Newbie here
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Newbie here

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Newbie here

Hello All,

After a long search for a rust free car, I bought a '71 GT. Had it shipped from Carson City NV to Maryland. No cherry, but not a spec of rust anywhere. Still has green paint on the underbody. Seats rough, and cracked dash, but overal just what I needed.

Engine was damaged. Replacement engine and 4 speed trans are still in Carson City, btw. Got a deal on shipping, but carrier could not bring that stuff.

Plans are to build a stout street/strip car with a turbo'd 4 cylinder engine, T5 or Tremec 5 speed and so on. Aim is to end up with something that's tastefully done, with carpet, etc, that'll go mid to low 10s. I figure that I need 400 crank horse to do it. Will have frame rails, full cage, drag car style 4 link, narrowed 12 bolt rear with 10" rear rubber. Still looking at engine options. 2.3 Ford, 2.4 Dodge and 4G63 Mitsu are on my short list. I'm a metal worker by trade, so the fabrication end is not a big deal. No hurry to choose engine, as I must finish my current project first. It's an oddball: Twin turbo'd 511" Cadillac powered chevy pickup. Anyone wants to have a look at it, here's a link.

http://public.fotki.com/larouchedem/tttruck_project

Thanks.
    Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    to have to do all that to the body u would be better off getting a car that isnt mint on the body. no sense in ruining one of the few mint cars.
    Adam

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    spdkilz02,

Although the car is rust-free, it's far from mint. As I see it, I'm not ruining anything, as I hope to build something that all but an extremist purist type could appreciate. I hope that I didn't get off on the wrong foot here.
    Regards,
    Dave

]to have to do all that to the body u would be better off getting a car that isnt mint on the body. no sense in ruining one of the few mint cars.[/QUOTE]

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    not to worry dave we have purists , customisers and tuning freaks here
    An Eagle may fly high but a Weasel doesnt get sucked into a jet engine.

Real Name
    Thom Tate
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Im just a plain ol freak

Gene.................... shut-up
    Thom - Ich liebe mein GT

I've had my 71 GT since I was 3 when my father brought it home, and I'll have it till the day I die!!!!

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Who, what!?!?
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, Dave, I have to ask, did you do all the work on the pickup?
    You know how people will say, "we're building a new house." Well that hardly means they are sawing 2x4s and setting trusses, they sip martinis while a contractor pounds nails...
    I guess you already suspect you raised some eyebrows with your description of your GT goals! I could say "here we go again" but I've said that too many times... I got some of this, too and some when I chose to make a circle track race car out of a GT. I started with junk and shared progress with our friends here and even started getting approval and encouragement! Then a bunch of awesome help and donated parts!! Wow!!!
    I think you'll be just fine doing whatever you want to your GT, show us pictures and give us details, do a nice job like on the pickup and most people here will be okay. Oh- well, as long as you finish it. If it ends up languishing in the weeds the skeptics have ammo to fire at the next wild one.
    Anything you need to know about GTs is right here. What you learn that isn't here and might be useful to others, please share!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dave, I want to echo what Jeff said and speedkilz hinted at. We are not all purists here as Jeff can relate, nor am I, stuffing a 3.4 V6/T-5 in my GT, the big thing is starting to tear the car apart and not finishing it. There have been a fair amount of folks that have done just that, then they want to off load it here or on E-Bay. Major problem with that is, the person that gets the car usually ends up here on this site looking for help, so we get the double whammy. Seeing/hearing about one of our beloved Opels getting cut up, then off loaded, then trying to help the person that got it, put in back on the road. There's no problem with most of us with you doing your project, in fact as Jeff said, you need advice or technical clarity, here we are. Just finish the project. Like I should talk, this month starts the 5th year I've been working on my project, but it's in the assembly stages now. Good luck with yours and I sure hope it doesn't take you as long as I've been on mine. Nice looking PU BTW.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    baz,

Thanks.

Thom,

Is there a larger pic of your car anywhere? Looks good.

Jeff,

An Opel GT circle track racer is odd, but cool.

off-topic: I did all of the fabrication/welding on the truck, but not the paint work. The rear frame is 2 x 3 x .1875". Cut the bed sides and bed floor, shortened them [and wheelbase] 9.75". and TIG welded back together. Narrowed the Impala rear. Built the engine and trans [switch-pitch TH400]. Built the turbo manifolds. The metal work comes easy, due to my trade. [sheet metal worker/welding teacher].

I can't start on the Opel until the truck is done. Promised Wifie. I hope to finish truck over this winter. Eager to start on the Opel, so maybe that'll motivate me on the truck. I promise that I WILL finish the Opel.

Ron,

I've read all of the engine swap threads here. The 3.4/T5 looks like a nice swap. I'm into turbo'd stuff, so I need only a 4 to meet my goals. I have no desire to go quicker than 10.0, since the 9s bring all sorts of hassles with a competition license, certs on the car, etc.

Adam, [sorry for not calling you by name the first time. Not intentional]

I suggest heading out west if you need a rust free car. Money well spent imo.

All,

Btw - another Opel inspired me. It's a sb chev powered pro-streeter owned by Bruce Tuerck of West Chester Ohio. It looks real nice, imo. Sits low with skinnie/fat Weld rims and a tasteful scoop [a must w/a sbc, I assume]. I have an Oct 2000 HotRod with a pic of it. I've googled for more, but I've not found it anywhere on-line.

Regards,
    Dave

Thread Information