NEW GUY~take a look
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW GUY~take a look

Downloads
    Uploads

LightbulbNEW GUY~take a look

Well this is it.....i bought a 1969 Opel GT a few months ago.....i need some insight on a path to take with it.....either soupin it up a bit(which i would like better) or restoring it (which has been sugested to me by many people)...i personally think the original look is quite dull....my next post will describe the condition and what i have done with it so far......any information or suggestions anyone has is greatly appreciated....and if anyone has a source for parts it would help tremendously

THANKS!
    ~jim~

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dude,
    We have it all here. My advice, I'm on my third, is to find the right car (without too much cancer), and do the best quality work that you can afford. That way, when you are finished you don't end up with a freak show car that neither you or I would want. Also, keep in mind, If you can get it running, drive it! If not, the more you take apart, the more it is going to cost, Opel parts aren't expensive, but they are not cheap either. Last, enjoy yourself, lots of good folks in the community, dudes that will bend over backward for you, just to help you get the most from your opel (Rbob!) Enjoy!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jim, for parts, there are three basic places to go, well four, if you put a request out on the site and someone can help with their stash. Not necessarily in order, Opel GT Source www.opelgtsource,com , USA Opel, www.usaopel.com and Opels Unlimited, don't know their website, but you can do a google search for them. HTH.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

condition~

well thanks for all the tips....actually my opel runs pretty good, the carb. is a holly and i the previous owner did a crappy job of fitting it to the intake manifold.....i would like to find an original carb and air filter assembly for it......oh and im looking for exhaust ideas......i can get the original remanufactured exhaust but i dont like it....i rather fit it with side pipes...thats my opinion...i think it would look better. i know its a 1.9 and it sounds like a loud tractor without the exhaust. i was looking into cherry bombs or flowmasters....dont know. and the paint job on it is remarkable.....has been done pretty well.....i found a few "cancer" spots on it..nothing serious.....and a crap load of bondo under the front but it looks great.....ill try and post a few pictures on here when i get a chance.
    engine has less than 80,000 on it and a major part im lookign for are motor mounts.....or substitutes let me know

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jim r
    well thanks for all the tips....actually my opel runs pretty good, the carb. is a holly and i the previous owner did a crappy job of fitting it to the intake manifold.....i would like to find an original carb and air filter assembly for it......
    NO you don't- Not a Solex- put a Weber on it

Texas Opel Preservation Society

Downloads
    Uploads
    why not solex and why a weber?

Downloads
    Uploads

another problem

because of my motor mounts being "chitty" it shakes like crazy. it loosens the gear housing on the transmission and i cant seem to get them tight enough and im afraid the top bolts onit (the ones i cant reach) are loose. i have been reading posts on similar problems and im extremely hesitent on pulling the motor/tranny out.....i have never done anytign that extensive and i am afraid to attemt. but motor mounts and weather stripping are the 2 main concerns with my opel.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mounts

Jim, Welcome to the Opel Community.

Have a look on-line at www.opelgtsource.com and go through their catalogue.
    The engine mounts are the same on both sides part #7001 @ $29 each
    It also pays to check out the gearbox mount too part #7002 @ $38
    ...that is the latest pricing I have - so check with "the Source."
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Kick a little asphalt MantAscona's Avatar
    Real Name
    Duane
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the club Jim. Where are you located in Pennsylvania? We are having a meet on Saturday in Plumsteadville, about 35 miles north of Philadelphia. It would be a good opportunity for you to gather information and it would be nice to meet you. Let me know if you need directions.

Duane
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Duane;

Good idea. This way he can see if he wants to go stock(Rick's GT) or modified, your Manta. See you about noon??

Jeff
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Real Name
    Duane
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Jeff,
    I don't know if Jim will be back on here in time to see the post about the meet. Short notice for him too, but it would be nice to have one more here tomorrow.

Duane
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Real Name
    Thom Tate
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jim r
    why not solex and why a weber?

Dude, trust us. Ask 1000 Opel owners and 999 of them will tell you to dump the solex and get the weber. Why? The Solex is garbage. Total garbage.

I think the carb swap is the #1 modification suggestion made.

Oh, and as for the 1 out of 1000 that suggests the solex? We have him locked up polishing valve covers. i think he still has another 250 or so to go.
    Thom - Ich liebe mein GT

I've had my 71 GT since I was 3 when my father brought it home, and I'll have it till the day I die!!!!

Real Name
    Thom Tate
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yeah, and if you really want a bunch of mods... go here
    http://www.lenk-opel-tuning.de/
    Thom - Ich liebe mein GT

I've had my 71 GT since I was 3 when my father brought it home, and I'll have it till the day I die!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    i live in a small town southeast of Reading. but yes let me know of all the info of the "get together", ill see what i can do.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Would that town be Fleetwood??

Downloads
    Uploads
    close lol Birdsboro

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You are about 1.5 hours away from this weekend's event. Come on down Opel or not. Maybe Rick will bring his "Solex Vitamen dispenser" to show you the proper use of a Solex.

Downloads
    Uploads
    what time is this being held?....i have somethgn going on in the evening

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

I run a weber on my 72 and never have a problem but I did own a 69 with a solex and had nothing but trouble. that being said there are a couple of well known Opelers on the site that are quite fond of the solex. Dave has had very good luck with them and last time I saw him... he wasn't polishing valve covers. I have never posted an avatar but Jim r... yours definitely has my courosity up. Can you explain the origin and meaning of yours. From what I can see its Jessie Jacksons head on a little girl with pigtails body. Whats up with that??? I gotta know

Real Name
    Duane
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Jim,
    The address is 5472 Stump Rd. Plumsteadville, PA 18949 if you want to mapquest it. Starts at 11am and goes all night. Please stop over and have some fun with us.

Duane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information