New to Opel's
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New to Opel's

Downloads
    Uploads

New to Opel's

Hi, I have inherited a 1973 Opel GT from my mother in law. My father in law passed away 7 years ago (before i married my wife), and he had restored 2 Opels. He left the '73 GT in the garage with a rebuilt engine (never started) and completely sanded ready to prime. Have not seen the interior yet, but have been told it was in need of a lot of work. It's up on jack stands, but i have really not looked at the underside. (didn't know she was going to give it to me beacuse her son has no interest in it.)I have never been around this type of car but have seen them in the late 70's when i started driving. I am an average body man but better than average mechanic. Just wanted to get a feel from this forum about getting deep into restoring this car. So be prepared for lots of question in the near future. I have read many great threads here and can tell you guys know what your doing with these cars.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hi and welcome to the site
    afraid theres a malady that goes with these cars called Opelitis and it only takes 1 exposure to catch and theres no known cure except bankcruptcy

enjoy the site and feel free to ask anything you need to know

the site has a very good search engine that can find threads with most questions and answers in but theres always something new to ask
    An Eagle may fly high but a Weasel doesnt get sucked into a jet engine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

Well after looking at some pic's here and the net, i'm gonna be in big trouble with my finance manager (wife). I'm gonna get a closer look at it this weekend and take some pic's and post them and see if there are any specific things that can be seen and commented on. There are suppose to be all the books and manuals for it. After posting i hope to get some feed back and quirks about this car. And hope someone can let me know if i even need to spend the money. But other than that, I love blind projects.

Bo

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the site.

Baz is right about the Opelitis... Your talking pics already... see that's a bad sign your already infected! My Opelitis has been in remission... like pneumonia you get over it but It's always with ya just waiting for weakness .. to strike !

You poor soul... pray you don't drive it. sell it me quick or you'll be doomed like the rest of us. Uh Oh I think my condition is getting worse !!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome! Glad to have another member in MS. Sounds like you have a good start and it would not take much to get it going. Let me know if I can help.

When it is running we should get together.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Where im MS do you live?
    Buy it. Build it. :banghead: Drive it. The rest is easy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Opel update

I finally got to get up close and personal with the inherited Opel. It's a '69 not a '73 and the motor has been rebuilt from the ground up, I just have to put a new water pump on it. Does anyone know how i can run the VIN? The body has one and the dash shows a different number and I want to know if this is the original motor. Interior will have to be redone completely.

Thanks
    Bo

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Mows
    I finally got to get up close and personal with the inherited Opel. It's a '69 not a '73 and the motor has been rebuilt from the ground up, I just have to put a new water pump on it. Does anyone know how i can run the VIN? The body has one and the dash shows a different number and I want to know if this is the original motor. Interior will have to be redone completely.
    Thanks
    Bo
    What numbers are they? If you post them, we can tell you what year it is for sure (well, ALMOST for sure).

The "body" has a number on the radiator cross member, but that is not connected to the VIN in any way. The VIN is in three places on virtually every GT:

1) on the body plate under the hood, passenger side plenum, an aluminum stamped plate which also has the paint and interior colour codes and maximum axle and vehicle loads

2) on the dash, drivers side, a simple aluminum strip the same colour as the dash (or are they all black, as I only have a black dash) with just the VIN

3) on the driver's door, embossed into the plastic "build" sticker, which also shows the vehicle build date

There is no way to cross reference the VIN to the engine number or vice versa. Opel didn't keep those records. But the VIN number does indicate the year, although even that can get a bit fuzzy what with different perspectives as to build date versus model year.

HTH
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Downloads
    Uploads

Answers from Opel

I contacted Opel Public Relations via Cees in Australia who had a freind in Holland who knew someone at Russelheim who got the build date and original engine number for me from Opel ....... so they must still have such records somewhere ... just a bit difficult to find. I supplied the VIN number for my car and they were able to come up with the rest of the details.
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Downloads
    Uploads

VIN's

The Number on the passenger side under hood is:

Opel GT/A #941775029 This is also on the Title.

Dash: 772505581

And the motor: 19S 0311649.

I did not see the number over the radiator. Wasn't looking that hard

I attached a few pic's here.

Bo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Jared
    Downloads
    Uploads
    sweeeet! body looked straight atleast, inside the head really does indicate its a rebuilt engine, too clean for one thats been driven. looks like it already has the weber carb too!!! find a doner car with nice interior and you got a easy project i'd think

if not mistaken, the vins classify the car as a 1970, and the dashpad would be from a 1971.

on the engine, look ontop of the head, drivers side and you will see a few set of numbers. there will be a 2 digit number, where those 2 numbers represent the year of the head, which may be a good indicator of what it is. you can also look at the lifters to see if they are solids or hydraulics.
    previousely owned 8 GTs and 1 manta.

currently own

92 25th anniversary Z28. Ttop, leather, 370CI LSx T56 swap
    407 RWHP, 391 RWTQ, 11.74 @ 121

67 chevy sportvan deluxe....next in line.

73 chevy K-10- plow truck

71 GT, 1.9 4speed

2007 chevy silverado 1500, crewcab, loaded, Canadian limited edition GFX package Daily driver

Downloads
    Uploads
    What is the quickest way to tell ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are hydraulic lifters. And this engine was fired up briefly after rebuild. It still has clean oil on top of the rockers. I will try to get #'s off the head but in my previous post the block # is 19s 0311649

Downloads
    Uploads

Winkweber Info

I am new to weber carb's. can anyone tell from this pic, what model this is? Also, where can i get tech and rebulid info on this carb. (see previos post on 1 other pic)

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bo;
    It's a weber 32/36 down draft, the common replacement for the stock solex. There are several sites for getting info on webers, this is one. www.racetep.com is another www.piercemanifolds.com is another.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Downloads
    Uploads

Update on my '69

I've posted several times asking questions about my new project in the last month or so, but i guess i could post some updates on my progress. With the information and tips from the members and this site, i have learned alot. Anyway, The motor has been running (not timed perfecly yet). Then i totally gutted the inside (as seen in my gallery). The brakes have been totally replaced/reworked. I have rewired it from scratch with the help from JJ's print (i have lots of wire sources). Welded up all the floor pan and misc rust spots. Now getting ready to sand and primer. I'm going to repair the dash with tricks from a vinyl repair friend. I have new carpet ( anyone have the dimensions from a precut carpet kit?) if not i'm just gonna wing it. Measure twice, cut once right? I guess i'm gonna find a headliner to buy. That looks pretty tricky to do. I have the vinyl to redo all the inside panels and tire cover. Fuel tank has been cleaned. (actually had to cut the thing open to get the crap out of 9 years of having 7 gallons of gas in it.) Have replaced all fuel lines and put in an electric pump. Just bought 6 cans of undercoating. Other than that, i still got till spring to roll it out. OH NO, i just set a deadline!!

Bo

Real Name
    Thom Tate
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Mows
    Well after looking at some pic's here and the net, i'm gonna be in big trouble with my finance manager (wife). I'm gonna get a closer look at it this weekend and take some pic's and post them and see if there are any specific things that can be seen and commented on. There are suppose to be all the books and manuals for it. After posting i hope to get some feed back and quirks about this car. And hope someone can let me know if i even need to spend the money. But other than that, I love blind projects.

Bo
    Hi and welcome. I've got the perfect excuse for you to get around the finance manager. All you have to say is.. "It's for your father. He would of wanted this." You'll get sign off everytime.
    Thom - Ich liebe mein GT

I've had my 71 GT since I was 3 when my father brought it home, and I'll have it till the day I die!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your right, that worked for the first 10 or 20 things i bought. Now she says, "can't you just make the part you need"? and her mom just keeps re-assuring her by saying, "I'm glad it's you having to pay for those things now". HAHA. Now that I have gotten into Opel's it's like the NASCAR commercials "How bad have you got it"?

Wwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Thread Information