keep his spirit alive by just showing my Opel GT at various events.

Email me if you are in the Loveland area this summer working on your new Opel and I'll come out and learn something from you.

Best Regards,

Tom

Thread Information